• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: True Tears Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently watching True Tears (just finished episode 4). I must say I disagree with this review. Carl's comments on the first episode ("torturous hell", "simply awful", "dreadful beginning") make me think he must've been in a really bad mood when he watched it. I like the way the show seems to have confidence in its slow pace, with the beautiful imagery to back it up. I didn't find Shinchiro's poetic musings to be bad, but they do raise the question of whether he's an artist or a writer (supposed to be an artist).

I don't see how music can be both "nondescript" and "painfully obvious". I find the music generally unobtrusive, with occasional high points.

Carl's comment "We've seen this series before—young man in a gorgeous rural city gets entangled with a variety of sad girls" - well, I guess I don't watch enough mainstream anime to have spotted this trend.

"Nishimura salts the series liberally with memorable images: a silk-smooth CGI-enhanced basketball game for instance" - I thought that CGI basketball hoop stood out like a sore thumb, actually.

"Everything about this release screams “dumped on the market”: the two disc/thirteen episode breakdown, the lack of an English dub, the dearth of extras, the rock-bottom pricing, even the subtitles, littered as they are with embarrassing typos (vial/vile? Please)" - obviously wrong, this DVD release was predictive of things to come (and what, you'd prefer to pay for four individual volumes?), and it's perfectly adequate for an admittedly minor release. I noticed the typos (though one specific instance does not make it "littered" with errors), but I've seen much worse in my time.
geremi99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Grico wrote:
Honestly, I didn't support Shinichiro's decision at the end personally, but I thought it ultimately was more realistic (...)
Although I don't like Hiromi, on some level I think she is an interesting character because when push comes to shove she is willing to lie and cheat to gain the man she loves. Loving Shinichiro brings out that bad side of her, when before she was trying to just be a "perfect" girl. That makes the audience dislike her but also makes her different from the pure moral girls we see in most of the dating sim based anime. She isn't a bland silent, "nice" girl, as she seems in the beginning of the series. She is willing to do what it takes to win her man, and I think that is ultimately interesting.

I completely agree. True Tears is an interesting series, I truly liked it (even the bitter-sweet ending).

It doesn't surprise me from Carl: he rated an extremely lame show as 'Air Master' with A- . I started to skip his reviews, they are often misleading.
ChrisH8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The review totally overlooks the other central theme of True Tears, that of overcoming tragedy and moving on with one's life. The story is very uplifting and not just about romance. spoiler[The Noe character along with her chicken fascination] and the opening theme song are mainly about the former theme. Part of the Hiromi character is about the former theme.

Obviously Carl Kimlinger doesn't like characters with reserved personalities. For others like that, it's better to focus more on the actions of the Shinichiro and Hiromi characters rather than their words.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I like the way the show seems to have confidence in its slow pace, with the beautiful imagery to back it up.

Just to update - I ended up dropping this series halfway through, due to boredom at the slow pace and silly manipulative plot events, and finding the characters to be unsympathetic (despite being presented as otherwise). Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2