• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Doin' a Daryl Roll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that FUNimation is releasing Strike Witches I don't why
Fanserves? and it not that great. But yet I buy the series it come out.
will any way I am also glad they re- releasing Initial D Although I'm not in to racing . Only racing movie I ever like Is Death Race 2000
(In The Year 2000 Hit And Run Driving Is No Longer A Felony. It's The National Sport!) Just FUNimation does good on the dub

I should watch the old anime from 80's some day may 70's too jsu be cause wasn't live then not the 80's just 70's

And I have Akira ion DVD and Blu-ray too.
Never read manga wait the re-release.
Great job on the Podcasts too.

Last edited by AnimenexuS on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
i don't get how you can complain about the sub translations on CR then say fansubs have no QC :\.

Easy. CR has questionable quality control. Fansubs also have questionable quality control. Fansub groups might have less typos, since they have more people looking over them. Pros doing speedsubs have access to the Japanese scripts (usually) and the licensors approving them, so they interpret the Japanese more correctly. Both still have problems. Some more than others.

wait, CRs errors are acceptable because they have a script? <.<

when fansubbers get raws with closed-captions, they have a script too.

Quote:
Quote:
yeah there are speedsubs (lol, crunchyroll) out there that cut out QC to get the product out faster, but when groups aim for archiving quality, they don't make mistakes.
Justin, i don't speak Japanese.

So basically you say there are no mistakes, but since you don't know Japanese you really have no idea. Aren't we brilliant.

I can certainly tell you that even these days it's not uncommon for me to watch a fansub and I'll literally go, "where the hell did THAT come from? That's nowhere NEAR what they just said!"While I certainly have issues with some pro subtitles, it's exceedingly rare for them to be THAT far off. I'm guessing that you, like most fansub fans who don't know Japanese, just see a word you know here and there that matches up to your limited knowledge, and assume it's perfect.

and they call each other out on that stuff, ALL THE TIME. when a popular (good) group makes a mistake people call them out on it. when some group keeps making those mistakes, it'll motivate others to form their own group just so they can do a better job. fansubbers who don't do a good job definitely hear about it.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying every single fansub out there is perfect. thats no where near the case. i'd say most of the ones out there are terrible. But what i am saying is, if you're intelligent you don't have to deal with terrible subs. an intelligent person will be able to find a good fansub.

a lot of the good fansubbers are native Japanese speakers, who team up with a great English speaker to get a good translation. and fansub editors/QCers are the biggest grammar nazis you'll ever find.

Quote:
Quote:
but you have to agree that when you're subbing shows you don't even wanna watch, for a paycheck, you are *probably* not going to do as good of a job on it, as someone who's doing it because they want to. as someone who wants to have a perfect release because they care about the show and what their peers think.

ROFL

I'm going to make a prediction here: you are quite young and have never had a job beyond a shitty retail one, if that. The adult ideal is to have a job that pays you and that you can take pride in. Adults that have a passion and have achieved some level of consistent quality know how to tune out how much you enjoy the material and do the best job you can all the time. That's what it means to be an adult: to try really really hard on everything, no matter if you like it or not.

Whereas if you are a fan of a show and have nobody to answer to, there is a temptation to put your own personal stank on it.

if everyone loved their job we wouldn't need escapist hobbies like anime and video games. stop with the self-righteous stuff.

Quote:
Quote:
i don't even know how many times i've seen dvd subs with an L where an I should be. i dunno if it's your font, or what you're doing. but all i know is that when i watch the subs there is clearly an L. and the grammatical errors and typos.. you guys can not honestly believe these subtitles have better quality control than fansubs, can you?

I think you're probably exaggerating how often it happens, but I am in 100% agreement that a professional release has no excuse for bad QC. DVD format limitations are one thing, but when you can't even match the quality of a mediocre fansub release, you really need to either learn to care about your product or get out of the business. I have no patience for that.
[/quote]

well at least we agree with that. i probably am exaggerating. because 1 typo'd line will stick with you a lot more than 100 perfectly accurate lines will.

anyways, what do you think about typesetting?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
wait, CRs errors are acceptable because they have a script? <.<

when fansubbers get raws with closed-captions, they have a script too.

Never said or implied that CR's flaws are acceptable, but typos are merely distracting and bad translations outright misrepresent the content.

