• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Neo Model Army

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Bounty Arms: You know, I think I saw that artwork a long time ago when I was younger. Maybe in a game magazine if I recall.

Frontier Exceed: Hopefully it has some cool anthro folks like Endless Frontier did.

FFXIII: I'm sure FF fans are peeing themselves silly after seeing that trailer. The English dub of it doesn't seem as bad as my friend said it was. And I do recognize some actors (Kirk Thornton). I don't know if I'm going to give as big a hoot as other people. I mean XII was a huge letdown and I don't have as much faith in FF as I used to. We'll see...

Toshinden: Anime-cliché attacks? You're going to have to run that one by me.

Half-Minute Hero: I'm strangely interested in this, if only because of the premise of saving the world or the day in 30 seconds. However, I do not approve of the dragonslaying quest.

Hero's Saga: It's easy for me to remember the title since I've seen the word Laevatein often and your Leviathan joke was cute. Too bad I don't own a DS. It seems that system is getting all the SRPGs.

Magnacarta 2: Well Hyung's art is certainly amazing to behold. And he finally drew a character I'll definitely get into (hint hint, he's nonhuman). So I will get this. I know the first MC was a load of monkey stuff due to its slow system and extremely flat English dub, but after watching my friend on YouTube play the Japanese version, I'm definitely sold.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Heyyyy I happen to LIKE the strange Korean Magna Carta art >_>...

Same here but don't have a Xbox 360 but I do have the Atlus release for Magna Carta for PS2 and I am interested in preordering Magna Carta 2 from Gamestop just to get the artbook you get for reserving.

Hm, Gamestop gives you an artbook for reserving it? Now I am tempted to do that. But, after watching a trailer of it some time ago, I don't think it's worth it at full price. Everything about it seemed so...mediocre. But maybe the actual game will be otherwise. I'm not willing to get nailed $60 to find out though...Also, am I the only one that thinks at least 2-3 of the characters sound like some from Code Geass?

Personally I think Demon's Souls should be a game you review in this column. I'm rather interested to hear Todd's take on it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Bounty Arms certainly looks interesting... Too bad it never came out. Anyway, Todd, I found it ironic that you started this article with a Data East game, but you didn't mention anything about the recently announced Data East Arcade Classics Wii arcade compilation that Majesco will be releasing early next year.

Also, I like this part about Toshinden:
Quote:
It looks a bit like Konami's unfortunate Castlevania: Judgment fighting game, and we all know how that ended up

You mean how Castlevania Judgment was a fun, free-roaming fighting game? You do know that plenty of people enjoy the game, right? If Toshinden ends up like Judgment then I think it will be a fine game... But it does desperately need a cameo or guest appearance from someone like Eiji for Vermilion.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meowth was yanked after his profane tirade at this year's E3.

Was this supposed to be a reference to something?
Quote:
Ain't I a stinker?

I know this was.

Hey, Casey Loe!! I recognize that guy! He writes for Nintendo Power these days! Easily the best writer they have on staff, his articles are always interesting and his reviews always informative. I knew he wrote various video game strategy guides for years, but I didn't know he worked for anime magazines in the 90's. Well, hell, that's awesome. I love that guy.

Also, I'm kind of intrigued by Half-Minute Hero I downloaded the demo and it was kind of fun, but I have some serious questions over whether it might get severely repetitive/frustrating over the course of an entire game. Even the demo levels were a little annoying. But on the other hand, it seems like a unique, fun concept with a nice tongue-in-cheek sensibility - it reminded me of something outta WarioWare, one of my favorite series. So, I dunno. I'd be curious to see it reviewed here.

Also, is this new SRWOGS game still developed by Monolith Soft? That will have a lot to do with whether I take any interest in it whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice to hear of a new Way of the Samurai game. I really enjoyed the previous two, and wonder why there are more games that allow as much control over the storyline. I'll definitely have to pick that one up eventually.

