• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fairy Tail (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Geer was wiping the floor with Natsu & Gray.]
If Erza loses any more clothes, she's gonna provide the ultimate fan service.
Sabertooth's former master hasn't changed a bit in his behavior..
Looks like we're in for a prolonged period of fighting.
Good episode.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
so, where is Gildarts? I know he's stupidly powerful and pretty much an instant "I win button" for the guild, so he's always off on some sort of years long quest, but wouldn't this situation be the perfect time for him to return?
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
so, where is Gildarts? I know he's stupidly powerful and pretty much an instant "I win button" for the guild, so he's always off on some sort of years long quest, but wouldn't this situation be the perfect time for him to return?

The problem is they don't have any way to contact him. So since he's out traveling around, the only way for him to show up is to return by chance.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Well he still hasn't shown up in the manga and no one ever mentions him anymore. I'd like to think he'll eventually show up but considering current manga events it's ridiculous that he hasn't. Heck even in this arc he never gets mentioned and you'd really think he would.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
agreed. i thought Cana would have at least given him a card that cried for help, like with Lucy on Tenrou Island
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
IMO, Gildarts is nothing more than a plot device rather than a full-blown character. I mean, he *should* be, but he's not. I don't think the author envisioned him at all when he was starting out, and stuck him in there as a way to provide character development for Natsu.

It's too bad -- I *like* Gildarts -- but he almost never gets any mention at all in the series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 88:

Hmm....

So they wrapped up most of the fights now and apparently, Face's timer reached 0. Not really surprising imo with all the buildup. Glad to see Kyoka finally getting owned with their prolonged fight. This also sets up a few things for the final few episodes of the arc like the other guilds joining together to stop FACE, the fate of END, and I guess basically surviving.

Somehow, Pegasus is still relevant lol. I almost forgot about them. Fun seeing Kagura again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
agreed. i thought Cana would have at least given him a card that cried for help, like with Lucy on Tenrou Island

I'd have to recheck to confirmed the anime showed it (I'm pretty sure it did though), but Gildarts gave Cana a card with which to call him in case she needed him. She ripped it up.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
IMO, Gildarts is nothing more than a plot device rather than a full-blown character. I mean, he *should* be, but he's not. I don't think the author envisioned him at all when he was starting out, and stuck him in there as a way to provide character development for Natsu.

It's too bad -- I *like* Gildarts -- but he almost never gets any mention at all in the series.

Gildart's was foreshadowed from near the start of the series, back in chapter 22. Same time Laxus and Mystogan got their first mentions actually. A couple chapters later, he was established as being between Makarov, and the three active S-class wizards. After the Phantom Lord arc, he got a name and a silhouette. He also came in for a mention during the Fairy Festival arc when Mystogan confronted Laxus. So he was in the works for some time. The anime simply omitted the early foreshadowing, most likely because they weren't guaranteed more than 48 episodes to start with and didn't want dangling plot threads.

The problem that Gildarts runs into is he's too powerful to have around in most arcs involving the full guild. Makarov's age, declining health, and status as guildmaster work well to keep him on the side lines whenever it's required. Gildarts has no such restrictions. He could have handily dealt with Phantom Lord, Laxus, would have been the MVP of the tournament portion of the GMG arc, and would wreck much of Tartaros. And so on and so forth.

So he's usually kept out of the plot by virtue of being a wanderer by nature, who's frequently away from the guild at times like this.

This does leave his character development suffering, but that's kind of the hazard of powerful, experienced characters in general.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote
Pulling aces out of asses.
All in all not bad.
Lots of fighting and action.
No dull moments this time.
spoiler[Face ON with Gray vs Natsu over END book.
Looks like dragons had a good plan & very effective too.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 89:

This episode it felt like it dragged, first half was just the usual action to stop Face again.

The OST used was nice though so I guess that added some excitement.
So Zeref did bring himself to the battlefield this episode. Found it almost amusing at how calm his voice sounded...

Natsu's confrontation with him felt intimidating but didn't really expect anything big to break out. Cute Natsu with his flashback though...
Also, GG Mard Geer. About time. I couldn't stand that guy tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
So much stuff dragged out, but I guess when you have spoiler[dragons returning] and Natsu's spoiler[father, Igneel being killed], it is an episode's plot. If you look at it one way it is a character that only really just appeared in the series, but another it is something Natsu has been chasing after for years. He joined Fairy Tail for that very purpose, and he has been tracking down leads, for it to suddenly be gone is a big deal.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
So all the dragons were just spoiler[hiding in the dragon slayers' bodies.]
Acnologia isn't giving up that easily..
So it was once a spoiler[dragon slayer human] too.
Damn! spoiler[Igneel!!]
Damn that spoiler[Acnologia]!!
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 90:

Well that was an arc that finished with some emotional stuff in this episode.

Idk how I feel about it afterwards. I think the manga captured the magic of it better but the anime did have some memorable fights so. Tbh, I like most of the fights in the first half better than some of the latter half. This doesn't really set up for Fairy Tail Zero but it looks like it'll be a direct continuation (World Trigger treatment). Anyways, it was an alright arc, didn't exceed my expectations but did hit some of my points.

That Gray scene though....I think the music did a good job capturing the expressions of both him and Juvia. And that END scene (no pun intended) at the end gave me the chills.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
"Direct continuation"? Fairy Tail Zero's just the next arc of the anime. They've already got the official website for the series re-themed for it. Likewise, the only trailer for it is the next episode trailer which lists it as episode 266.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
"Direct continuation"? Fairy Tail Zero's just the next arc of the anime. They've already got the official website for the series re-themed for it. Likewise, the only trailer for it is the next episode trailer which lists it as episode 266.

Well I do understand the confusion since Fairy tail Zero was a spin-off that mashima did for a year alongside the main series (it was a monthly series) so it's been a little unclear if the anime would be a part of the current anime or considered a separate series.

It definitely does look like it's the former.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 53 of 57