Quote:
and they call each other out on that stuff, ALL THE TIME. when a popular (good) group makes a mistake people call them out on it. when some group keeps making those mistakes, it'll motivate others to form their own group just so they can do a better job. fansubbers who don't do a good job definitely hear about it.

See, I think that's idealistic. Getting called out on it (after the show is released) is one thing, but nobody makes mistakes like that on purpose. Since every case is different, getting called out on a mistake doesn't make the translator better next time. If it's happening regularly it means that the translator is in over their head.

Quote:
don't get me wrong, i'm not saying every single fansub out there is perfect. thats no where near the case. i'd say most of the ones out there are terrible. But what i am saying is, if you're intelligent you don't have to deal with terrible subs. an intelligent person will be able to find a good fansub.

We're agreed on how much quality is out there, then. "Intelligence" has nothing to do with it, though. You might have time to research which fansubber is the best, but not everyone does. Many shows don't get multiple subbers doing them.

In any event, fansubs are merely my "last resort" choice for both translation quality and ethical reasons. Your milage may vary. Hopefully in another year everything will be legally streaming in 720p and stupid disagreements like this will be a thing of the past.

Quote:
if everyone loved their job we wouldn't need escapist hobbies like anime and video games. stop with the self-righteous stuff.

Touché. I was being idealistic. :p

Quote:
anyways, what do you think about typesetting?

I think it's a nice luxury that's not always possible in a professional setting (and DVDs are so technically limited it's simply not worth the trouble). Some fansubbers go too nuts with it and legibility suffers. Professional subtitles are starting to move in this direction (look at Gintama on CR) and they're less likely to go nuts with it. It's low priority though. (BTW, complain about the big yellow subs all you want, but they're the result of decades of readability research. Fancy fonts do take a usability hit for the sake of aesthetics, it's true.)
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
good groups these days don't even use karaoke, TL notes, or leave anything un-subbed, because of the bashing all that gets from none/anti-fansub viewers.

No, 99% of them still do all of those things. In fact, the move toward not-translating thing has even entered the industry as major shows have more and more untranslated terms.

Pandadice wrote:

They may hear about it but most of them don't care. People who point out flaws get shouted down, told to GTFO since it's "free", and similar BS. As a result, fansubs groups almost never get called out except for in a handful of places.

Your posts really seem to come from some idealized fansub world that doesn't exist.

Pandadice wrote:
but you have to agree that when you're subbing shows you don't even wanna watch, for a paycheck, you are *probably* not going to do as good of a job on it, as someone who's doing it because they want to. as someone who wants to have a perfect release because they care about the show and what their peers think.

If a fansub group puts out an poor sub, would anyone want to watch them? If a company puts out a poor sub, would anyone want to hire them to do it again? Likewise, since there is actually money involved, would anyone continue to buy it? Remember what happened after people learned the Toei DVDs sucked? People stopped buying them.

And most groups don't care what anyone thinks about them. They only care that they are first and get attention.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
No, 99% of them still do all of those things.

thats why i said "good groups" dude. gg's monopolized the fansubbing distro, and they don't do any of that. i'm fairly certain BSS doesn't do any of that either, but i'm not quite as sure. i'm almost positive though that they translated "Onee-chan" into whatever the chicks name was.

Quote:
In fact, the move toward not-translating thing has even entered the industry as major shows have more and more untranslated terms.

you mean like all that crazy stuff they do with Naruto and Bleach? man those things are crazy. I think they think fans like it, but it's just way too over the top...

like i remembering watching the naruto dub, and they didn't translate "ninja way" or something. that was ridiculous xD

Quote:
They may hear about it but most of them don't care. People who point out flaws get shouted down, told to GTFO since it's "free", and similar BS. As a result, fansubs groups almost never get called out except for in a handful of places.

Your posts really seem to come from some idealized fansub world that doesn't exist.

viewers don't call them out man, other fansubbers do. look at some Chihiro hate threads, or even just ask any member of any fansub group what they think about chihiro, and you'll see they definitely call out people who make mistakes.

look at the groups that spawned for the soul purpose of providing a better sub than chihiro.

Quote:
If a fansub group puts out an poor sub, would anyone want to watch them? If a company puts out a poor sub, would anyone want to hire them to do it again? Likewise, since there is actually money involved, would anyone continue to buy it? Remember what happened after people learned the Toei DVDs sucked? People stopped buying them.

if CR airs bad subs, will people want to watch it?