The Brutal legend demo was rather fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haipaa_Koneko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Ju-on The Grudge...seriously? That's what nintendo gives us as a horror game after denying us Fatal Frame 4 anywhere outside of Japan, without any reason? For the Fail on nintendo's part, that's all I have to say to that. >-<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I am so going out of my way to grab BRÜTAL LEGEND. It sounds so... metal. Cool
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
Ruin Explorers action RPG

It's already been done. It was called Popfull Mail.
Vent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Imagine if you will being a Super Robot Wars fan and spending the entire week hearing rumors about a new game being announced. Imagine the building excitement as you picture what console it could be on, what new series it could include, how the gameplay will be tweaked and so on...

And then you find out it's just a sequel to a bad RPG that only exists because Banpresto can't say "no" to the director of Namco x Capcom.

To say i'm disappointed would be an understatement. Somewhat like saying lodging a pencil in your frontal lobe is not the best way to write a grocery list.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
Ah, Thexder. I remember Thexder. I could never get farther than the third or fourth level in that. :p I assume this is based off of the first Thexder and lacks the power ups more exploratory game play of the sequel?

Wow. ANOTHER Endless Frontier? Great. At least we know it'll see a US release... Of course, OG3 would've been a LOT better. :p
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
Enter a fantasy world where women are sculpted out of barely cohesive honey and suet.

This notion is intruiging.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:57 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Todd wrote:
Ruin Explorers action RPG

It's already been done. It was called Popfull Mail.

Ruin Explorers and Popful Mail kicked ass. I was kind of sad that Ruin Explorers didn't get it's own full series.
Popful Mail and Ruin Explorers had the same quirkiness to them and were both fantasies, but that's really where the similarities ended.

Todd wrote:
That doesn't keep it from being an engaging tale, and I dare say it's an injustice that Slayers spans about twelve thousand anime episodes while the more endearing comedy of Ruin Explorers goes completely ignored.

I don't think it's an injustice. I find Slayers to be quite enjoyable. Ruin Explorers was endearing because it was so short. Sure it would have been nice to see Ruin Explorers last longer, but both you and I know that if it went on as long as Slayers it would do the exact same thing. I.E. Repeat gags and the like.

Shadow Skill would have transferred to a fighting game fairly easily, but so would just about any other anime that involves fighting as it's central theme. I enjoyed the anime series for a while until for some inexplicable reason they decided to change the main focus from Elle to her brother Gau. Maybe that's because Gau sounds like a whiny little $%#&* whether he's being voiced by the English or Japanese VA. His lines didn't do much to endear him to me either.
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
at least we get the OG titles for SRW games... besides even if the rest of the SRW games never go localized, the hardcore gaming community will translate them for us uninitiated.

by the way, a game based on Shadow Skill will be pretty much like Bushido Blade... exhilirating reflex fights with decisive fatal hits. now if only they also allow a DMC like game but with Kenshiro or Raoh from FotNS as playable characters then we're all set to get run down by censorship protests. Very Happy
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
I love Thexder. But I also like Silpheed (another Game Arts hit localized for DOS by Sierra)

Firehawk (Thexder 2) is even better and Thexder 95 is great too (you can turn into a tank and a jet) but 95 refuses to run on Windows XP period for me.

If I had a PSP I'd get Thexder Neo just because it seems a little bit easier than the original and the remix of the famous main theme sounds beautiful.

Also if that new SRW game gets localized Atlus should dub it just for the heck of it.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Also if that new SRW game gets localized Atlus should dub it just for the heck of it.

My guess is Atlus will get it for cheap once again and have no dub at all but in addition make the text just as hilarious or even more hilarious then the previous one. Besides it might be hard to fit 2 language audio tracks on a handheld game. Now on the other hand if we were able to get the PS2 games there wouldn't be any problem with disc space but Atlus only gets the Nintendo games except I don't think they released the ones for Gamecube.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3