• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Darker Than Black: Meteor of the Gemini (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Comet Reaper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'd originally thought during the first season that it was some sort of spiritual sign from"above" i.e. Heaven and Hells gates, but then, as the series went on, it started to sound more like some kind of extremist evolution thing. But this alien experimentation brings up some interesting viewpoints... spoiler[Is it possible that the being that came to earth at the end of season two was some kind of perfected doll?] It really does leave a lot of questions.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
I've watched the whole Darker Than Bllack series in it's chronological order with the first season, than the Gaiden OVAs and the second seson: Ryuusei no Gemini. And as probably many people have I've been thinking about the ending to the second season. I actually liked it, the problem is I wasn't really fond of the whole season in general. If the rest were better, I'm sure I would've loved the ending. Nonetheless I've got my interpretation of the ending and also some questions. I guess I don't have to mention that for anybody who hasn’t seen the first and second season + OVAs of Darker than Black, these questions will contain spoilers.

1. In the end of the Gaiden OV As, Yin sais she wants a wish granted, what was that wish?
My interpretation: I've got nothing on this one.

2. Who was Izanagi, was it Hei, Shion or maybe July? My interpretation: I would guess it was Shion. First of all, that's what some of the characters theorized in the anime, and they must've had some leads. Second, he and Izanami contrasted each other. One had a destructive power the other had a creative one, just like Izanagi/nami in Shinto mythology. Last one is a technical thing, but if he wasn't then that would mean his role in the story was kind of pointless. That would make Suou's role pointless to (in my opinion it was to some degree anyways.)

3. Did Hei kill Yin?
My interpretation: No. First of all, he it was obvious from Gaiden that he didn't want to kill her and possible even loved her. Why would he change his mind? Secondly if anything it was Izanami he was after, and not Yin. He might have thought he needed to kill her in need to kill Izanami though. Another thing is thing is that if Yin was killed by him then what was the point of getting his powers back? For me he got them, possibly from Izanami herself, to seperate her Yin and Izanami from each other. Also, if he actually did kill Yin, it would be to destroy her observer spirit/Izanami and as we see at the end of the episode, we see either her or at least something that came from her, and continues on her killing spree. If it exists then what would be the point of killing Yin anyway. Last but not least, c'mon it's Yin! She just couldn't die Very Happy.

3. What was the Yin-looking person at the end of the episode.
My interpretation: In my opinion Hei somehow divided Izanami from Yin with his sisters powers. Now there are two options of what might have happend. Either that person is Izanami herself, or it's possibly a fused Izanami-Izanagi, which I’ve seen people calling Kagutsuchi on the internets (the mythological son of Izanami/nagi). I’d rather bend towards the first version for two reasons. First of all, Shion sacrificed himself to create the Arc and in turn died so I don’t think there was a chance for him to fuse with Izanagi. Secondly the person at the end seemed to embody only the destructive nature of Izanami, and not Shion’s creative one. You could argue against this though, with the fact that the entity person seemed to be male or somehow undefined, as if it really were a fusion of man and woman. But the counter argument could be that either Izanami somehow being the polar opposite of Yin got a male body or that it’s actually Shion that has created the body, copying Yin’s and just as in the case with Suou the copy wasn’t exact.

Of course, I might be completely wrong because I missed some detail so I’d be glad to hear other opinions, though similar ones would be nice to Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 23 of 23