Quote:
And speedsubs* don't care what anyone thinks about them. They only care that they are first and get attention.

um.. fixed.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
My sister came to my office while I was listening to the podcast, and ask me: "Where are those two from?, they have a weird accent."

So, if you can tell us...
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
I'm sure everyone's having fun talking about the same old fansub / Crunchyroll issues that get talked about in every other thread, but can we get back to the important things like me?

kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I don't listen to any podcasts ('cept ANNcast) but it seemed like Daryl is more into masculine old anime? Which is fine of course, but, are there any good podcasts that focus on old girly anime?

The shojo I like is the stuff that I declare "so girly, it's manly." Mostly the 70s stuff like Aim for the Ace, The Rose of Versailles, Attack No. 1, Swan, and so on. Or the more modern stuff inspired by those sorts of titles like Utena or Princess Tutu. The newer style shojo isn't really my thing, but my cohosts can pick up the slack for me in that department.

GATSU wrote:
Daryl: More importantly, did you see Postal? Laughing

[Seriously. If there's a Kawajiri anime you should be hating, it's Bio-Hunter. And maybe Birdy, too.

I've actually not seen Postal because I'd rather my memories of Dave Foley be ones where he was funny and NOT naked. Also, Kawajiri only wrote the screenplay for Bio-Hunter, so that one doesn't fully count in my book.

GMSenpai wrote:
Show Lengths- Yea, I agree long shows are a bit to listen to. If a show goes beyond the 2 hour mark or has multi part episodes(without some rhyme or reason to it) and that goes for any podcast I happen to listen to. If anything, things get repetitive, off-topic or just becomes exhausting to listen to.

This is certainly true, with the key phrase being "without some rhyme or reason to it." Each individual segment of a non-bonus episode of Anime World Order is about a specific topic and runs your standard "podcast approved length." These timecodes are identified in our show notes, so you can skip to whatever you feel interested in hearing about.

GMSenpai wrote:
[b]The first 21+ anime convention, Providence Anime Conference, back in 2008 had very low amounts of coverage in the blogasphere and podcasting. The only major blog covering the event was Anime on DVD and the only podcast covering the event was Super Happy Anime Fun Time.

While it's true that we weren't able to make it to PAC on account that we aren't so rich to travel out of state that often for anime cons on our own dime (this is also why you probably won't be seeing me at AX; we're all in Florida!), we repeatedly talked about PAC prior to the event. The folks who ran it listen to the show and wrote/called in. It's a sore sticking point for me, that I talk up the value of having such events/programming yet couldn't actually attend the one that happened. It's hypocritical, and people freely take me to task on this point.

Maur wrote:
I felt kind of bad for Daryl. He did take it pretty well even though they essentially would tell him to shut up and/or stop boring them. I think maybe Zac enjoys being a dick a little too much :p

Nah, don't feel bad! It's just a joke to help move on to the next topic. Besides, I say way, WAY meaner stuff to other people all the time. Though it's true that I do launch into "lecture mode" at the drop of a hat: just look at how long this post (and all my others) are!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
So I know the podcast has an explicit tag and this is totally my fault, but I was listening this morning as I went through the pre-opening procedures at the store. About ten minutes were left of the podcast when I unlocked the door and I thought to myself, "why bother turning it off? There won't be anything too bad..."

Then a suburban mom walked in just in time to hear the rape joke. Awesome.

Because I don't learn from my mistakes I let the thing keep playing until it was over. Thankfully the shop was empty when the hentai audition reel was rolling.

As for the whole fansub thing, I think some folks are impressed by the cultural sidenotes a few fansubbers include (likely inspired by Animeigo). The Death Note sub I watched had some of that. On the other hand, the Evangelion1.0 fansub I torrented (and I absolutely will be buying the DVD when Funimation releases it) had a minute or so where the sub was just "BALLS" over and over.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Hey, this was pretty fun. I've been listening to a lot of AWO podcasts lately so it was a pleasant surprise to hear Daryl as the guest this week. It was just two weeks ago, after listening to & enjoying ANNCast, that I decided to check out some other anime podcasts and somehow found my way to the AWO site, where I proceeded to downloaded the previous few weeks' episodes. After listening to those I decided to delve back even earlier-- so for the last couple weeks I basically haven't watched any anime (or dramas even, which is a greater shock) but have instead just listened to AWO in the evenings. It's always very entertaining, even when it's about a show I've never seen (which is more often than not the case).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Odd_shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this podcast, I must admit, I haven't listen to many podcast and the only reason I listened to this one is because I read the talk was going to be about anime from the '80s & '90s.

