• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Surrounded by Sevakises

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
FUNimation
Viz
Bandai
Neo-ADV (Section 23)
Manga Entertainment
Right Stuf
Media Blasters
AnimeEigo

Is the above really it? I haven't really been paying much attention to the anime industry recently but just eight companies left, that is so not good.

Then you have to count the fact that only two of them are doing well
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
My own assessment of the situation was that Manga Entertainment was left to rot by Sony (after Anchor Bay bought Manga Entertainment and then Sony bought Anchor Bay)....most of their licenses have expired, and yes, sure, they got a Ghost in the Shell Blu Ray release for this Christmas, but *then what*? Manga Entertainment is a virtual non-entity. They're a ghost.

You're getting your companies a bit mixed up there. Manga was always part of a larger media company: first Island World Communications, then Palm, then Polygram, then IDG, then Starz, who manages it alongside Anchor Bay (which also has a long history of niche media and is now their Blu-ray division). They are still a part of Starz.

The atrophy started shortly after Ghost in the Shell was released, which was a hit, but not the bigger-than-Akira hit they'd hoped for and had way overspent on, since they co-produced it). By the time they were part of IDG they were already churning out mostly reissues of old VHS product, and were merely a small division in a big list of much bigger, more profitable entities. There have been a few attempts at restarting the brand since (Karas, Strait Jacket) but none have done all that great. So now rather than license new stuff Starz is using it as branding for their broadcast initiatives on SyFy and online.

You're right in that, as a DVD company and direct-from-Japan licensee, there's not much going on at this time.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Nyan Koi really did fall down, hard. The one quality otaku show this season won't get any love here, I know: Sora no Otoshimono. I even defended this season in the previews thread, but that was before more episode 2's. I still hold out hope for the continuations/spinoffs of good previous shows (though my disappointment at Kiddy Girl-and drove me to double my martinis). Still, maybe Letter Bee...

Believing bloggers and rumors... Most professionals aren't trusted anymore because the public now knows they have personal, political or corporate agendas. Government, lawyers and news outlets are always near the top of those "untrusted" surveys (news was at a 20-year low of 29% "they got it right" recently at Pew Research, and CNN, MSNBC and Fox News have all but destroyed any remaining faith in traditional objective journalism). Corporations aren't even a choice on the list because it would be pointless. Even if the script were real, the lawyers and marketing heads would huddle and assess the financial impact of disclosure, nothing to do with consumers or truth. Not saying the attitude is always justified, but that's why. The only place where journalism can continue to be trusted is in the niche areas like with ANN, where it's easy to discern fact from opinion because many readers are intimately familiar with the subject and because the trust has been earned.

Artist Alley... sounds like the doujin market, where the majority of professional artists seem to surface in Japan. The artist can distribute their work, potentially gain an audience, and build a portfolio. Companies turn a blind eye because they realize that a.) having their characters distributed more broadly increases the fan base, and b.) artists fund their own development and demonstrate initiative and success in a real marketplace. One would hope the Alley artists bring something new along with the copied characters, but the fan art, as Robin's example shows, is what can somewhat support the artist as they create a career. We need much more, not less of this.

Learning to Draw Manga... I always think of the standard Western example. Most of the original Impressionist masters first trained as Academic artists in the height of painting technology and realism at the time. Picasso could paint a photographic image before he developed his later styles. Same with writing, music, etc. Highly successful musicians usually had years of formal training, classical being the default program.

Anyway, too many subjects dear to me, so I'll stop Wink. Really great show this week for content, and still hilarious.

And yes, I actually am in real life a tiny little girl with a bad attitude and a lousy diet.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

You're right in that, as a DVD company and direct-from-Japan licensee, there's not much going on at this time.

thank you, but what of Bandai?

Okay, feeling like an idiot because I have no idea *why* but I forgot Media Blasters even though they're doing comparatively well.

The actual list is:

FUNimation
Viz
Bandai

Neo-ADV (Section 23)
Manga Entertainment
Media Blasters
Right Stuf

AnimeEigo doesn't really release anime anymore, they switched to live-action Japanese "foreign film" stuff

Tokyopop occasionally puts out a DVD or two but they're mostly a manga company, and have problems lately

Disney is technically a major licensor, in that they license the extremely lucrative Ghibli films...and ONLY the Ghibli films.

