• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks, Section23 Add To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
2. How the heck does this come over to the states before Reborn and Gintama?

Because
1) It ended.
2) Reborn and Gintama have no foreseeable end.
3) It has boobs and mostly nekid girls, exactly what ADV likes to sell.
se37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, here's hope for the To Love-Ru manga to come here, since we are getting the anime (which the manga is ALOT better then the anime)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Well let me start by saying how much of a shame it is to mislabel works like To-Love-Ru and Rosario+Vampire as "shounen." They're NOT "shounen."

They ran in a shonen magazine. They're shonen.

Nor are they particularly unusual; shonen romantic comedies have been around for ages-- Ranma 1/2, Video Girl Ai and Kimagure Orange Road, for instance.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Alright! More subbed only anime! Maybe they can save more money by pandering to the truly hardcore and release it raw only.

Gee, I guess you didn't get the memo on the US anime industry shrinking by over 50% the past six years!

It's a minor miracle 4 companies are releasing new anime semi-monthly with the low numbers of anime fans who actually support them. While the companies do bear a certain amount of responsible for their situation with market overspeculation and agreeing to bad deals with Japanese licensors the overbearing narcissistic nature of many domestic anime fans never ceases to amaze me!

I know I'd much rather get a decently subbed, LEGALLY licensed version of a show than support bootleggers or fans who can't be bothered to get a job and legally pay for the licensed DVD product!

You can't always get everything you want. Frankly, I'd rather get 13 episodes of a show on 2-3 DVDs subtitled for $30-$40 than spend $30 for 4 episodes per bilingual DVD... I still remember the days in the early 1990s when we were lucky to get 45 minutes of anime on a $30 VHS tape!

Much better to get a show over here that you want in a quality legal form with at least English subtitles than nothing at all.

Most of the people posting here DO get it and I appreciate that but some of you are crab apples who still don't see the precarious nature of the domestic anime industry...
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Sentai Filmworks needs to give all their animes English dubs! They're gonna pay, those sub-only S.O.Bs!!!!!!!!
leewill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
I totally agree. They keep picking up all these good series or ones im interested and releasing them in f***ing sub-only sets. No dub means no sale for me with few exceptions.

I kinda wish they would go back and dub some of their better selling series. Didn't Matt Greenfield say awhile back not to completely rule out the possibility of a dub for Clannad, because the sub-only sets sold pretty well so Sentai was considering it?

I couldn't agree more except with the no sale part if I like an anime Ill still get it sub only. To Love Ru is something I've been waiting for and the fact that it's not getting a dub pisses me off so much. I was thinking about this the other day and I'm pretty sure that Sentai haven't dubbed anything. I know the industry isn't like it used to but surely they could dub 1 or 2 titles at least, I mean in ADV's big reshuffle one of their new companies got their dubbing studio didn't they.

I do remember reading somewhere, on ANN I think, that Matt Greenfield did say if things sold well then they'd consider dubbing things. I don't know how well they sold but I wouldn't hold my breath for a dub.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Sentai Filmworks needs to give all their animes English dubs! They're gonna pay, those sub-only S.O.Bs!!!!!!!!

Can your brain register the fact that if Sentai didn't release To Love Ru, it most likely wouldn't have made it over here to the USA at all?

No? Well geez, you must be stupid.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Can your brain register the fact that if Sentai didn't release To Love Ru, it most likely wouldn't have made it over here to the USA at all?

1. I know that if Sentai didn't pick up To-Love-Ru, it wouldn't be here, but who wants to watch an absurdly cheap DVD where you can't understand what everyone's saying because there's no English language option on the DVD?
2. ADV had an awesome range of VAs for their dubs. Sentai is just skipping out on them. If we had more VAs in Sentai's animes, they'd get more money's worth.
3. A dub can gaiin a wider audience, which can allow Sentai to keep dubbing, and take back ADV's success that FUNimation stole.
5. I'm not waiting 5 years for CLANNAD to get a dub like I did with Ghost in the Shell 2.
6. You're Megiddo_Bunshin from ASMB, aren't you? Well I don't care if you think I'm stupid. I might as well report you for calling someone with a mental condition (which isn't all that f*cked up in my head) stupid!
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but that's just mean.

So, if people are cheesed off by sub-only releases because they've already watched the show subbed and don't want to spend money on something with nothing new to offer that they may never even watch again, why don't you just not watch it before it gets released here in order to save yourself from angst? That way you'll get to enjoy it no matter what format it's in, and judge the release on the show's worth and not the DVD's. That's what I do, and it works pretty well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Dubbing something as tawdry and niche as To-Love-RU would most likely cause Sentai to lose money.

1. Economy sucks. Consumer spending is way down.
2. Plethora of crappy (and also superior!) shounen romance titles already out there.
3. No existing manga released here for there to be a fanbase.

So with this already oversaturated market of boobs and Urusei Yatsura wannabe's (which is all To-LOVE-Ru is), there is not a significant amount of audience that would merit having this title dubbed.

Anyway, Sentai/ADV is still hurting from Sojitz. I'd say we're lucky that they are still licensing anything at all, whether it's dubbed or not.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:

And of course you'll believe that, do you. Here's an idea; "thinking for yourself." Cool

Quote:
Nor are they particularly unusual; shonen romantic comedies have been around for ages-- Ranma 1/2, Video Girl Ai and Kimagure Orange Road, for instance.

To quote Arnold Swartzenegger: Ya, but dey ah ALL BAHD.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
No. Dubbing would help it. People want Englush audio? Then they got English audio.

1. The economy doesn't suck. You suck for thinking that.
2. Shounen Romance - FTW
3. Who f*cking cares? Cowboy Bebop didn't have a manga, and it was HUGE in the US. Huge enough to be on Adult Swim.

I want dubbed anime. Not your stupid complaints against me. I'm in a rut over a broken computer and some unsuccessful Minesweeper games. I don't want you to push me beyond ranting about a lack of a dub of a series I never watched (but should) into a game of cat-and-also-cat.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Loganator456 wrote:
YAY! Now all they need to liscence is Rosario + Vampire and a few others and my dream will come true. xD

Actually if anyone should license the R+V anime,it should be Viz.
Yeah, I honestly don't care who just that it gets licensed. I also want Nagasarete Airantou, Akikan, etc.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Myaow wrote:

And of course you'll believe that, do you. Here's an idea; "thinking for yourself." Cool

Quote:

To quote Arnold Swartzenegger: Ya, but dey ah ALL BAHD.

...what
Netstryke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that To Love-Ru got picked up, but Come on, Man!
Another sub-only series?! Geez!!

Eventually they'll learn that if they want to gain new fans to anime, they got to cater to everybody and not just to the sub purists.

Last edited by Netstryke on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7