• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Whole New World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Well, both shows have their issues, but Accel World is clearly better than Sword Art Online in terms of plot and characters, as you would expect from a guy who has had time to develop and improve his writing.

He still has a penchant for writing terrible villains - Noumi. But, maybe whatever villains shows up later are different.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Noumi is absolutely a badly-written villain, I won't deny that. But Noumi is one bad-written character in an otherwise okay work, whereas Sugou is a badly-written character in a show full of them that also has a crap plot.

Compared to Sword Art Online, the plot of Accel World is a bit better and the characters are a lot better, so to me there is no contest.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh, Noumi is absolutely a badly-written villain, I won't deny that. But Noumi is one bad-written character in an otherwise okay work, whereas Sugou is a badly-written character in a show full of them that also has a crap plot.

Compared to Sword Art Online, the plot of Accel World is a bit better and the characters are a lot better, so to me there is no contest.

Agreed. I was just pointing that while his writing has gotten better with Accel World (agreeing with your post I originall quoted), he still writes terrible villains from what I have seen so far.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
First, to the person (forget who) who was concerned about how misogynistic SAO supposedly is: that is a gross exaggeration at the least, and I would argue even outright wrong. Don't let such talk deter you from checking out the series.

dtm42 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I agree with you that the villain does seem to have a very interesting side plot going on. However, that is part of the problem that right now it is a side plot. We haven't seen any impact of it or some recognizable implication of what he's doing with it.

Yep, you nailed it. The villain doing all these things should be at the front and centre, not just referenced and then not brought up again (so far at least).

Oh, come on, both of you. Only one freakin' episode has passed since that revelation was laid out, so actually give the story time to do something with it. On several occasions already points that people complained vociferously about were either addressed or proven to be non-issues by later episodes, after all.

Besides, why should that matter be "front and center" anyway? What could it possibly do in the story if it was, especially given that spoiler[no one beyond Asuna knows anything about it yet, and she's not exactly in a position to tell anyone]?

Quote:
I'm half-way through Scrapped Princess right now and the difference in quality between it and Sword Art Online is just massive. Scrapped Princess actually has good characters who receive proper development, and its plot is complex and multi-faceted and engrossing. Sword Art Online has wish-fulfilment inserts who carry out a plot that is little more than Mario saving Princess Peach.

I'm surprised that you've never seen SP before, dtm42. It won't disappoint you, as it holds its quality through to the end; in fact, I'd probably rank it amongst the top three fantasy series of the past decade and certainly among the top 20 overall.

You're absolutely right that SAO is not in its league, but neither I nor anyone else around here has tried to claim that, either. Even I'll agree that the guy trying to claim that it's the smartest series in ages is off his rocker.

Last edited by Key on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Key wrote:
Saffire wrote:
I'm sure that doing work equal to the preview guide year round is exactly what Zac and his team wants to do. After all, it can't be that much effort right?

I sincerely hope you're saying that sarcastically. The Preview Guides are, by a mile, the most intense and stressful times of the year as far as the reviewing business is concerned (at least for me, anyway). I like doing them, but I'm also usually relieved when they're done.
Don't worry, it was pure sarcasm. My point was that's basically what they're asking for.

I was being sarcastic, too, if it wasn't clear. Again, Bamboo is doing yeomen's work and I am very happy that The Stream could continue even under its new format. If some shows get short-shrift because of this, well them's the breaks. I think it wouldn't be The Sream without Bamboo at the helm.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
First, to the person (forget who) who was concerned about how misogynistic SAO supposedly is: that is a gross exaggeration at the least, and I would argue even outright wrong. Don't let such talk deter you from checking out the series.

LOL, of course it's misogynistic. Girl after girl who exists to fall for the hero. Was all that talk in the series discussion thread and previous The Stream threads all for nothing?

Key wrote:
Oh, come on, both of you. Only one freakin' episode has passed since that revelation was laid out, so actually give the story time to do something with it.

I'm not holding my breath. Not for a show this poor.

Key wrote:
Besides, why should that matter be "front and center" anyway? What could it possibly do in the story if it was, especially given that spoiler[no one beyond Asuna knows anything about it yet, and she's not exactly in a position to tell anyone]?

All it does at the moment is just hammer in how evil this dude is . . . if the smelling hair and the licking of lips and the threatened rape and the deranged expressions weren't already extremely obvious enough as it is.

Key wrote:
I'm surprised that you've never seen SP before, dtm42. It won't disappoint you, as it holds its quality through to the end; in fact, I'd probably rank amongst the top three fantasy series of the past decade and certainly among the top 20 overall.

