• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Anime Premieres on Syfy's Ani-Monday Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Aren't reruns airing on Chiller? I heard the time cuts will be less numerous there.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
chronoclast wrote:
The first episode is already streaming on Manga's website, it's the video titled Herr Doctor Tenma. http://www.manga.com/titles/monster

Is that a legal site?

Manga.com is Manga Entertainment's site, so I figure it's pretty legal.

Quote:
Quote:
On the bright side, Liam O'Brien is voicing the main character, so we can expect a stellar dub on his part.

While I've liked O'Brien in what I've heard him in, one voice actor does not a dub make, especially not in a series like Monster where you've probably got a hundred characters or more by the time it's done.

But having a strong lead can help overshadow less than stellar dubs of minor characters. Just being optimistic about the dub, and I singled out Liam because I can't recall the other leads' VAs(and because I haven't seen the show to know who besides Liam is a lead).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, Monster on Syfy---eat at Sonic! Join the Navy! Medical alert bracelets! Eureka is on Fridays! Sci-Fi Original Movie about Megashark vs Iguana Boy, starring Bruce Campbell! Trantolo & Trantolo!---I sure am excited about cut scenes and seven commercial breaks!

The commercials are not that bad. People need to stop picking on SyFy, becuase they are a hell-of-alot better then Adult Swim. I mean really now, AS would never play a show like this (and if they could get bribed into playing it, they would never play it two episodes a night, at this killer time slot, it be like 4 in the mourning on Sunday, one episode ata time, or something terrible like that). The commercials are a lot shorter on SyFy, compared to the never-ending commercial on Adult Swim, I much prefur it that way. Of course this is personal preference anyway. And while we are at it, let's not forget all the cuts Adult Swim made to Paranoia Agent and tons of other shows, they are much worse then Syfy in my eyes. SyFy is not the only channel that cuts stuff. If you want the show uncut, buy the DVD's.

Anyway...I am super psyched about finally being able to see this show! Can't wait for tonight. This will be an epic journey that's for sure. This will be playing for like over a year right? And that's if Manga Ent/SyFy don't brake it up a little by playing a movie here and there. Talk about a long show lol.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, Monster on Syfy---eat at Sonic! Join the Navy! Medical alert bracelets! Eureka is on Fridays! Sci-Fi Original Movie about Megashark vs Iguana Boy, starring Bruce Campbell! Trantolo & Trantolo!---I sure am excited about cut scenes and seven commercial breaks!

The commercials are not that bad. People need to stop picking on SyFy, becuase they are a hell-of-alot better then Adult Swim. I mean really now, AS would never play a show like this (and if they could get bribed into playing it, they would never play it two episodes a night, at this killer time slot, it be like 4 in the mourning on Sunday, one episode ata time, or something terrible like that). The commercials are a lot shorter on SyFy, compared to the never-ending commercial on Adult Swim, I much prefur it that way. Of course this is personal preference anyway. And while we are at it, let's not forget all the cuts Adult Swim made to Paranoia Agent and tons of other shows, they are much worse then Syfy in my eyes...

Adult Swim has one commercial break per program. They play a few commercials, then back to the show. Rarely do they cut anything, unless there's one of those after-credits epilogues in the final episodes of programs, and only a couple of times.

No, Syfy is far, far worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chronoclast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I also forgot to mention that Viz said at their panel at NYAF that the episodes will be available on Hulu the day after they broadcast. I'm going to watch it on Hulu instead since it shouldn't have the over abundance of commercials and edits Syfy does.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Adult Swim has one commercial break per program. They play a few commercials, then back to the show. Rarely do they cut anything, unless there's one of those after-credits epilogues in the final episodes of programs, and only a couple of times.

Not to get in a fight with you here. But Adult Swim plays one commercial that never, ever ends. The SyFy commercials are so short, that by the time they start they are over. I'd rather that. And yes Adult Swim cuts things. Watch Paranoia Agent on DVD, and then remember what you saw on AS. They cut stuff from almost every episode... Adult Swim is much, much worse, just by the terrible time slots they give anime alone. Never mind the way they treat fans and anime, or their blatant unprofessionalism, or their messing with the schedule way too much, or their dropping of shows...I could go on...

I'll take professionalism, great time slots, and better choice in shows, over whatever-the-hell anyone thinks Adult Swim has going for it anyday.

Last edited by Prede on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Also the episodes will be on itunes a day after broadcast
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The commercials are a lot shorter on SyFy, compared to the never-ending commercial on Adult Swim, I much prefur it that way. Of course this is personal preference anyway. And while we are at it, let's not forget all the cuts Adult Swim made to Paranoia Agent and tons of other shows, they are much worse then Syfy in my eyes. SyFy is not the only channel that cuts stuff. If you want the show uncut, buy the DVD's.

