• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hatsune Miku Bemoans Windows 8 Purchase in New Song

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Funny. Never realized the Miku creative community did topical humor, but it certainly hits the spot.

Now we need a song of her complaining about the line for the iPad mini.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
I laughed at this way harder than I should have.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
i must say this is a nice song. haha

hey Miku, you need buy a touch screen.
DanDood666

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
brb, loling 5eva
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Will if Miku tells me to buy it then I must
scottjam65

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Someone please animate this!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I like the song, though I'm not one to buy vocaloid CDs. Suddenly I'm reminded of the cell phone song "owata". Yeah, curious to know how Windows 8 is going to work. Personally I hate Win 7. The OS is such a pain and has so many compatibility issues. I'm sure there is a way to do it but I never had that much trouble with WinXP. But I have to admit it's funny when a virtual idol has trouble with the new system.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Funny, but not as funny and "touching" as the same composer's

"When I get home from work my wife always pretends to be dead"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcP9HSa9lk4

which is based off an actual question asked on the Japanese Yahoo's "questions" service.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Haha go Miku go! I've not used Windows 8 at all, but I dislike the new UI for stuff... It's hard to explain, but yeah... Metro UI sucks IMO..
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I like the song, though I'm not one to buy vocaloid CDs. Suddenly I'm reminded of the cell phone song "owata". Yeah, curious to know how Windows 8 is going to work. Personally I hate Win 7. The OS is such a pain and has so many compatibility issues. I'm sure there is a way to do it but I never had that much trouble with WinXP. But I have to admit it's funny when a virtual idol has trouble with the new system.

There are people out there who don't like windows 7? What kind of trouble/compatibility issues could you possibly be having? It fixed everything that was wrong with vista while slightly updating the aesthetics, to me it was a win-win.

As for windows 8, even though I've got a discounted upgrade offer to take advantage for it, after seeing some videos of what the OS looks like and how it functions, I don't think it's worth it for me to upgrade my laptop to windows 8. If you have a tablet or a desktop with a touch screen, you can probably get some decent use out of it, but for the rest of us who still like to do our computing with a mouse, windows 8 is just a huge pain. Why overcomplicate things microsoft? Why not do the windows 8 interface for windows powered tablets and touch screen desktops and have an alternative OS for regular laptops and desktop computers that aren't touch screen? Just feels as though they're alienating one large part of the market to pander to a relatively smaller portion of the market.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

As for windows 8, even though I've got a discounted upgrade offer to take advantage for it, after seeing some videos of what the OS looks like and how it functions, I don't think it's worth it for me to upgrade my laptop to windows 8. If you have a tablet or a desktop with a touch screen, you can probably get some decent use out of it, but for the rest of us who still like to do our computing with a mouse, windows 8 is just a huge pain. Why overcomplicate things microsoft? Why not do the windows 8 interface for windows powered tablets and touch screen desktops and have an alternative OS for regular laptops and desktop computers that aren't touch screen? Just feels as though they're alienating one large part of the market to pander to a relatively smaller portion of the market.

While I agree with your sentiment, I think the big thing is that "relatively smaller portion of the market" is rapidly expanding. I think we've really hit a point in computer processing where people don't want to have to "know computers" to use them (does that makes sense?). Between the rapid expansion of iOS and Android, Microsoft doesn't want to get lost in the dust. It also makes a bit of sense to have your phone, tablet, and computer working on the same operating system, making it easier to transfer information between them.

I've also talked to someone who's been on the beta, and he told me that it you can switch it from tablet mode to a more familiar desktop mode, but it does strike me as a needless, extra step for those of us who dig a little deeper into our computers. Then you have Valve really pushing Steam for Linux, which isn't a good sign. While there's always been a bit of whining and moaning when Windows makes a new system, this is probably the greatest departure from the last version since the introduction of the Start Menu and Task Bar in Windows 95. Still, I predict there will be the usual year of frustration as everyone relearns how to use their computer.

Essentially, I'm not excited, but it is what it is.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Running the same OS isn't really helpful at all - you just need programs that understand the same data formats(and most types of data have a standardized format to use).

At any rate, Metro looks like a decent cellphone/tablet interface, but the real problem is them pushing it onto regular desktop systems. This isn't a matter of not 'want[ing] to have to "know computers" to use them', this is a matter of UI designer idiocy - you can look up all the reactions to GNOME3 and Unity following the same "desktops are just oversized cellphones" meme if you doubt that Metro's a bad idea - and those weren't even as aggressive about it!
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:

While I agree with your sentiment, I think the big thing is that "relatively smaller portion of the market" is rapidly expanding.

Yes, but that's only the case when you consider how many people are using portable devices to access the internet and whatnot. Sure that group of people is expanding, but what I meant when I said 'relative' was relative to the market of people looking for a home pc or laptop. Unless you're purchasing an all in one touch screen desktop, this OS is mostly useless to you. I don't understand why someone didn't stand back and think having two versions of windows 8, one for tablets and one for home pcs, wouldn't have been a smarter move but I guess I'm not entirely surprised. They'll simply have to fix their muck up with the next OS like they do with all the off year OS releases (i.e. win 98, win ME, win vista).
zeopower6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Funny. Never realized the Miku creative community did topical humor, but it certainly hits the spot.

Now we need a song of her complaining about the line for the iPad mini.

They do a lot of this kind of thing... though it usually never makes it to the west, haha.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Man, even Robo-Idol is dissing Windows 8. That can't be a good sign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2