Well, the fact that I hadn't seen it made it a priority watch for me and I bumped it up near the top of my list when I did an analysis of unwatched titles a week ago.

But already Scrapped Princess has fallen somewhat after episode twelve. Ispoiler[ just watched up to episode sixteen and was very disappointed how slow the plot had become and the sudden hesitancy of the writing. There was no need to repeat the background information so many times. Thanks to some great foreshadowing I already had a good grasp of what was going on even before Natalie and Zefiris started revealing things directly. It was then explained to Pacifica and her siblings at least four times, with Senes and Eirote chiming in too. It's like the writers didn't trust the audience to get it the first or second time so they explained it over and over again for our sake. But it meant that since Pacifica (and even Shannon and Raquel) still couldn't understand it after so many explanations she came across as a moron.]

Still a good show but treating your audience like children who need things spelt out to them is kind of insulting, and the characters suffered for it because they suddenly had to be stupid.

Key wrote:
You're absolutely right that SAO is not in its league, but neither I nor anyone else around here has tried to claim that, either. Even I'll agree that the guy trying to claim that it's the smartest series in ages is off his rocker.

I mentioned Scrapped Princess because A: I'm currently watching it, and B: like Sword Art Online, it has spoiler[both Sci-Fi and Fantasy elements.]
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I seem to be the only one here who is completely LOVING From the New World. Everything is great about it: the animation (yes, even the animation in THAT episode Rolling Eyes ), the writing, the characters, the, well, everything. I find myself liking Saki more and more as the show goes on. Despite her innocent appearance and mannerisms, and her (mostly) upstanding morality, she can be very very sly.

It's refreshing to see something where the characters are really perceptive, and the story has some genuinely novel and interesting scifi concepts. The directing on this is great too; I'm not sure why no one seems to be as into it as me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Hmm. I seem to be the only one here who is completely LOVING From the New World. Everything is great about it: the animation (yes, even the animation in THAT episode Rolling Eyes ), the writing, the characters, the, well, everything. I find myself liking Saki more and more as the show goes on. Despite her innocent appearance and mannerisms, and her (mostly) upstanding morality, she can be very very sly.

It's refreshing to see something where the characters are really perceptive, and the story has some genuinely novel and interesting scifi concepts. The directing on this is great too; I'm not sure why no one seems to be as into it as me.

Simple. Your opinion that the writing and characters are "great" isn't universally shared. For the first four episodes, the characters were very sketchily delineated. I found it virtually impossible to distinguish the five main characters from each other. One episode contained a 10-minute info dump that introduced some key ideas that should have been dramatized earlier (it actually makes no sense that some of them weren't) and some of the information kind of muddied the waters of what we knew before (and not in an intentional way; I think just because of sloppy writing).

There is good stuff in From the New World and I've enjoyed the last two episodes as much as I enjoyed the first one. But there is definitely stuff to be critical of, so you shouldn't be surprised that not everyone shares your completely uncritical opinion.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Galap wrote:

Simple. Your opinion that the writing and characters are "great" isn't universally shared. For the first four episodes, the characters were very sketchily delineated. I found it virtually impossible to distinguish the five main characters from each other. One episode contained a 10-minute info dump that introduced some key ideas that should have been dramatized earlier (it actually makes no sense that some of them weren't) and some of the information kind of muddied the waters of what we knew before (and not in an intentional way; I think just because of sloppy writing).

There is good stuff in From the New World and I've enjoyed the last two episodes as much as I enjoyed the first one. But there is definitely stuff to be critical of, so you shouldn't be surprised that not everyone shares your completely uncritical opinion.

I'm not at all surprised that not everyone shares my uncritical opinion; what I'm surprised about is that no one seems to share my high opinion. I don't know. I'd think that from the way the show is, at least some of the reviewers on this site and some of the users would consider this one the show of the season. I guess I'm wrong and it's kind of just a me thing Razz
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

I'm not at all surprised that not everyone shares my uncritical opinion; what I'm surprised about is that no one seems to share my high opinion. I don't know. I'd think that from the way the show is, at least some of the reviewers on this site and some of the users would consider this one the show of the season. I guess I'm wrong and it's kind of just a me thing Razz

Actually, Key (aka Theron Martin, one of the reviewers of ANN) is someone whom I'm fairly certain DID consider it the show of the season, at least up to episode 4 or so. He hasn't been very active in the discussion thread over in the anime forum lately, though, so I'm not sure if he still has such a high opinion of it.

