• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai's Japanese Cast Records New Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomonX2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
If they don't use Gundam 00 level animation, I'm not watching. To debunk anyone who says 'Toei Animation will have spend too much money' please, just spare me the drivel. As bad as Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny's animation was, it was still better than Kai and it was somewhat consistent for 50 episodes each. Z and GT never had good animation in the 80s or 90s. Even Gundam Wing and X had better animation than the Boo saga or GT and those have ZZ level animation and between them, are some of the most recycled animated cartoons for the time. Also, Eva had better animation than the Boo saga as well. This pitiful 80s level animation in 2012 is inexcusable. Then again, most animated Japanese cartoons NOW are just Digimon level animation in HD.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
If they don't use Gundam 00 level animation, I'm not watching. To debunk anyone who says 'Toei Animation will have spend too much money' please, just spare me the drivel. As bad as Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny's animation was, it was still better than Kai and it was somewhat consistent for 50 episodes each.

Are you for real?
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
thelastgogeta wrote:
Manga Entertainment UK, the latter of which always seem to make the wrong choice of which series to release and when leading to a dubless Blue Exorcist here even now

Blue Exorcist does have an English Dub though, you can watch the first 5 episodes at NeonAlley.com (PS3 Exclusive), for only a $6.99 U.S.D. monthly subscription fine.

There's a reason he mentioned Manga UK you know. Rolling Eyes
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
If they don't use Gundam 00 level animation, I'm not watching. To debunk anyone who says 'Toei Animation will have spend too much money' please,

A reboot with new animation costs more than a director's cut edition, that is common knowledge.

Quote:
just spare me the drivel. As bad as Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny's animation was, it was still better than Kai and it was somewhat consistent for 50 episodes each.

Those shows are from 2002 and 2004

Quote:
Z and GT never had good animation in the 80s or 90s. Even Gundam Wing and X had better

Those shows are from 1995-96, which is the time dragonball z was ending. If anything dragonball animation quality was constant, the big change back then was using computers and with a weekly show it is very difficult to squeeze time to teach the animators to use computers. The Sailor Moon tv series (1992) on the other hand was done from the start using computers, so the animation improved a little over time.

Quote:
animation than the Boo saga or GT and those have ZZ level animation and between them, are some of the most recycled animated cartoons for the time.

Dragonball had average animation for the time, not the best, not the worst.

Quote:
Also, Eva had better animation than the Boo saga as well.

Evangelion cost a fortune to do, with that much budget and only 26 episodes to do they did wonders back then.

Quote:
This pitiful 80s level animation in 2012 is inexcusable. Then again, most animated Japanese cartoons NOW are just Digimon level animation in HD.

Get over it, they are not going to do a reboot only because a few fans throw a hissy fit because Kai has demonstrated that (at least overseas) enough fans will consume said product. I rather see investors throw money at new shonen series like Magi or Nura.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess that means that we are going to get the entire Majin Buu arc ready to be a part of Dragon Ball Z Kai? For fans disappointed with the series ending after the Cell saga and want to see Majin Buu incorporated, this is seen as good news.

As for why they are letting the Japanese cast come back to do the voices again despite that the new addition to the series won't air in Japan, I guess it would be practical because for the DVD/Blu-ray releases and since the series is huge overseas, it deserves to be done.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The Buu Saga was clearly the one that needed the Kai treatment the most. It's very bloated and repetitive, and there's so much that could be streamlined. In that respect I am happy for this announcement.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The Buu Saga was clearly the one that needed the Kai treatment the most. It's very bloated and repetitive, and there's so much that could be streamlined. In that respect I am happy for this announcement.

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how Toei managed to turn 7 manga volumes into 92 painfully slow-moving episodes. I definitely wouldn't miss the part where Goku and Vegeta fight tapeworms inside Boo's body.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I definitely wouldn't miss the part where Goku and Vegeta fight tapeworms inside Boo's body.

For three bloody episodes. Three. This is exactly what I was talking about, there is plenty of room to compact the Buu Saga without losing anything.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
thelastgogeta wrote:
Manga Entertainment UK, the latter of which always seem to make the wrong choice of which series to release and when leading to a dubless Blue Exorcist here even now

Blue Exorcist does have an English Dub though, you can watch the first 5 episodes at NeonAlley.com (PS3 Exclusive), for only a $6.99 U.S.D. monthly subscription fine.

There's a reason he mentioned Manga UK you know Rolling Eyes.

Sorry about that, all I saw was "Blue Exorcist" and "sub only", lol xD.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
If they don't use Gundam 00 level animation, I'm not watching. To debunk anyone who says 'Toei Animation will have spend too much money' please,

A reboot with new animation costs more than a director's cut edition, that is common knowledge.

Quote:
just spare me the drivel. As bad as Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny's animation was, it was still better than Kai and it was somewhat consistent for 50 episodes each.

Those shows are from 2002 and 2004

Quote:
Z and GT never had good animation in the 80s or 90s. Even Gundam Wing and X had better

Those shows are from 1995-96, which is the time dragonball z was ending. If anything dragonball animation quality was constant, the big change back then was using computers and with a weekly show it is very difficult to squeeze time to teach the animators to use computers. The Sailor Moon tv series (1992) on the other hand was done from the start using computers, so the animation improved a little over time.

Quote:
animation than the Boo saga or GT and those have ZZ level animation and between them, are some of the most recycled animated cartoons for the time.

Dragonball had average animation for the time, not the best, not the worst.

Quote:
Also, Eva had better animation than the Boo saga as well.

Evangelion cost a fortune to do, with that much budget and only 26 episodes to do they did wonders back then.

Quote:
This pitiful 80s level animation in 2012 is inexcusable. Then again, most animated Japanese cartoons NOW are just Digimon level animation in HD.

Get over it, they are not going to do a reboot only because a few fans throw a hissy fit because Kai has demonstrated that (at least overseas) enough fans will consume said product. I rather see investors throw money at new shonen series like Magi or Nura.

I already debunked all of this already. To your first point, Kai is a MODERN reboot, which is closer to the comic book. FMAB is the same and had new animation from FMA. For your second point, those two 1995/1996 shows have bad animation for their time. Double Zeta Gundam is from 1986 and sometimes even that looks better than Wing OR X and even THEY look better than DBZ, which means DBZ as a whole has early 80s level animation as a whole, which IS not average. Average for a 5 year old maybe, but not a person who is in their late 20s like me. Have some quality control! Sailor Moon's theory destroyed you as that has sucky animation as well. And Eva's budget was pretty cheap actually. It was around ¥6,200,000, which is give or take $100,000 episode which is NOT THAT EXPENSIVE! You have made a terrible rebuttal against me. I have high standards you know. This cheap piece of shit fails to meet me high standards. Like it all you like, but that's you
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
I have high standards you know.

*looks at your name and Avatar*

Um . . . yeah . . .

But seriously dude, you can't expect an almost-three-hundred episode show aimed at young kids and teens to have the same animation quality as Gundam 00. Well, you do expect that, because it's what you actually demanded a few posts back. But no normal human being would honestly say something like that.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
I definitely wouldn't miss the part where Goku and Vegeta fight tapeworms inside Boo's body.

For three bloody episodes. Three. This is exactly what I was talking about, there is plenty of room to compact the Buu Saga without losing anything.

That's what filler was/is for, simply to let those TV stations have what they will with the ad sales and continued promotion of said property.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
EPIC 5-MONTH LATER NECROBUMP!!!

It turns out that DBZ Kai and DB GT have both been removed from NickToons schedule as of yesterday, April 15, 2013.

THE PLOT THICKENS...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5