The question remains: odds on Bandai's survival? Their Christmas schedule is appalling. And Code Geass and Gundam 00 run out soon, what then?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Even though Bandai hasn't announced them yet, I'd be astonished if The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 and K-On! won't be major Bandai Entertainment releases next year, though they'll both probably be sub-only (due to "Endless Eight" limiting the casual audience appeal of the new Haruhi season and due to my doubts any kind of dub for K-On! could be profitable).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
So while listening to this episode, I came to the conclusion that Justin has such a deep voice and Zac has such a high voice that they could dub over their own yaoi and/or CLAMP anime. That would be boss.

ROFL aaauuuugggghhhh it's happening in my head now.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast as always guys, looking forward to more.

Interesting that in the Japanese animator's curriculum link mentioned earlier, one of the books listed is the Animator's Survival Kit. But I want to know - when you say the "How to Draw Manga" books are bad, are you just talking about the ones made in the US, or the ones translated from Japanese (such as the Game and Anime Characters series or the white with red letters How to Draw Manga series by Graphics-sha?) I'm curious now.
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Robin <3

Myaow wrote:
So while listening to this episode, I came to the conclusion that Justin has such a deep voice and Zac has such a high voice that they could dub over their own yaoi and/or CLAMP anime. That would be boss.

LMAO I support that conclusion.
eme13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Robin like Alphonse Mucha!!! HUZAAHH, that is so amazing. He has always been my favorite artist. I also rather adored her voice. I usually don't like people with heavy accents (might be the SoCal girl in me talking since it seems that people from SoCal never seem to have accents according to the people I talk to...)

Why do people hate the whole "what is your favorite anime" question? It seems like it might be easier than other common questions that people ask like, "what is it you love about anime most?" Or even the, "which do you like more, anime or manga?"
(*nudge nudge* care to answer those questions Justin and Zac?)

Honey and Clover is amazing!!! I am really not jiving with the grove that Chicks on Anime is dishing out. It seems that they over analyze everything (ie. their column on BL and yaoi). The Honey and Clover session turned into a bash on Hagu and then moe in general. I am happy to hear other females opinion on anime since it seems that most forums where females are present are rampant with 15 year old girls looking to have forum whoring sessions, but I feel that these women need another woman who likes the things that they all think is "misogynistic." ZAC, please get some new blood injected into that column!

Good podcast, that elicited another ridiculously long comment.

Can't wait for next week!
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Umai_Mouri wrote:
Robin <3

Myaow wrote:

LMAO I support that conclusion.

I bet you would! shall we start a petition?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Justin: I think Manga really went down after it paid Gainax's ransom money for the Eva movies. Those flicks probably took so long to get to dvd because the company had to re-release its old inventory on DVD, just to subsidize the costs.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
eme13 wrote:
Honey and Clover is amazing!!! I am really not jiving with the grove that Chicks on Anime is dishing out. It seems that they over analyze everything (ie. their column on BL and yaoi). The Honey and Clover session turned into a bash on Hagu and then moe in general.

For the record, I really love H&C and recall arguing pretty strongly in Hagu's favor. It's not like the Chicks on Anime columnists are hive minds; we frequently disagree with one another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
eme13 wrote:
I also rather adored her voice. I usually don't like people with heavy accents (might be the SoCal girl in me talking since it seems that people from SoCal never seem to have accents according to the people I talk to...)

I don't understand how people think Robin and I have accents. We don't. We're from Detroit. We might have a slight regional accent (and I occasionally and inexplicably have oddly British inflections), but really what you're hearing is just bitterness.

And there is a SoCal accent: Valley. If you ever want to hear how it sounds without the exaggeration of Pauley Shore or ditzy gum-chewing teenage girls, listen to the band Metro Station.

Quote:
Why do people hate the whole "what is your favorite anime" question? It seems like it might be easier than other common questions that people ask like, "what is it you love about anime most?" Or even the, "which do you like more, anime or manga?"
(*nudge nudge* care to answer those questions Justin and Zac?)

Because they're lazy questions, and ask us to come up with an ultimate viewing experience after 17 years of watching anime in different mindsets and as different people as we grow older. It's something I find impossible. I have a large list of anime I love, a handful that have changed my life in some way, but #1 out of the thousands I've seen? Any answer you get will be the result of on-the-spot whimsy, because I sure can't mentally go through the catalog that fast, and I sure don't have a permanent answer.[/quote]
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Even though Bandai hasn't announced them yet, I'd be astonished if The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 and K-On! won't be major Bandai Entertainment releases next year, though they'll both probably be sub-only (due to "Endless Eight" limiting the casual audience appeal of the new Haruhi season and due to my doubts any kind of dub for K-On! could be profitable).

Yes, the fanbase has become restless

Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Haruhi S1 and Lucky Star both dramatically undersold. What in the world makes you think they'll make Haruhi S2 and K-ON! major releases after that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5