As for myself, I really like some aspects of the show, but I definitely don't share as quite high an opinion of it as you do.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
From The New World is also my show of the season. At the very least its the one I anticipate the most each week.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Oh, come on, both of you. Only one freakin' episode has passed since that revelation was laid out, so actually give the story time to do something with it. On several occasions already points that people complained vociferously about were either addressed or proven to be non-issues by later episodes, after all.

I do expect that at some point, the villain will do something with this side plot of his. My complaint was more about the fact that the way the villain's grand evil plan has been sidelined into a secondary plot only mentioned in one episode... that just reinforces the problem of the show being more focused on a sort of wish-fulfillment love story rather than grand adventuring or some kind of comprehensive good v evil plot. I think Dtm42's comparison to rescuing Princess Peach is very much on point. So far, the plot of SAO is a very very linear love story, with a male protagonist who hasn't been developed properly and is pretty over the top in his idealized nature. The only good development we've seen of Kirito came in episode 15. Developing him seems to have been more of a bothersome afterthought for the author rather than a priority, which it should be since half the show hangs on his every thought and move. (As I said before, the show has been set up in a way where Asuna is roughly half the show and Kirito is roughly half the show, although Suguha has taken her share of that dynamic now.)

I don't know if you have seen Avatar the Last Airbender, Theron, but if you haven't seen the show I HIGHLY recommend it. That show also had a love story, and it was a very interesting love story. Not perfect, but pretty good. However, the love story was always weaved in throughout the adventure. Katara and Aang gradually were drawn together over the course of their struggle against the evil they were up against, and there were a LOT of struggles. However, the fact that they were going to be together was never such an overwhelming focus of the story that it took away from anything else. Its funny, AtLA was also a good example of a show where you can properly develop a male protagonist who is very idealized.

My point is that SAO has failed in that regard. If you looked at the first 7 episodes or so, you might have thought spoiler[that the show was going to be more about the adventure and the danger and mystery of this death trap scenario, and whether or not the (poorly developed) heroes can survive.] As flawed as it was, that set up had a lot of potential. From episode 8 until now though, that dramatically shifted to spoiler["the whole death trap set up doesn't really matter anymore, now this is just all about whether or not Kirito and Asuna can be together forever."]

As I said in response to your review, spoiler[I did think the switch to the love story worked as far as making a believable love story, and there were moments where it was touching. However, that shift destroyed the sense of adventure. I don't think the second arc has done much of anything to try and get that sense of adventure back.] I think focusing too much on how the villain might spoiler[sexually and/or physically abuse Asuna] rather than what exactly his grand evil idea means for the world is a mistake. To take an example from this season, look at From the New World. As much as some people complain about the artistry of that show, I think they have done a fantastic job of creating a sense of foreboding and some idea of how the behind the curtain evils of this world have an impact on the protagonists, even if we don't know all the answers yet. Couldn't SAO have done at least that at this point? Maybe just show some kind of foreboding scene where some innocent person is "changed" by the villain's evil plan? The fact that they haven't done that yet shows that their priority is more on this love (now triangle) story aspect. The fan service that's been crudely thrown in has been an exclamation point reinforcing this problem. Look, I don't disagree with you that there is much enjoyment to be found in SAO. If there weren't, I wouldn't still be watching (although I have considered dropping it more than once.) However, at a minimum I don't think its a good sign when a show is constantly playing catch up on developing basic concepts BEFORE the audience starts to notice they are missing and complaining about that.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But already Scrapped Princess has fallen somewhat after episode twelve. Ispoiler[ just watched up to episode sixteen and was very disappointed how slow the plot had become and the sudden hesitancy of the writing. There was no need to repeat the background information so many times. Thanks to some great foreshadowing I already had a good grasp of what was going on even before Natalie and Zefiris started revealing things directly. It was then explained to Pacifica and her siblings at least four times, with Senes and Eirote chiming in too. It's like the writers didn't trust the audience to get it the first or second time so they explained it over and over again for our sake. But it meant that since Pacifica (and even Shannon and Raquel) still couldn't understand it after so many explanations she came across as a moron.]

Still a good show but treating your audience like children who need things spelt out to them is kind of insulting, and the characters suffered for it because they suddenly had to be stupid.

