• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Film, Soul Eater Dub's Promos Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Pippin4242 wrote:
Huh. I know the makers of Haruhi are famously reticent, but call that a trailer? I mean really. Rolling Eyes

*~Pips~*

My thoughts exactly. Well, at least ANN calls it a "promo" which does makes sense, but it certainly isn't a news in any way. >.<
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Emerje:
I agree with you on a lot of levels. I was very satisfied hearing this dub just now. Setting aside for the moment that I'm already a fan of Bailey's work, I think she portrayed Maka really well, not sounding too young or too old, feminine while still keeping an aggressive/strong-willed inflection. And while I've never had the pleasure of hearing Solusod before, I think his Soul was well done. Full of attitude and vigor without coming off as so much of a holier-than-thou character to be unlikeable.

I'm only familiar with SE thru its run in Yen+ as well as the hype and praise it's gotten online. I refuse to watch fansubs of any series once I know it's been licensed, so I'll be experiencing the subbed as well as the full extent of the dubbed - most likely - when FUNi begins to stream the episodes on their site. Admittedly I'm not crazy about Ohkubo's art (not the designs or style, per se, more that it gives me the impression of still being rough around the edges, skill-wise), but the way everything's presented in the anime is simply gorgeous, leading me to believe I'll almost definitely be buying this series ASAP! Anime hyper
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of buying this series ASAP... has there been a release date set for it yet? Or are we still waiting for news?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
OrangeVision wrote:
If this is where english anime dubbing is headed, I wouldn't mind watching english dubbed anime once in a while.
You might want to consider checking out any dubs done by Funimation over the last 8 or so years. This isn't a big recent shift, at least not in my opinion. (And I want to thank you for being open-minded enough to check out this clip and to give it consideration.)

Laura Bailey kicks butt as Maka. Very good casting, very awesome. The real test to me will be to hear her in some of the more emotional moments but so far, she sounds spot on to my ears. (Of course, I love her voice and it got me into anime to begin with so kinda biased.)

Micah Solusod sounds great as Soul. His voice gives off just the right mix of badass and cool calm.

And dear God does he give off JYB vibes too. It's kinda eerie. (Wonder if he'll help to snag fans of Bosch's away from more California-centric dubs.)

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I refuse to watch fansubs of any series once I know it's been licensed, so I'll be experiencing the subbed as well as the full extent of the dubbed - most likely - when FUNi begins to stream the episodes on their site.
Time to start then. They've got a fair number of episodes up on their streaming site.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe they're only just getting around to this series now since they licensed it over a year ago. It's probably going to be their most marketable/profitable show since FMA.
The dub sounds ok, but tbh, I'm used to the original Japanese so it just sounds wrong to me. Should cater to new comers really well though.
Most likley see the first DVD set March.
Hopefully this gets a Blu-ray release as well since it would really benefit.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Laura Bailey already sounds better than the Japanese VA as well.

Not too much of a surprise there. I didn't watch very much of Soul Eater when it was airing in Japan - it really wasn't my cup of tea. But as I recall there was quite a bit of negative buzz coming from the Japanese viewers about Chiaki Omigawa's performance, especially in the early episodes. "Lifeless" and "stick" were some of the more common adjectives used to describe her.
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought the dub was actually good! Though soul sounded like Johnny young bosch for a second, lol.

Hopefully soul eater goes on the saturday anime block for adult swim because honestly all the anime that is shown is a re-run except for bleach and moribito. Years ago the anime block began at 10 or so but now it's at 12. Something new is always nice!
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Not too much of a surprise there. I didn't watch very much of Soul Eater when it was airing in Japan - it really wasn't my cup of tea. But as I recall there was quite a bit of negative buzz coming from the Japanese viewers about Chiaki Omigawa's performance, especially in the early episodes. "Lifeless" and "stick" were some of the more common adjectives used to describe her.

She got better, I mean Maka was her first role in voice acting. The screaming part in the last episode makes up for it Wink Plus over all I like her better in Nastu no Ararashi, but thats just me.

Laura Bailey as Maka is really really really great. Perfect voice for her
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
OrangeVision wrote:

If this is where english anime dubbing is headed, I wouldn't mind watching english dubbed anime once in a while.
You should watch more FUNimation anime. 95% or so of their dubs rival the Japanese version.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
Luna Loving wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Wow, one still. Thanks KyoAni, this totally makes up for Endless Eight!

Perhaps the trailer is more informative than we'd like to think. Perhaps the whole film will be composed of a small number of stills, and the camera will scroll about them as voice actors read their lines. After EE, nothing can be ruled out as just too absurd. Razz

Please, please don't tempt fate.... Very Happy

Seriously though, let's hope they have the sense to make the most of a movie budget and make it as beautiful as anything.

Don't worry, KyoAni will have their animators re-draw each one of those still frames thousands of times, to allow for 30+ unique, carefully crafted, completely identical frames per second! Just to show they're not cutting any corners.
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
from wiki:
Quote:
The anime was regularly broadcast Mondays at 6:00 pm on TV Tokyo. The official Japanese website of the Soul Eater anime series announced that each episode will air in two different versions: the regular Monday 6:00 p.m. version and a late-night "Soul Eater Late Show" version. Special footage was added at the start and end of the commercial break; the next episode preview was also different from the regular version. The dual broadcast of this supernatural action series was being billed as the "world's first evening and late-night resonance broadcast". The "resonance" term refers to a story concept in which the characters, such as the heroine Maka and her living weapon partner Soul Eater, achieve maximum power by synchronizing their souls.[11]

im guessing were getting both?
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
You can hear Shinigami, Stein, and Black Star's dub voices on the skit from NYAF that Funimation posted on their Youtube channel. Black Star's dub voice is dead-on perfect.

For anyone who watches this, and thinks that Stein sounds boring, keep in mind that Chuck Huber was not at NYAF. I don't know who filled the role, but Stein won't actually sound like he does in the skit. Also, Shinigami-sama wasn't in the scene at all.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Honestly, I don't think that takes much, though. Cool
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
I'd like to comment but apparently adverts are now ruled by regions too.

To buggery with this.

Soul Eater the anime wasn't even that good.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I swear Micah Solusod really sounds like Johnny Yong Bosch in that clip; it's almost kind of freaky! Shocked

Highly unlikely. Sure it was fraky enough,but i doubt it's JYB cause of the neverending beach epsiodes he's doing.

Also not to mention funi has a knack of using their own and former ADV vets for their releases with the tenchi muyo series being the exception and that union thing a ANN user told me when they were reviewing the you doll version of Adult Nell Tu and the curiousity of who'll be her eng VA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3