Just like you guys I grew up with those, and I'm from Europe so we got even less than America, at least in my country.
I don't know French and I know the French have a lot of anime for a very long time, but if you don't understand French you won't understand anything, all the French anime I've seen was subtitled in English as well.
And Germany dubs everything in German, and I'm one of those that likes to view his art as close as possible as the original artist intended it for. For example I have some Korean anime and I watch it in Korean (even though it also has a Japanese and English dub).

I was glad to hear that there's still other guys around that enjoy those shows from the '80s & '90s and especially those series like the old Fist of the North Star more than I do, I'm currently listening to Daryl's podcast with the old timers at Ota 2009, it's great to listen to.

More specifically I'm really a fan of what I call "ugly" style, like Baki, Akagi, Kaji and Fists of the North Star precedes those.

I used to go to conventions a lot, the last couple of years a lot less.
Mostly because the last couple of years they stopped showing any of the old series and I'm pretty up to date so usually everything they show I've already seen or they are showing something I don't want to see, which is sad because that's a perfect time to expose beginner anime enthusiasts to the old series and draw in old guys like me to watch old series we couldn't get our hands on during the old days and they'll never be sold or released now a days.
And the conventions that do usually show them in the middle of the night.

Now often I go to small groups that meet up at someones place and watch anime one night or an entire weekend and I select one or two animes from the past, most of the time the biggest part of the group doesn't enjoy it, usually because it's old, to violent or doesn't have enough hot guys getting it on with other hot guys but once in awhile there's someone that gets hooked by some of the old stuff and wants to know more about it, that makes it all worth while.

All in all it was really nice listening to you guys talk about the old stuff.

And as far as fansubbing goes, since the talk is steered on fansubbing because I'm guessing some fansubbers and beginner anime enthusiasts got stepped on their toes, fansubbing isn't there to give you free anime as quickly as possible with awesome quality, maybe for some that is now the case but it started for a whole different reason, like creating awareness and developing skills in video editing and I hope when the streaming of anime and maybe even LA movies and series is more mature that fansubbing will shift towards creating of awareness for old series that most would never hear from if the fansub groups doesn't create awareness for it because companies can't afford the risks.

That's how it was when I started, with VHS tapes, for a school project, it took me and my classmate 8 weeks just for the karaoke and they were stunned not so much by our work but Japanese anime in general for what we were shown in classes was work of Disney and the even more rare French and Scandinavian anime and that was it.
We don't really need that awareness anymore, it's known, what we need the most now, what I think we need the most now, is a stable and mature way to bring and show these products to consumers that is profitable and sustainable for production studios in this modern age of easy to access information.

For example, soon they'll stream extra episodes of Bakemonogatari, if they did something like Radiohead did with their album (ask people to pay whatever they want to pay for it) and if I knew my money was going to director Akiyuki Shinbo and the people who actually made it I would gladly pay quite an amount for it because I'm really for this kind of stimulation of finding out other ways for the artists to get their work out there and I want them to make more art.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I do applaud Daryl's taste in older, mature titles, the stories may be stupid and often times incoherent, but they NEVER get boring. Its at times like this season where theres not really anything I'm looking forward to that i start to look back at older titles, and find that sometimes older is better. It sort of makes me sad when i see how anime is moving away from the violent, brutal stuff to this moeblob BS.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons I can stand, and really enjoy these podcasts, is that they are entertaining. Any editing of personality would only reduce that value.

Oh, and the thing about videocasts? Radio, and now podcasts are so you can do something else while listening. If you want to produce a real video--the key characteristic being "visuals"--then fine, but it's unlikely that a blogger is going to have the time or the chops to produce something worth watching anyway.

I am one of those newish fans that was led into older anime via Justin's column, and greatly appreciate that knowledgeable people still discuss it, so I'll check out AWO. That era to me is like any truly new movement in the arts. All such movements are created by the artists themselves, and they have a free hand to do whatever they want before the formulas are discovered by marketing and start influencing artist creativity directly. That's about the only time you can get the "so bad they're good" stuff plus the genuinely classic offbeat gems, because there are no rules yet. That is the attraction for me.

