• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Anime Premieres on Syfy's Ani-Monday Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The dub is so flat. In a drama where there is really no action, you would expect people would make up for it in the tone of their voice. Still, it's Monster and as long as they get the story across, I can't complain.

Just watch it guys. Hopefully this will send a message to companies to put up more great shows like this and less Bleach.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I was just watching the sub again today and I like it, but...I don't think Tenma's VA was particularly incredible. He did a good job with it, but to my ears, no better than O' Brien so far. (Although I'll be the first to admit that they're very different! O' Brien's kind of using his Maniwa persona from Paranoia Agent, which is my favorite role of his, and I always thought the original Tenma, far from sounding older, sounded very young and quite overly passionate at times.) The exception to this are the scenes where he's particularly ragged. Then he adds a lot of scratch to his delivery that makes him sound older, but that's certainly not all the time.

Emphasis mine.

Tenma is overly passionate. No other kind of man would do what he did. As for sounding younger, he sounds his age range from the beginning to the end (28 to almost 40), and you can actually hear the progress of maturity in his voice. O'Brien plays him passionately as well, but A) it's a much more off-the-handle type of passion that doesn't suit Tenma, and B) he portrays it in a very unrealistic, wooden way. Kiuchi was amazing at channeling disappointment, reserve, shyness, authority, weariness, and everything else on the spectrum from being lighthearted to being at the brink of disintegration. O'Brien, on the other hand, has two gears. Okay, maybe it's not fair of me to say that seeing as we've only seen two episodes, but Kiuchi proved himself from the onset, as the modest but persevering person struggling with his conscience.

I'll answer you with a question: why shouldn't I have high expectations for the dub? Why should I assume that American voice actors are incapable of subtlety and realism? If Karas got good voice acting, why the hell couldn't Monster?

Code Geass and Elfen Lied are completely different types of anime. On the one hand, you have an over-the-top shonen led more by the ratings than a coherent progression of events. On the other, you get elf ears and bloody murder. And then you have Monster, which is as realistic as non-slice of life anime gets. You cannot apply the same standards. That's not to say that no one in the Japanese dub over-acted - but it wasn't as grating. And, anyway, the inferiority of the original does not mean the dub should let itself be mediocre.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... don't know if it was my browser/computer, but I tried watching Ep. 1 on Manga's site and twice was interrupted by full screen ads that played OVER THE VIDEO WHILE IT WAS STILL PLAYING. Couldn't even finish it. Evil or Very Mad It's not up on Hulu yet that I can see, hopefully soon. At least they put ads in *between* sections of the episode.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
I can't watch this since I'm outside the US, so I can't particularly comment, but just mentioning that I'd guess the Japanese language track on the DVDs would probably retain the original background music.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
Hmmm... don't know if it was my browser/computer, but I tried watching Ep. 1 on Manga's site and twice was interrupted by full screen ads that played OVER THE VIDEO WHILE IT WAS STILL PLAYING. Couldn't even finish it. Evil or Very Mad It's not up on Hulu yet that I can see, hopefully soon. At least they put ads in *between* sections of the episode.

That happened to me too, but you can pause the video while the ad is playing (or at least I could) and wait for the ad to end, then back up the video a little if you need to.

Sven Viking wrote:
I can't watch this since I'm outside the US, so I can't particularly comment, but just mentioning that I'd guess the Japanese language track on the DVDs would probably retain the original background music.

I'm hoping that at the very least that will be the case, but I'm also hoping that on the DVDs, both language tracks will retain the original music. If only the Japanese has it... well, that will make choosing what language I watch the show in when I get the DVDs simple.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. Why would they change the music for the English Dub, and leave it for the original audio track? That's just stupid. More likely this is a rights issue, where they couldn't get the entire soundtrack for whatever reasons, so they are replacing certian tracks with other ones from the series. It would be the same on both language tracks. But really as of now we don't know. This could just be a mix up for the TV airing or something odd like that, the DVD's may be unchanged...who knows?

Either way doesn't effect me. I'll be buying the DVD's regardless.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Not getting the original BGM has been an issue before with Viz. It happened with the first Naruto movie. They replaced some of the music in the dub with something that they made up on their own (wasn't half bad), but the original score was retained on the JP track. I'm assuming it'll be the same here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. Why would they change the music for the English Dub, and leave it for the original audio track? That's just stupid.

This is Viz we are talking about here. Their poor decisions rarely make any sense. Also note what this would imply: They had to make a new M&E track and thus the sub might be affected to.

Quote:
More likely this is a rights issue, where they couldn't get the entire soundtrack for whatever reasons, so they are replacing certian tracks with other ones from the series. It would be the same on both language tracks. But really as of now we don't know. This could just be a mix up for the TV airing or something odd like that, the DVD's may be unchanged...who knows?

Viz knows and they need to come out and say whats going on now. Viz hasn't commented on it but has put up a tweet:
Quote:
HL: First 2 episodes of #Monster on iTunes! Search for "Urasawa Monster".
With things like twitter, there is no reason that fans should have to find out about this after buying the DVD and not know it going into the purchase.

(Edit: They also said it was going up on Hulu and it's not up there. Mistake? )
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible that Monster was recorded with its VA and music work on the same audio layer, thus meaning the dubbers had to re-insert the music with the dub? No Japanese studio does that these days, but it's the only reason I can think of for the variable music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Is it possible that Monster was recorded with its VA and music work on the same audio layer, thus meaning the dubbers had to re-insert the music with the dub? No Japanese studio does that these days, but it's the only reason I can think of for the variable music.

That happened with Dominion Tank Police for example (and so they created a new sound FX, music track for the dub, and it's much better IMO, The original was alright, but the music Manga UK made for CPM's release was exellent!), but the Japanese Studios haven't done that for the longest time. I doubt that's what happened with Monster. Besides back in those days they couldn't seperate the tracks, but today it's possible with the aid of a computer. But it's probally expensive.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought Liam's voice was very appropriate for a young doctor who is struggling with his morality. Other than being the lead in DNA2 and Shobu in Duel Masters season 2, this is the only series I know of where he is the protagonist. Given that I have read Steve Kramer is often cast as wise/elderly men, his performance as Heinemann was good. He portrayed a character who morally disregarded others and used them for his own gain.
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I thought Liam's voice was very appropriate for a young doctor who is struggling with his morality. Other than being the lead in DNA2 and Shobu in Duel Masters season 2, this is the only series I know of where he is the protagonist.

Ah then you should really check out Ergo Proxy, because the dub for that is exellent. Liam plays the lead in that, and IMO that was perfect casting. Not to mention Megan Hollingshead's amazing performance. She really was perfect in this. One of my favorite dubs from NGP. It helps that the show is amazing. It's a mature thriller/Sci-Fi anime, that's very refreshing to watch. It's a little slow at parts, but it well worth it. Production values were through the roof, and the writing and direction was exceptional
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some of Megan's roles. Of the ones I've seen, my favorite is who she is most famous as (other than Officer Jenny in Pokemon when 4kids had it. 4kids did it better than PokemonUSA). I am referring to Mai on Yugioh until the end of the 2003-4 season because she moved to LA before she would've done the Orichalchos episodes.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Would the soundtrack change translate onto the DVD? Or would each language track come with its own track?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
Would the soundtrack change translate onto the DVD? Or would each language track come with its own track?

Impossible to say at this point. Hopefully we'll here something from Viz soon explaining why the soundtrack was changed and letting us know what the DVDs will be like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5