• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fairy Tail (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
They're actually running a little too close to the manga at this point, with only 4-5 volumes worth of material left. My guess is either a) they're gonna do the spoiler[Avatar arc] in the remaining episodes of this cour, maybe extend it over a few weeks for the next one and insert a short filler or b) insert two or three filler episodes (maybe from some of the specials) and take a one year break. I'm rooting for the second option since then (manga)spoiler[ it would make the one-year time skip feel stronger]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
2014, Episode 100 (Episode 275) / (Fairy Tail Zero, 10 (Finale))

From 0 to A, I kind of really liked that theme. Although I kind of wish that we maybe saw more of the intervening stuff, maybe some early years up to Makarov. There was some emotional weight there even if you saw it so much ahead of time. Looking at the preview we are jumping right into post time skip.

Mavis promised that Fairy Tail would not cause problems and destroy houses. Yeah, she got that wrong. Also yeah, Blue Skull was the beginning of Phantom Lord. I kind of felt like a few things were skipped over that was important to the story too, most importantly is what the real deal with Mavis is. We have seen the show, Mavis is frozen underneath the guild hall, it is even in the OP for the ark. Is there more to her and the island?

The start of the guild Fairy Tail was a really cool bit. Also, the three treasure hunters looked like the guys from the Sun Village arc.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
They're actually running a little too close to the manga at this point, with only 4-5 volumes worth of material left. My guess is either a) they're gonna do the spoiler[Avatar arc] in the remaining episodes of this cour, maybe extend it over a few weeks for the next one and insert a short filler or b) insert two or three filler episodes (maybe from some of the specials) and take a one year break. I'm rooting for the second option since then (manga)spoiler[ it would make the one-year time skip feel stronger]

There's only two episode left in this cour, episodes 276, and 277. Episode 276 has the title of chapter 418, and we don't have the title of episode 277 yet. So at this point there are pretty much two possibilities. Either the next issue or two of Shounen Magazine have some big announcements for the anime and it continues into the next manga arc, or they have nothing and episodes 276 and 277 adapt chapters 418 and 419 respectively, and the 2014 series for Fairy Tail ends at that point.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail episode 101 (X792):

Honestly, this episode felt like a bore with the first half. I mean, it's nice to see Lucy again after the brief absence but I wasn't really into it. Until of course...Natsu arrived. That might of been the coolest part, seeing at how many times the word 'cool' was mentioned.

So Fairy Tail disbanded hmm? Or at least so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
So Fairy Tail disbanded hmm? Or at least so far.

And Natsu probably did not get the memo because he left the day before and no one knew where he was. So I see him and Lucy gathering up the old members again. Everyone will probably be stronger too, Natsu has reached a new level, melting clothes.

The "new" OP is kind of lazy, not that it is the same song as the Zero arc, but that I can pretty much recognise every part of it as recycled from the rest of series. All old stuff, nothing new.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The "new" OP is kind of lazy, not that it is the same song as the Zero arc, but that I can pretty much recognise every part of it as recycled from the rest of series. All old stuff, nothing new.

That would be because the series is ending. The Fairy Tail Zero arc is over, so they changed the animation to be more appropriate, but since they are only continuing long enough to get to a good stopping point they just did a bunch of scenes from the whole series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
Lol they played the first theme OP song of the 2014 season.

I can't believe they plan to end the season here, just feels weird...but oh well. Had fun watching this series with its good and bad moments. Lucy's outfit also gave me some nostalgia in the finale (episode 102). Looking forward to more in the future if they plan to adapt the Avatar Arc.

Not sure what to rate this yet but it was a fun ride. Had its good and bad moments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
It was either end here, where they could get a decent open ending that included some parallels with the first episode of Fairy Tail, or go into a filler hell, or keep going until they had to insert a filler arc in the middle of a canon arc, or end the series mid arc again.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
It was either end here, where they could get a decent open ending that included some parallels with the first episode of Fairy Tail, or go into a filler hell, or keep going until they had to insert a filler arc in the middle of a canon arc, or end the series mid arc again.

Nah they could have done the Avatar Arc and then go on break.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Sure they could've, but this is a great stopping point, that way when the anime comes back it'll feel like a real one-year timeskip
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Sure they could've, but this is a great stopping point, that way when the anime comes back it'll feel like a real one-year timeskip

Except the time skip already happened. If they wanted to do that they should have just ended it with Zero.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
But they wouldn't have been able to fit the Avatar arc in the two episodes to close off the cour, and they'd have to pad it to the extreme to stretch it over the Spring season. The Avatar arc is barely over a dozen chapters long after all. I honestly think they should've done a couple filler chapters here -like the silent chapter in which Natsu meets Gildarts and fights him- and close off with 1-year-later Lucy getting ready to cover the GMG while a cloaked Natsu looks over the arena or something, but this was fine too. They already padded and stretched Zero and Tartaros to the limits of their capabilities and made a mess out of them, I'd rather they give the manga some more room to breathe so whatever they do next isn't as sloppy
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But they wouldn't have been able to fit the Avatar arc in the two episodes to close off the cour, and they'd have to pad it to the extreme to stretch it over the Spring season. The Avatar arc is barely over a dozen chapters long after all. I honestly think they should've done a couple filler chapters here -like the silent chapter in which Natsu meets Gildarts and fights him- and close off with 1-year-later Lucy getting ready to cover the GMG while a cloaked Natsu looks over the arena or something, but this was fine too. They already padded and stretched Zero and Tartaros to the limits of their capabilities and made a mess out of them, I'd rather they give the manga some more room to breathe so whatever they do next isn't as sloppy

Well it's about 16 chapters so it could have worked. Not saying there wouldn't be a little filler mixed in but it would have worked well enough.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Every animated episode takes up around 2-3 manga chapters. They'd have to stretch it A LOT, and we saw how great that worked out in the Sun Village and Tartaros arcs, with endless recaps, lots of scenes of people just spamming their powers at each other senselessly and people talking really slowly. It was awful. Besides, the cutting point post-Avatar would be more awkward than the one they chose, since that one blends into the next arc right away, having a one-year break there would feel harsher than right now, where the show has sort-of come full cycle. Starting withspoiler[ Lucy and Natsu getting Fairy Tail back together] will be a much better and lighter way to start the next season, whenever it comes, than jumping straight to spoiler[Mest revealing Mavis's past to everyone and them sailing off to Alvarez]

Basically, just because they could've done it, doesn't mean they should've, the chances of it being awful were high and the stop they chose makes for a much smoother transition
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
GrayArchon wrote:

Nah they could have done the Avatar Arc and then go on break.

Besides the problems that have already been mentioned, I don't think they could do that. The time slot they're in seems to sell for a year at a time. Certainly it's common for a bunch of stuff in that Saturday morning block to end in the spring after a year or two. So they couldn't just continue through the spring season and stop then, they likely would have had to commit to another full year. Which likely would have required at least 6 months of filler, at a point in the series where it's difficult to decently put filler, and then either take the risk of being in the middle of the next big arc when next spring rolls around, or waiting until next spring to start the next big arc.

It's much better for them to stop here, wait a year, then start again in a great spot to resume the series, with a full year of additional material to work with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 57