• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Misses Ceremony With Emperor Due to Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
The whole "he's *such* a hard worker" thing seems like a cop-out to me: a cheap way of "saving face" (which is apparently all-important in many Asian cultures). That sort of excuse wouldn't fly at all in the West.

It does seem like a "cop-out" because there is no cultural context for that to be believed or taken seriously in the West like it is in the East.

Kinda like when, in Japan, someone murders during a "love suicide" and ends up deciding to live after they already killed the other person, the courts usually cut down their sentence because they "did it out of 'love'." We wouldn't really consider "love" to affect our murder sentences in the West. It's unspeakable! It's irrelevent! But then, in Japan, they think not considering it is an insult to the humanity of the murderer. In the West, we just sorta throw the notion that the murderer is human to the wind because a murder was involved.

It really is a cultural thing. The Emperor was much more important when he had more authority, but as of right now, skipping out on the Emperor's meeting to continue working in your craft is not just "commendable"--it is "expected" of someone with the reputation Miyazaki has toward his work. No one will be upset. People will simply awe at it and then go back to their normal lives.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Prince Akishino, and Princess Akishino

Somehow I think this is a typo. I doubt the emperor and empress named both their children the same thing, regardless of gender. Rolling Eyes

All I got from this was that Miyazaki either really cares for his work and has tunnel vision for anything and everything else, or he did this on purpose to snuff the rulers.
partially

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Somehow I think this is a typo. I doubt the emperor and empress named both their children the same thing, regardless of gender. Rolling Eyes

All I got from this was that Miyazaki either really cares for his work and has tunnel vision for anything and everything else, or he did this on purpose to snuff the rulers.

They are husband and wife. Seriously if nothing else you could of spent all of 5 seconds googling, rather than spending more time accusing others of incorrect information which is correct.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
When One considers that when the emperor's father had addressed the populous on the radio when Japan finally surrendered in WW2, and that that was the first time anyone except those close to the royal court had even heard his voice for the first time, let alone seen him, to up to last year when the present emperor also came out of his self imposed isolationism and addressed the surviving victims of the Earthquake, and Tsunami, "because of some sense of guilt and government coersion". When people like that treat the people who basically pay their bills, and keep them in their nest of privilege, with contempt and then have to be "coersed" to show the token amount of "sympathy and thoughts" they gave to the families forever torn apart by disaster, who still today are struggling to get what's left of their lives back together with still no support from a government that is spending millions to support the foundation of the monarchy? I'd be more surprised if Miyazaki accepted and attended the invitation. Evil or Very Mad
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
HAHA although I am not the biggest fan of his movies I sure do love this guy as person.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
That's Miyazaki for you. And don't expect him to give much of reason other than being a workaholic. Well, can't say I know how Japanese act or consider rude. For all you know they could be thinking "good job" he's a hard worker. But man, missing out on the "emperor"... yeah, that's kind of bad but that's our take on it.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
It really is a cultural thing. The Emperor was much more important when he had more authority, but as of right now, skipping out on the Emperor's meeting to continue working in your craft is not just "commendable"--it is "expected" of someone with the reputation Miyazaki has toward his work. No one will be upset. People will simply awe at it and then go back to their normal lives.

I think it depends on who you ask and where you live in Japan. The Japanese I speak to, some ex-pats and some just here temporarily, have a great deal of respect and reverence for the Emperor. Yes, he doesn't hold any political power to speak of anymore (though those black speaker vans would want otherwise with there whole "revere the Emperor" shtick). However, he does remain a central figure in the spiritual life of many Japanese. This is more of a factor in the rural areas, so yes I can imagine that salarymen would feel differently. But still, as people age they tend to look towards spirituality and tradition--it is a very Asian aesthetic. So, I don't think the Emperor is going anywhere anytime soon, nor is he quite as irrelevant as some would have you believe. In fact, I would argue that he will play a huge role in what I believe is the identity-crisis that Japan faces as their population demographics continue to change.

But back to the point, it doesn't help that Myazaki has a huge beef with Japan's role prior to and during WWII, believing that Imperial Japan was dead wrong (while opinions vary on this, he takes it to a minority extreme). So, him skipping out on the ceremony has more to do with him acting like a cranky bastard towards those he doesn't like (anyone with even a whiff of Imperial Japan about them) and less to do with dedication to work. He is being rude and should rightly be called on it, though I doubt he will since most know he quite unapologetic. It's less a case of being in awe and more a case of shouganaiyo; people know he's incorrigible at this point, so it isn't worth getting upset about it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
My impression is pretty much the same as dragon695's. However, as I said before, for me the issue boils down to how the matter was presented to Miyazaki. Was it: "We would like to honor you for your contributions... blah, blah, blah. Please accept this invitation to attend a meeting with the Emperor in order to present it." Or was it: "You have been chosen to receive this award from the Emperor. You will present yourself at this date and time in order to receive your award."

If Miyazaki was invited, accepted the invitation, and then didn't show up, that is rude. Period. If he was told he was *expected* to come, and then thumbed his nose at them, that's a very different thing, IMO, and I have no problems with him blowing them off.

Also, the "the Emperor has no real power/just a figurehead" belief is, I think, wrong. To me, it's just like the idea that the Japanese believe in "turning things over to the next generation" once they reach a certain age. This *never* happens. The vast bulk of the power in Japan is held by the old, and it's been that way for a long time. The old, at the very least, respect the Emperor. The young may think they're all fresh new voices who will go their own way, but somehow "their own way" never seems to deviate much from the way of the previous generation, unless something external forces that to happen. I'm not saying that no change occurs at all, merely that it is a lot less than what is sometimes believed.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

I think it depends on who you ask and where you live in Japan. The Japanese I speak to, some ex-pats and some just here temporarily, have a great deal of respect and reverence for the Emperor. Yes, he doesn't hold any political power to speak of anymore (though those black speaker vans would want otherwise with there whole "revere the Emperor" shtick). However, he does remain a central figure in the spiritual life of many Japanese. This is more of a factor in the rural areas, so yes I can imagine that salarymen would feel differently. But still, as people age they tend to look towards spirituality and tradition--it is a very Asian aesthetic. So, I don't think the Emperor is going anywhere anytime soon, nor is he quite as irrelevant as some would have you believe. In fact, I would argue that he will play a huge role in what I believe is the identity-crisis that Japan faces as their population demographics continue to change.

But back to the point, it doesn't help that Myazaki has a huge beef with Japan's role prior to and during WWII, believing that Imperial Japan was dead wrong (while opinions vary on this, he takes it to a minority extreme). So, him skipping out on the ceremony has more to do with him acting like a cranky bastard towards those he doesn't like (anyone with even a whiff of Imperial Japan about them) and less to do with dedication to work. He is being rude and should rightly be called on it, though I doubt he will since most know he quite unapologetic. It's less a case of being in awe and more a case of shouganaiyo; people know he's incorrigible at this point, so it isn't worth getting upset about it.
See? I knew some of you colonialists would miss a monarchy. Laughing
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Well, Emporor or not, in my rude, messy and unpolite Western world there's no excuse for missing appointment without good excuse given personally and in advance.

Miyazaki never promised to appear there from very beginning; there was no "appointment" to miss.

As others told, Miyazaki might not have much time left, so he tries to do as much as he can. He spends all of his time on work. So we can not really go judgemental here and call Miyazaki "conceited" without being arrogant ourselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3