• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Film Announced for 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is great! What is better than moe on TV? Moe in the form of a motion picture. I only saw some of season 2 but Haruhi is not really interesting to me. One reason is because if I watched Endless Eight, it would be essentially watching the same episode (with some differences) 8 freaking times.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
(BAWWWWW ENDLESS EIGHT BAWWWW STUDIO NOT DOING EXACTLY WHAT I WANT IT TO)

All I can say is: giving Kyoto Animation a feature-film's budget? Oh heck yes. Their TV stuff is pretty enough as it is; this is going to be a sight to behold. Can't wait to see how it looks.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm of the "they owe us" school.

And as for purchasing Endless Eight, hopefully whoever licenses the second season will figure out a way to let us get as much of the new season and as little of Endless Eight as possible, just for their own sales (I'm thinking of how Bandai stuck all the Wolf's Rain recaps onto one DVD). You could do it like so:
DVD1
Bamboo Rhapsody, Endless Eight 1-3
DVD 2
Endless Eight 4-7 [for most of us to skip]
DVD 3
Endless Eight 8, Sigh 1-2
DVD 4
Sigh 3-5
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Wow, this is great! What is better than moe on TV? Moe in the form of a motion picture. I only saw some of season 2 but Haruhi is not really interesting to me. One reason is because if I watched Endless Eight, it would be essentially watching the same episode (with some differences) 8 freaking times.

I'm of the opinion that Haruhi isn't really a "moe" show. It's really more of a clever school story show with a twist of sci-fi. It does have some moe elements, but they're mainly played for laughs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
Like someone else said, I would have rather gotten a 3rd season of the series, but I'll look forward to this regardless.

Actually let's start with a second series shall we before jumping the gun to a third. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
LuckySeven wrote:
Like someone else said, I would have rather gotten a 3rd season of the series, but I'll look forward to this regardless.

Actually let's start with a second series shall we before jumping the gun to a third. Wink

Face it, what we just had was the second season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I know nothing. Anyway I much would have preferred a tv format to a movie.
The Infernal Dragoon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with Myaow. Endless Eight isn't some kind of new direction the show is/was heading, its over now and that's that. The plot of Disappearance lends itself to a feature-length film, and if (emphasis on 'if') fans fled the Haruhi franchise during Endless Eight the best way to win them back is to sit them down to watch a well written and well-drawn film rather than bank on them to 'test the waters' over a period of 3-4 weeks in a new TV series.

I wonder if this will start a trend? If I recall there are several plots in the light novels that take up an entire novel, or most of one, as opposed to some of the earlier novels which contained multiple small stories. Releasing movies that will sell well regularly is probably a better way to approach the franchise than 12 episode seasons which contain only 2 or 3 multi-episode plots.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, great news, great news. I hope they'll have the sense to continue. The story gets even better after Disappearance, although I'm sure they'll wait until the author finished his tenth novel (it's supposed to have a conclusion for both of those parallel stories, right?).

hussar: they should do the whole end of the story, not just COMO. That makes several movies or a full season. I suppose they're waiting for the final novel as well.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
LuckySeven wrote:

Face it, what we just had was the second season.

More like Haruhi Suzumiya 1.5 Laughing
It was just a re-run with new episodes into the first season.

And the Disappearnce movie isn't really no surprise. If you lingered long enough on the Haruhi boards/sites, speculation of a Disappearance movie was up in the air, including a real second season or an OVA for it.

And about E8, if they can regularly dub maybe 2 or 3 episodes of it & abridged the rest, I would definitely buy the DVDs. There's nothing like enjoying a gag dub by your awesome friendly english voice actors lol
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Luna Loving wrote:
Let's just assume for now that they are not willing to waste money on a movie, even if they would do a TV series. Let's just hope that the stakes are too high. :/

I imagine announcing it right now, and clearly without the usual trolling, is part of damage control for the franchise and to salvage DVD sales for Endless. The message is, "Here, now we are really going to give you what we should have in season 2. Please buy the Endless DVDs."
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

I'm of the opinion that Haruhi isn't really a "moe" show. It's really more of a clever school story show with a twist of sci-fi. It does have some moe elements, but they're mainly played for laughs.

Yeah, it parodies moe more than it actually indulges in it. Asahina is the stereotype of a moe girl played (mostly) for laughs - hence why she's totally pathetic and way cooler as a not-moe-but-gorgeous adult.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
OMG YES!!!

When Endless Eight finished and the movie-shooting arc started, I developed my own (although likely common) little hypothesis that Disappearance would be an extension of the second season or an OVA... now we know it's a movie :D

Can't wait to see this arc animated!! If all goes well, maybe KyoAni can gain back the "street cred" they lost this season~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PhoenixHeart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Nice news, but the thought of a Endless-Eight-inspired troll-movie also came to my mind - especially imagining the reactions in cinemas is a delighting and horrifying thought at the same time.
Ohhh dear ::Kyon facepalm:: But I feel it's unlikely, as someone stated before - it's probably over and done with that experimental phase. So, great to see a Haruhi movie to make up for the controversial steaming pile of Voldemort.

BunnyCupCakes wrote:

And about E8, if they can regularly dub maybe 2 or 3 episodes of it & abridged the rest, I would definitely buy the DVDs. There's nothing like enjoying a gag dub by your awesome friendly english voice actors lol

Nice idea actually, that could make it not just bearable, but even enjoyable (if it's truly shortened down, in abridged fashion). As German, I don't know the American anime dub scene well enough, yet I know and respect quite a few of "your" voice-actors. So has this actually been done before on a DVD release?
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
...Amazing.I am too happy for words.

I actually expected the Disappearance arc to have a surprise air date (with KyoAni, you never know--look what happened with Endless Eight), or an OVA...but a movie? I'm very excited Anime catgrin! I just sincerely hope they don't pull another stunt like Endless Eight.

I was disappointed with the second season that I had anticipated so much, but hopefully the movie will make up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7