The moe controversy rages on... recently in threads here in fact. I think Bakemonagatari setting a new Vol. 1, first-week disc sales record is a good sign that maybe we are turning a corner. In fact this season, without going statistical and all, seems to have far less focus on moe and is trying to offer more solid genre fare than the last few seasons.

And I agree, and already said so, on Book of Bantorra. But episode 2 was an improvement and gave hope that it might yet exceed its faults. If they just stay on the ground and out of the water, the animation quality is pretty attractive. And if they would ignore (or continue killing off) most of the supporting cast so far, especially the annoying and so-obvious pacifist-foil-dickwad Volken, as well as the current cardboard villain, and come up with a better evil purpose than hedonistic anarchy (a la Inukami! for chrissake... and how many other shows for 13 year olds), and if they just put the Ever-Laughing Witch and Halmuts (Romi Paku rocks in this) on screen for 15 of the 25 minutes each week, then it might all turn out fine... Wink

Good show again.
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

GMSenpai wrote:
Show Lengths- Yea, I agree long shows are a bit to listen to. If a show goes beyond the 2 hour mark or has multi part episodes(without some rhyme or reason to it) and that goes for any podcast I happen to listen to. If anything, things get repetitive, off-topic or just becomes exhausting to listen to.

This is certainly true, with the key phrase being "without some rhyme or reason to it." Each individual segment of a non-bonus episode of Anime World Order is about a specific topic and runs your standard "podcast approved length." These timecodes are identified in our show notes, so you can skip to whatever you feel interested in hearing about.

GMSenpai wrote:
[b]The first 21+ anime convention, Providence Anime Conference, back in 2008 had very low amounts of coverage in the blogasphere and podcasting. The only major blog covering the event was Anime on DVD and the only podcast covering the event was Super Happy Anime Fun Time.

While it's true that we weren't able to make it to PAC on account that we aren't so rich to travel out of state that often for anime cons on our own dime (this is also why you probably won't be seeing me at AX; we're all in Florida!), we repeatedly talked about PAC prior to the event. The folks who ran it listen to the show and wrote/called in. It's a sore sticking point for me, that I talk up the value of having such events/programming yet couldn't actually attend the one that happened. It's hypocritical, and people freely take me to task on this point.

Neither point is to call you and your work out specifically, but sort of at the anime podcasting community at large, if anything more of the smaller shows then the 'name brand' shows.

Your show in particular while exceptionally long, does have very well segmented parts as clearly demonstrated in your show notes. To be honest, your show could go completely unlistened due to the fact how exceedingly detailed your show notes are. Is that a bad thing? Good god no, it lets me know exactly what in the show I would want to listen to and enjoy. However, this is something that is common in other anime podcasts as well. And I believe my exact quote was
Quote:
This opinion is for all podcasts, not necessarily anime podcasts.
One episode of a podcast that is in my iTunes feed right now has their longest episode weighing in at 2 hours 52 minutes and that is a podcast about people who play the MMO, World of Warcraft.

As for convention coverage, yea, the PAC guys loved the shout outs you gave for them just as much as they loved any and all press and good will that they got before, during and after the convention. The point wasn't that you guys didn't attend, the point was how low the coverage was on something that was in my opinion a revolutionary event and that if there is a so-called excess in anime podcasts and anime 'press' why so few people reporting on something that was outside the box. While on paper it may not have been a 'success' but in the mind and hearts of those who attended it was a huge success. Don't think I'm calling you in particular for not going or anything, its sort of an opinion that lesser known and first year cons(despite how original in concept or design) get little coverage and this is where anime podcasts and mid-ranged blogs can pick up the slack, where as larger well known cons could really do without the podcast 'press' so to speak.

To be honest, you are wholeheartedly right in the fact you can only really cover what is around you. This is a concept we have to live by as well. We're all in Massachusetts so if we make it to NYAF or Otakon something amazing happened in the cash or logistics department. However, I like to think this doesn't stop us on having good convention coverage from a fan's point of view in the slightest. This year I think we've covered 5 or 6 cons without just resorting to reading news and our little secret is to solicit con reports from our audience. As I mentioned before, we usually spend more time talking about non news the actual news. I think we spent more time talking about your appearance on Anime Squares at Anime Boston then the Evangelion cast announcement.

