• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black: Meteor of the Gemini (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I just noticed Yoko Kanno isn't the composer. Haven't seen the series yet, but I'm a little hesitant now. This new person doesn't even have any music credits listed in the Encyclopedia. Hopefully I'll be surprised or something. Also, I've add this thread to the Discussions Index.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Mao has the power to transfer his mind to any animal. But his usual body has the system(the bell on his neck). That system basically make up for the animal's brain keeping Mao from becoming an animal himself. And that's why I said that wasn't him, since there was no need to sacrifice his usual body along the system on a mission Hei had under control.

Edit: Thanks TK.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
If that was Mao, I don't think he was planning to get shot. April was aiming at burger-dude, the cat just happened to be there when she fired. I doubt it was an intentional sacrifice.
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
You're missing one thing there. April doesn't know BK201's true identity, unless the Syndicate decided to share some of their intelligence with MI6, which is very unlikely to have happened.

That's not what I was trying to get it. The point being is that all the hints lead to the mask contractor being Hei. His jacket, his electricity attack, his gadgets, his hairstyle and even his cold eyes. You get my point.

I thought something was different when I heard the music in the beginning. Guess that's the reason. The action scenes music had a retro rave feel to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Something just occurred to me re: Mao - we saw a black cat with a collar like Mao's bump into Pecha, Suou's pet. Maybe Mao transferred his body into him?
theater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
All speculation aside, I think we can agree that this season is not pulling any punches. As far as the music goes, I personally was so involved in the plot that I didn't notice it in the slightest which I believe is a credit to the writing because the background nuances don't distract from the visual and spoken narrative.

Although pedantic, I am anxiously awaiting new contractors, new powers and new obeisances. That Magician definitely has piqued my interest.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Maybe Mao got out of the body before it was killed. (It really did look like him, black cat with the red collar and little bell). Remember what his ability is? I'm guessing that's why the cat was at the window looking at Suou's pet squirrel (?) Pecha. Mao was doing recon on her or her brother or the lab in general.
We don't really know what happened to Mao at the end of the first season. spoiler[He didn't die, he just kind of freaked out and ran away.] Unless I'm remembering wrong.

Yeah, and that's not a bad thought that I've thought about too, the first time you see Mao's cat form can definitely be interpreted as one of his recon missions like in season 1 and we know the Shion/Suou residence is of interest to Hei. spoiler[Hope he survives because to have his cat that looked just like him show up and seemingly die just for a visual cameo without even a line of dialogue is too lame of a "final" death for such an awesome character.]

arachneia wrote:
I thought it was the cat that used to house Mao's brain before it was disconnected from the database...

Yeah, if I remember correctly I believe they mention that the majority of his consciousness is kept on the network that Mao's cat connects to wirelessly and occasionally has to disconnect from sometimes and he can switch at any time to another animal without "payment" since he completed his remuneration. spoiler[Hence why it's still quite possible the special region they entered in S1 might have cut off the connection so he might not be dead-dead given what happened with the cat taking over so suddenly.]
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Note: Episode 2 spoiler.

spoiler[Waiting for subs but, episode 2 doesn't seem to contradict our thought that Mao could have possibly transferred to Pecha. While we've seen regular animal characters do this in various shows ofcourse, Pecha pulls a Mao and jumps on Genma's face which gives Suou the opening with the trash can and allows Suou to run away.]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Damn, I just noticed Yoko Kanno isn't the composer. Haven't seen the series yet, but I'm a little hesitant now. This new person doesn't even have any music credits listed in the Encyclopedia.

I wasn't paying that much attention but the background music in the beginning of episode 1 when we see Hei's feet and then the title was cool. I'm optimistic.

I'm actually not surprised Hei's gone spoiler[kind of nuts...isn't his remuneration feeling emotion? That's an endless cycle of killing heartlessly and then feeling guilt. Ugh.] Episode 1 was awesome.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the subs, the action looks fantastic in this episode.

S2 ep 2 voice credit spoiler:
spoiler[Yes! Looks like we were onto something with those speculations. Smile Omni just made my day with the new blog post for episode 2 noting that among the voice cast credits for episode 2, the voice that told Shion to run away near the beginning of the episode belonged to Mao’s voice actor Sawaki Ikuya, and he’s listed in the credits as just 声 (voice). As we were trying to speculate due to the appearance of the cat, while there's no totally definitive proof that it's definitely Pecha (Pescha?), the only thing and animal known to be with Suou during that escape sequence is Pecha who shows himself when he jumps on Genma's face when she's in trouble in the very next scene. Looks like Mao is back and managed to switch animals before the sad shooting of the awesome cat. Smile

Hopefully they bring this out in the open soon so that Mao can interact again, and then we'll need more info on Yin.]
veed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Subs' out.

spoiler[Hei's not the baddie. We've been led on.]
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
^ They can't expect us to think the main character (even if he's out of focus atm) is a villain.

The show remains awesome. I bet they thought - what can we do to make it even more so? Ah yes, lightsabers! So we have a sort of lightsaber-katana, but still cool.
That aside, I still love the attention to detail. The setting looks very realistic (seriously, even the police uniforms and cars, fire trucks, chips, everything).

I wonder why they've decided to make Hei follow the way of Max Payne. He has drinking issues and is now a groper Razz

All that aside, the ending spoiler[is way too tragic. I mean, it could be expected, but losing Yin is basically losing one of the main attractions of the show. If she is indeed gone, and they're so quick about dispatching characters from season one, then it wouldn't be too much of a surprise if Hei dies.]
Judging by the preview it looks like the next episode will be a treat.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Damn, I just noticed Yoko Kanno isn't the composer. Haven't seen the series yet, but I'm a little hesitant now. This new person doesn't even have any music credits listed in the Encyclopedia. Hopefully I'll be surprised or something. Also, I've add this thread to the Discussions Index.

Yasunori Ishii should be credited with Hellsing's score, which was excellent.

This is the guy listed as doing Hellsing's score right now.

person#664
Raida|23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
How's this 2nd series? Worhty? Also, is it connected to 1st series? Because I'm actually re-watchin it, just in case, but if it isnt I could drop it and move on to new eps..
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
What the heck? Did they just spoiler[kill off both Yin and Hei in the same episode and this is only the second? Mad Since this is a sci-fi series I'm going to put forth the clone theory.

Also I have to laugh that sword girl is apparently a lesbian and has to kiss a man as per the contract. Laughing ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23