• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Film Announced for 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Just died a little inside do to this news.

I'm so happy, yay a movie!

now I hope the animation does not look K-on! like
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder if Haruhi is gonna disappear forever, then I'd be a happy man.

Hah, some otaku might just stab me for saying that.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
This is great news.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Too bad season 2 won't be able to sell in the United States. As for how bad season 1 sold compared how they thought, I couldn't imagine how abysmally season 2 could go.

It's not that no-one bought season 1, it's just that not that many went nuts over the LEs and single volumes. The anime market has entered an era where people are less interested in those and more in half- or full-season sets. There's no reason season 2 can't sell in the US, provided it's marketed correctly. (Endless Eight does make this a challenge, but not an insurmountable one.)

Luna Loving wrote:
Let's look at this separately from Endless Eight, I've heard enough ranting about it to be honest.

I'm in complete agreement here. At this point, I'm more annoyed by people whining about Endless Eight than I ever was about Endless Eight itself.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Eight episodes made like a "spot the difference" game? That's their idea of a tv season? They're taking the piss. I didn't think the seasons were that short in Japan. I wouldn't trust anything KyoAni does after this stunt. Better off just reading the novels.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, we can whine about Endless Eight because IT IS A PART OF THE SHOW. Hell, it's more than half of the show. You can't market it to people who watched the fansubs and didn't like, despite loving the first season, which is a lot. The same people who were rabid about the first season just flat out dropped this one, not even bothering to pick up after Endless Eight finished. I think that's a fairly bad sign. Even a friend of mine who had bought the first season expressed no interest in finishing the second. You can can't count on retarded blind fanboyism to be the same here that it is in Japan.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The endless eight episodes are a good proportion of the series so far, but over time the more episodes that are added to the series will reduce its percentage.
If there were 100 episodes of Haruhi, the 8 episodes of endless eight will seem like nothing.

of course this all depends if KyoAni make decent episodes in the future.

I'm not pleased that the disappearance arc is going to be covered in one film. Thats only going to be the equivalent of 3 episodes. It would have been better stretched out over 6 episodes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, but movies are such a pain in the ass for us viewers not in Japan who have to wait more than a year to see it after it's premiere. Looks like a have to add another one to the already long list of anime movies I'm anticipating. I think that makes like the 14th now. Crying or Very sad

Mohawk52 wrote:
Eight episodes made like a "spot the difference" game? That's their idea of a tv season? They're taking the piss. I didn't think the seasons were that short in Japan. I wouldn't trust anything KyoAni does after this stunt. Better off just reading the novels.

Technically, there were 14 episodes in the new season that were new. Endless Eight just wasted eight of those fourteen though. The rest were more than worth watching.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
The endless eight episodes are a good proportion of the series so far, but over time the more episodes that are added to the series will reduce its percentage.
If there were 100 episodes of Haruhi, the 8 episodes of endless eight will seem like nothing.

of course this all depends if KyoAni make decent episodes in the future.

I'm not pleased that the disappearance arc is going to be covered in one film. Thats only going to be the equivalent of 3 episodes. It would have been better stretched out over 6 episodes.

There aren't going to be 100 episodes of Haruhi. Realistically, even in a 52 episode show, 8 episodes is still quite the percentage and represents two whole DVDs that you might as well toss out. KyoAni could have reconciled Endless Eight by mixing up each episode and doing things such as different view points, different styles, gender-bending, etc. But they did the cheap route. Yes, they did have different camera angles and different clothes, but your basic animation and storyboarding are already completed.

And a movie's episode "worth" depends on its length. An hour is about 3 episodes, a typical 90 minute movie is like 4 episodes, and a full two hour movie (which I seriously doubt) is like 5-6.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
ya more Haruhi I just cant wait tell the second season come to the US
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
They could have cut the Endless Eight crap, which essentially killed the series, down to 2 or 3 eps and added the Disappearance arc into the 2nd season.
Instead they honestly think they can justify a movie out of this?
Sorry folks but the franchaise barely has enough fans left to warrent a movie.
RIP Haruhi.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Wooo! Disappearance Movie! I hope Bandai liscenses the second season, I haven't seen it yet. I think that a gag dub of the endless eight would be great.

Woo! New movie!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Well am I excited about the movie. I still don't get why everyone is trippin over this Endless Eight thing- its called the Endless Eight. I enjoyed the second season and I want to buy it. Watching it subbed this season sort of made me not care for a dub (even though it was pretty good) so i'll take it either way.

As for the movie- i'm all over that. The Disappearance is one of the parts I wanted to see most. I just got converted to Haruhi-ism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I still don't get why everyone is trippin over this Endless Eight thing

I'm trippin over this show generally. For some weird and unknown reason I've come to hate this anime.
And no, it's not about the endless whatever. It's all about Haruhi's ways of treating her friends. Screw that, she's just too stupid, I have no patience for people like her.

Last edited by egoist on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Manwards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this! The two reasons I was hesitant when this was first speculated still stand - a shorter running time and a longer waiting time - but when I think about Kyoto Animation with a film budget, and how ridiculously faithful to the series they've been to date, I'm sure they'll do a great job. They're hardly going to butcher it. In hindsight, this seems like the execution of a strategy they've had in place since 2007, if not earlier.

Also, this way, I might actually be able to read the light novel first! Yen Press should be releasing their translation next October, assuming they keep to the schedule they've established so far. That would certainly be a novelty. They missed Sigh by about a month.

And while I'm exhausted with praising "Endless Eight" (not defending it, as I believe a work speaks for itself, and the opinions of its viewers, positive or negative, mean very little), I thoroughly enjoyed it. Watched every episode twice, and was arguably more emotionally invested in it than any other arc to date. Haruhi isn't a normal story. It hasn't been since "Boredom" was serialised before "Melancholy". I applaud KyoAni for taking their time, enjoying themselves, and experimenting with the material. I hope they do something similarly surprising in the future.
redcar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
At this point, I'm more annoyed by people whining about Endless Eight than I ever was about Endless Eight itself.

I love you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7