No, I think you're entirely misunderstanding what's going on there. Pacifica is never portrayed as being all that bright; intuitive and socially adept, maybe, but definitely not bright, and that's a recurring characterization throughout the entire series. Besides, spoiler[the concepts being explained to her and her step-siblings - including about genetics and such - were utterly mind-blowing for someone coming from a Medieval-level technological background. Eirote made the comment at one point that Natalie had to explain it to her and the Beast Princess several times before they understood it, so any of the Casulls making sense of it all on the first or even second shot would have been a gross inconsistency. The repitition was entirely meant to demonstrate how far out of their league the humans were on comprehending the vast technology lost to them.] I have rewatched this series at least once a year since it first aired (it was the first TV series I ever saw entirely via fansubs, in fact) and have never gotten anything close to a "we're treating the audience like they're morons" vibe from it, nor has anyone else that I've ever talked to about the series.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Actually, Key (aka Theron Martin, one of the reviewers of ANN) is someone whom I'm fairly certain DID consider it the show of the season, at least up to episode 4 or so. He hasn't been very active in the discussion thread over in the anime forum lately, though, so I'm not sure if he still has such a high opinion of it.

My opinion of it has dropped off a bit; I didn't like the experimental animation/editing style in ep 5, for instance, and I agree that the story seems to be getting bogged down a bit with the Monster Rat storyline. There are still enough interesting concepts in play in it, and enough of an element of mystery, to keep my attention, though.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I do expect that at some point, the villain will do something with this side plot of his. My complaint was more about the fact that the way the villain's grand evil plan has been sidelined into a secondary plot only mentioned in one episode...

And, again, only one episode has passed since that was first revealed. If we'd gone three or four episodes without it being mentioned again, I'd agree that you have a valid complaint.

Quote:
To take an example from this season, look at From the New World. As much as some people complain about the artistry of that show, I think they have done a fantastic job of creating a sense of foreboding and some idea of how the behind the curtain evils of this world have an impact on the protagonists, even if we don't know all the answers yet. Couldn't SAO have done at least that at this point? Maybe just show some kind of foreboding scene where some innocent person is "changed" by the villain's evil plan? The fact that they haven't done that yet shows that their priority is more on this love (now triangle) story aspect.

Oh, be careful what comparison you're drawing here. People have started trumpeting the "poor writing" complaints about From the New World, too. (Not that I agree with that, mind you, but such talk has been growing.)

I think one of the reasons why I have less of an issue with SAO than a lot of people seem to is that I've never really seen it as being an action-adventure series, nor has that ever been my expectation for it. It has some of those elements, to be sure, but that's never really been the driving force in the series, so I haven't been disappointed when it hasn't played out that way. Really, though, it just comes down to the fact that I've liked what I've seen so far enough that I'm willing to overlook (most of) its flaws. It's still my top-priority view in any given week out of the 6/7 series I'm actively following.

Oh, and I've never seen AtLA, nor have I ever had any interest in it.

Last edited by Key on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Galap wrote:

No, its a great show, far better than most of the shows that are currently running. The source material is also very solid, but the screenplay is not quite up to snuff, which is why it feels like it is a story being told by two people, which was another commenter pointed out.

I think they assembled a very competent and talented staff for the most part, but handing off this work to a rookie director was a mistake. I think it is clear to anyone that the director and staff have really put their all into this, but that is not enough when the source material is said to be nearly impossible adapt by other veterans in the industry.. For example, you could clearly see how the background designers and and animators were working very hard to capture the mood after spoiler[the kids had their world completely deconstructed in a quite unpleasant way by the sadistic library horse.] But compare how it was handled in a series like PMMM and here to see how experienced direction would have significantly improved execution. The pacing choice, the choice of what to adapt, and the critical decision how to reveal information in a way that is suited for the screen is key to successful adaptation. Unfortunately, we've had a few stumbles.

I felt the episodes up to and including the info-dump were handled brilliantly. The thing is, in the recent episodes spoiler[they could have spent some more time developing the current duo's relationship with the rat colony before thrusting us into the conflict. As it stands, it feels like hard to keep up with what is happening and you really are not give enough reason to care about the rats.] I think the audience needs this time to reflect and understand. Also, continuity in a novel is very different from continuity in an episodic visual medium. Thus, even if the novel tends to focus more on spoiler[Satoru and Saki], that doesn't mean it will necessarily work in the anime. I feel like they should be giving us scenes showing what is going on with the others, even if it isn't very much. Also, the slipshod animation the latest episode, specifically the frogs spoiler[that Satoru boils with his regained PK], was just plain rubbish.