SyFy's commercials are shorter, and yet they still have to cut content from the shows themselves. So the shorter commercials don't even out. AS airs one longer commercial, but their shows don't lose any content. Paranoia Agent was a rare exception, and it was for content not time I figure. It sure wasn't so they could air 2 more commercial breaks. Having 3(instead of 1) just breaks the flow of the show too, which is my major annoyance about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Not to get in a fight with you here. But Adult Swim plays one commercial that never, ever ends. The SyFy commercials are so short, that by the time they start they are over. I'd rather that. And yes Adult Swim cuts things. Watch Paranoia Agent on DVD, and then remember what you saw on AS. They cut stuff from almost every episode... Adult Swim is much, much worse, just by the terrible time slots they give anime alone. Never mind the way they treat fans and anime, or their blatant unprofessionalism, or their messing with the schedule way too much, or their dropping of shows...I could go on...

I'll take professionalism, great time slots, and better choice in shows, over whatever-the-hell anyone thinks Adult Swim has going for it anyday.

I'd think most people would prefer one five minute commercial over 3 3 minute commercials. And Sci-Fi does it in the worst ways. You get like 5 minutes of show, commercial, 3 minutes of show, commercial, 1 minute, commercial, ending, commercial. I'd prefer Sci-Fi too if they have a better way to play the shows, but it's irritating to watch when every hour has to have 25 minutes of commercials.

Most anime aired in Japan only have one commercial break once the show starts (after the OP and first short break), usually right in the dead center. And the show is made so that the commercial won't kill all the tension of feeling at that point in time.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
SyFy's commercials are shorter, and yet they still have to cut content from the shows themselves. So the shorter commercials don't even out. AS airs one longer commercial, but their shows don't lose any content. Paranoia Agent was a rare exception, and it was for content not time I figure. It sure wasn't so they could air 2 more commercial breaks. Having 3(instead of 1) just breaks the flow of the show too, which is my major annoyance about it.

When Syfy aired Now and Then, Here and There; they cut out IIRC about the first three or four minutes or so of the first episode just to make room for more commercials. That is far worse than Adult Swim.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the post. I was going to forget that Monster is going to be on tonight. I saw it already, but I am interested how the dub will sound. I really hope they have great German accents in this show. Not too strong, but just enough to make the feel more athentic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

Having more commercials means they have faith people are watching their shows. Which is much more then Adult Swim has. It's a good thing, not a bad thing. Yeah I'd rather they'd have only one commercial where it should go, so it doesn't brake the flow, and that be the lenght of their regular commercials, not the insanely long Adult Swim ones, but nothing is perfect. Hell ina perfect world they would not have any commercials or anything like that, but that is not feasible. They run their network for profit you know,( so they don't end up like the idiots in Atlanta who run Adult Swim). I still rather enjoy shorter commercials then longer ones, and SyFy does that, so that's still a plus in my book. I admit there are some problems with SyFy and they could use some improvements, but they are still superior to Adult Swim without question. You want the show uncut, buy it on DVD, like you should anyway to support a show you enjoy.

Besides SyFy barely cuts much from the shows anyway...Most of the time they don't cut anything. People are complaining over something that's not that big of a problem (and if it is, buy the DVD"s). Sure I'd rather then not cut a second off the show as well, but come on now...
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Commercial wise, I prefer the AS method that allows one to get up, grab and drink and comeback. Though I don't give it all that much notice either way. As long as it's not like Comedy Central late night where every third one is the same Girls Gone Wild ad (watched a South Park marathon once, and saw it about 20 times over a three hour period, we were cracking jokes over it).

Ad space aside, it's great that Monster's airing on TV. It's an exceptional series, and deserves more exposure. Here's hoping the dub is good, as the dialog and performances can really make or break a show like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

LOL. I was originally planning on staying up for this on SyFy, but seeing as it's on Manga, and supposedly on Hulu and iTunes later, bedtime is looking better all the time. I was happy to see that Manga linked to a DVD listing for Monster on December 8th, 2009 - I will be picking this series up!
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't able to watch the whole first episode so I can't say for certain if there were any cuts or not. What I did find troubling, however, was what was done to the soundtrack. Earlier, I watched one of the dub preview clips of the first episode's opening scene with Tenma asleep at his apartment and thought something was off but couldn't quite place it. When I saw the conclusion of the episode I was able to understand what was wrong. The music used at the beginning, the end, and possibly elsewhere has been changed, one track swapped out for a completely different one. With the closing scene, where Doctor Tenma comes to his decision to ignore the order from the director and operate on Johan instead of the mayor, they swapped out the original music and replaced it with another, much darker track, that gives the impression that something terrible is happening. What is particularly troubling about this move is that it changes the entire tone of the scene. Tenma doesn't yet know the danger Johan poses. As far as he is concerned he is an unfortunate child who is at death's door and may very well be left there to satisfy the director's greed. Given the wholly negative light in which the views of Eva and the director are presented, the original scene came off as something of a victory, the music more positive in its tone. That positive tone, however, is then compromised in the final moment when we have the young Anna lying in shock, repeating the words over and over "please kill him." The new music that has replaced the original, while not a bad piece in the right context, blunders through this moment making it seem as though Tenma's just made the worst decision of his life when, at this point, we have no reason to think that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5