• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Film Announced for 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chappers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
hey wait a second. The last episode aired last Friday? I haven't seen any new episodes for like a month...

The last four episodes shown were from the first series animated, but showing the new series in chronological order meant they were shown after all the new episodes.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
hey wait a second. The last episode aired last Friday?

The last episode (which was a repeat from the original TV run) actually aired today, since it's already Friday in Japan.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Too bad season 2 won't be able to sell in the United States. As for how bad season 1 sold compared how they thought, I couldn't imagine how abysmally season 2 could go. Except for lobotomized Japanese fans, I don't see how anyone could be apologetic about endless eight, or justify it.
TriezGamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually LIKE the Endless Eight episodes. They're really fun if you watch em with someone else and turn it into a game -- See who can spot the most unique or different things in each episode. You can almost make it a drinking game.

Now, if you don't have friends (or otherwise are unable to watch things with friends), then I suppose they might get a bit repetitive. But personally, I think it's one of the most entertaining arcs in the series.
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Too bad season 2 won't be able to sell in the United States. As for how bad season 1 sold compared how they thought, I couldn't imagine how abysmally season 2 could go. Except for lobotomized Japanese fans, I don't see how anyone could be apologetic about endless eight, or justify it.

I think that the film certainly would sell, providing its a success. At least it can follow on perfectly well, even if you only take season 1 into account. Plus, there will be another wave of hype ripping through Japan, so I guess maybe.... attract more fans?? Let's look at this separately from Endless Eight, I've heard enough ranting about it to be honest.

Last edited by Luna Loving on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
2 words: Simply Amazing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
TriezGamer wrote:
I actually LIKE the Endless Eight episodes. They're really fun if you watch em with someone else and turn it into a game -- See who can spot the most unique or different things in each episode. You can almost make it a drinking game.

Now, if you don't have friends (or otherwise are unable to watch things with friends), then I suppose they might get a bit repetitive. But personally, I think it's one of the most entertaining arcs in the series.

Okay, but would you like to pay $40+ to do that? Each Endless Eight episode would be costing you $3 or more.

Luna Loving wrote:
I think that the film certainly would sell, providing its a success. At least it can follow on perfectly well, even if you only take season 1 into account. Plus, there will be another wave of hype ripping through Japan, so I guess maybe.... attract more fans?? Let's look at this separately from Endless Eight, I've heard enough ranting about it to be honest.

It could work in America if they sold the seasons in its entirety, but only made it the price of a 7 episode show, because that's all you effectively have. Even the non-EE episodes weren't that good when you compare them to the first season. So even just talking about those 6 episodes, they still weren't as entertaining.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
TriezGamer wrote:

Fantastic, no one is going to pay 40 bucks so they can play a drinking game with friends. No one cares about how it looks to people who illegaly download it. They don't make any money for that.
hussar67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Great! I'm tired of anime movies being mere re-treads of a television series or "alternate universe" scenarios. And frankly, I think more light novels should be turned into movies, as opposed to series, because they're essential single-shot plots.

secretly wishes the Full Metal Panic! novel 'Continuing On My Own' gets adapted into a movie, rather than a series
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Knowing Haruhi franchise, assuming high quality release, this movie could easily end up in top 10 on ANN.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even the non-EE episodes weren't that good when you compare them to the first season.

Actually, I thought the last two episodes of Sighs were two of the best episodes in the entire series.

It's too bad everyone was too sour at that point to enjoy them, but I will purchase the DVDs that have the Sighs episodes on them when they're licensed, if I can get away with doing that without buying any Endless Eight episodes.

Anyway, Disappearance as a film? Are they sure they'll be able to get in everything?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to become just as happy as the time I first saw Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody back in may Laughing But *sighhh* the DVD release is most likely going to be in 2011

I have to wait two whole years just to see my spoiler[smiling Yuki... Crying or Very sad ]

The trailer in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZUTiCAuccw&feature=player_embedded
roesnail

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even the non-EE episodes weren't that good when you compare them to the first season.

Actually, I thought the last two episodes of Sighs were two of the best episodes in the entire series.

It's too bad everyone was too sour at that point to enjoy them, but I will purchase the DVDs that have the Sighs episodes on them when they're licensed, if I can get away with doing that without buying any Endless Eight episodes.

Anyway, Disappearance as a film? Are they sure they'll be able to get in everything?

if anime ep's are like 22-24 mins long. and they make the movie around 2hrs long. its like 5+ episodes. i dont know how long the novel is though
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Like someone else said, I would have rather gotten a 3rd season of the series, but I'll look forward to this regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Lonecow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
What if that whole Endless Eight silliness was just a feint to throw us all off so we would be talking about that so much, that news about a movie being made wouldn't get out and it would be a big surprise.

Honestly, with the way they handled season 2, and how long it look them to make it, I'm happy if they just do the rest of the series in movie form. It gives them less chance to try and pull one over on us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7