All in all, it remains a show which continues to excite me and I look forward to most. I would reserve giving it high praise until much further down the road.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
My point is that SAO has failed in that regard. If you looked at the first 7 episodes or so, you might have thought spoiler[that the show was going to be more about the adventure and the danger and mystery of this death trap scenario, and whether or not the (poorly developed) heroes can survive.] As flawed as it was, that set up had a lot of potential. From episode 8 until now though, that dramatically shifted to spoiler["the whole death trap set up doesn't really matter anymore, now this is just all about whether or not Kirito and Asuna can be together forever."]
As I said in response to your review, spoiler[I did think the switch to the love story worked as far as making a believable love story, and there were moments where it was touching. However, that shift destroyed the sense of adventure. I don't think the second arc has done much of anything to try and get that sense of adventure back.] I think focusing too much on how the villain might spoiler[sexually and/or physically abuse Asuna] rather than what exactly his grand evil idea means for the world is a mistake. To take an example from this season, look at From the New World. As much as some people complain about the artistry of that show, I think they have done a fantastic job of creating a sense of foreboding and some idea of how the behind the curtain evils of this world have an impact on the protagonists, even if we don't know all the answers yet. Couldn't SAO have done at least that at this point? Maybe just show some kind of foreboding scene where some innocent person is "changed" by the villain's evil plan? The fact that they haven't done that yet shows that their priority is more on this love (now triangle) story aspect. The fan service that's been crudely thrown in has been an exclamation point reinforcing this problem. Look, I don't disagree with you that there is much enjoyment to be found in SAO. If there weren't, I wouldn't still be watching (although I have considered dropping it more than once.) However, at a minimum I don't think its a good sign when a show is constantly playing catch up on developing basic concepts BEFORE the audience starts to notice they are missing and complaining about that.

This is pretty much view, I went and I was sold on what I thought was be an awesome premise centering around action and more importantly a grand adventure. What I got was a fairly typical shounen romance story, which pushed this sense of adventure to the sidelines. I guess that's what I get for not spoiling myself by reading all of the blogs and such, but still. Like CK, I still watch it because it is still enjoyable despite many flaws.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I do expect that at some point, the villain will do something with this side plot of his. My complaint was more about the fact that the way the villain's grand evil plan has been sidelined into a secondary plot only mentioned in one episode...

And, again, only one episode has passed since that was first revealed. If we'd gone three or four episodes without it being mentioned again, I'd agree that you have a valid complaint.

Well, yes there has been one episode since that one, but just consider this: Generally, there tends to be SOME foreboding of a villain's evil master plan before the villain comes in front of the audience and gloats to us all about exactly how he/she is going to take over the world. That was one of the reason's I mentioned From the New World, since I think the foreboding in that show was quite effective. Same thing with Magi, that show has had some fantastic use of foreboding up to this point. I think it probably would have been nice to see someone impacted by the villain's evil plan before Episode 17 (there were 2 episodes before it) just to give us a sense of the impending doom of his villainy. Again, without that it comes off as if his ultimate evil plan is just a back burner thing while he focuses on his Asuna fantasy, particularly since every episode up till now has had a general plot line of spoiler["Will Kirito save Asuna before the villain rapes and/or marries her comatose body? Also, Kirito's sister is stacked and has the hots for him."] Now, personally I think they have already dramatically weakened the sense of doom by stalling on any demonstration of his evil plan. However, if they can't connect it in a meaningful way in the next episode, we will have gone 5 episodes (possibly half or a third of the entire arc, if it ends at episode 26 or 30) without any real impact from the bad guy's evil plot. You might be totally OK with that, but I think it is a major flaw.

Quote:

I think one of the reasons why I have less of an issue with SAO than a lot of people seem to is that I've never really seen it as being an action-adventure series, nor has that ever been my expectation for it. It has some of those elements, to be sure, but that's never really been the driving force in the series, so I haven't been disappointed when it hasn't played out that way. Really, though, it just comes down to the fact that I've liked what I've seen so far enough that I'm willing to overlook (most of) its flaws. It's still my top-priority view in any given week out of the 6/7 series I'm actively following.

Oh, and I've never seen AtLA, nor have I ever had any interest in it.

When SAO first came out, it seemed to be presenting itself as action/adventure/mystery/fantasy type stuff. This makes sense since it is based on an action focused MMORPG. The death trap aspect of it also added in a sense of survival (without the horror). I'm not sure how you felt like that was never what the show was really about. I do agree it shifted focus at some point, but as I said that is part of my issue.

Also, yea I know AtLA is not Japanese Anime and some people are morally opposed to anything that is not Japanese Anime. However, some day you might want to give it a chance. It is without a doubt one of the best written and most emotionally engrossing animated series I have seen, with a (mostly) very well developed and appealing main cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15