I feel like I went away from my original point, which is cover even the lesser known stuff around you. Sadly I'm going to use Massachusetts as an example since I know the majority of the major and minor cons in the area. I would not only cover Anime Boston, but Port Con Maine, Another Anime Con, Connecticon(and before I get called out on it again, 2010 is the year!), and NE Fan Experience. Those guys will be happy to get someone reviewing them with a wide ranged audience and it will help boost their attendance.

Oh wow, this turned into a long winded reiteration and for that I apologize. Anime and podcasting are my two primary hobbies and I enjoy them quite a bit. And I feel really bad if you thought I was calling you and AWO out in particular, but having gotten my feet wet in podcasting in and away from the anime community, I always get the feeling that a certain unity is missing from the anime podcasting side compared to the tech and gaming sides(for example) hence my commentary and ultimately suggestions. Again, apologies if you guys thought I was going after you directly, totally unintentional.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The discussion of Initial-D really makes me wonder how people judge the popularity of shows. Is it because their friends like it? Is it because there are a fair number of fans of it on whatever forums they frequent? Is it because they liked it and assumed that it must be popular? Is it because they look at the ratings for it on sites like ANN? I mean, if I were to actually have to attempt to accurately gauge the popularity of a particular show, I really don't know what I'd do. And if the question of popularity is really a question of how well it has sold or will sell, it's that much worse, because there's not necessarily any correlation between what hear from people in various places and what actually gets bought - especially if it's something that actually sells well outside of the noisiest portion of the anime demographic, or even outside of the typical anime demographic altogether.

I admit that when I heard that Funimation had licensed Initial-D, I was very surprised since it was not only older but it was a car racing show, and I don't have any interest in either cars or racing. I'd never heard much about it, so it's not something that I would have necessarily thought of as popular either. But I really have no clue about such things, and just because it looks totally unappetizing to me doesn't mean that it won't sell well. In fact, if it sell poorly in Funimation's core audience but sells well outside of it, it's a brilliant move by Funimation because then they're getting money out of a different set of people and their more typical customers still have money to spend on other stuff. It's a potentially market-expanding move by Funimation, so if it does indeed sell well outside of the main anime demographic, it's likely a very good move on their part.

So, anyway, I just find it interesting when people talk about what is or isn't popular. I just don't know how you determine such things objectively. And from a business standpoint, anything that stands a chance of selling well outside of your typical target audience is a great move since it means that you're getting money out of more people rather than having to get the same people to buy your stuff all the time.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Daryl: BTW, you were talking about how fans just need to know where to find the old stuff, right? So do you think the fact that CR's taking a chance on some of the classic Toei titles has been helpful for these shows? I mean, who'd have thought anyone would license FOTNS on dvd beyond what Manga put out before?

Raoh's at least new, and there's a cult following behind the movie, but the show is a different beast entirely. As an aside, the Lupin fans on the forum got a little irked, because I suggested that there is a market for the show, given that it's gotten released on so many different formats and in so many volumes, and that it just needed an introduction to get the people on the fence interested, which is where Ep.0 comes in. I also applaud Vertical for being ballsy enough to go the full Tezuka in a market which has enough trouble supporting Astro Boy, but am surprised that there is enough of a market to justify finishing Black Jack.

Anyway feeling for why this is happening[Why we're seeing more "old" stuff or spin-offs and remakes of "old" stuff.] is that there's a sense of fan ennui with the stuff which should be "popular" and successful, since it tends to look and sound the same. That was ok ten years ago, when we got next to nothing, but the next generation of die-hards are becoming a little more sophisticated in their tastes, and thus they want which stands out more. I know they make up a small segment of the people who make Naruto and Vampire Knight hits, but they'll actually be there when those series are finished and/or stop becoming fads. And I don't think companies like FUNimation do enough to cultivate that kind of audience, which might cost them down the road. Viz is already losing out to that shiny vampire shit, so I assume the death of Shojo Beat(not to mention the Mar, PoT, and Hikaru No Go anime) was actually the main motivating factor behind Sig Ikki. People who buy manga from that line may not be the company's bread-and-butter, but we'll be there for them in hard times-like when they shoot themselves in the feet with that expedited OP releae.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5