• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Surrounded by Sevakises

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
Even though Bandai hasn't announced them yet, I'd be astonished if The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 and K-On! won't be major Bandai Entertainment releases next year, though they'll both probably be sub-only (due to "Endless Eight" limiting the casual audience appeal of the new Haruhi season and due to my doubts any kind of dub for K-On! could be profitable).

Haruhi S1 and Lucky Star both dramatically undersold. What in the world makes you think they'll make Haruhi S2 and K-ON! major releases after that?

I think Lucky Star's poor performance had a lot to do with Bandai's poor release plan. 6 volumes with an LE for each one save 5, it was just too much. They should have just down 2-volume packs with 3 LEs that don't have unappealing items like those stupid T-shirts.

As for Haruhi, I don't know if it was THAT bad. Bandai maybe just spent too much on the license or released too many copies (heard the same problem happened with Eureka Seven, too many copies were made than the demand warranted). Hopefully they'll have a better plan for Season 2.

As for K-ON!, it's not Haruhi or Lucky Star, so I don't know why you would think it would fail automatically. If it's because it is from Kyoto Animation like those two, Clannad was also from Kyoto and it sold quite well.
lijachan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed listening to this. :'3
Especially with the two of you talking with Robin. x'3

"...draw Sephiroth molesting Cloud's chest..."
I lawl'd. xD haha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I hate the way Bandai releases things. Every show I can think of has regular and LE sets: Scrapped Princess, Haruhi, Lucky Star, Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagan and so on. I'm just making assumptions because I know nothing, but it can't be cheap to make all those shirts, CD's and figures/toys and I think that's why a lot of their shows undersell, they have a lot of money to make up for that was spent on extras. From an outside perspective, I don't think you need an LE set for every release or even every show. I mean, once someone buys the first LE set, they're hooked, you have a buyer of your show. I don't think many people only buy the first LE set and don't get anymore. It feels like Bandai releases all of those LE's because they think they need to to keep the consumer buying the show even though no one ever only buys just the first set.

I'm sure Justin might read this and tell me how wrong I am, and I wouldn't doubt I am, but this is what it looks like to me, an outside perspective and a fan. They make and release all these additional sets because they don't think people will buy without all that extra stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
Even though Bandai hasn't announced them yet, I'd be astonished if The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 and K-On! won't be major Bandai Entertainment releases next year, though they'll both probably be sub-only (due to "Endless Eight" limiting the casual audience appeal of the new Haruhi season and due to my doubts any kind of dub for K-On! could be profitable).

Haruhi S1 and Lucky Star both dramatically undersold. What in the world makes you think they'll make Haruhi S2 and K-ON! major releases after that?

I think Lucky Star's poor performance had a lot to do with Bandai's poor release plan. 6 volumes with an LE for each one save 5, it was just too much. They should have just down 2-volume packs with 3 LEs that don't have unappealing items like those stupid T-shirts.

As for Haruhi, I don't know if it was THAT bad. Bandai maybe just spent too much on the license or released too many copies (heard the same problem happened with Eureka Seven, too many copies were made than the demand warranted). Hopefully they'll have a better plan for Season 2.

As for K-ON!, it's not Haruhi or Lucky Star, so I don't know why you would think it would fail automatically. If it's because it is from Kyoto Animation like those two, Clannad was also from Kyoto and it sold quite well.

The problem with Haruhi is going to be how the DVDs are handled in Japan. If it's a full 28-episode release, Bandai's going to be put over a barrel convincing fans to buy into it, especially considering that everyone and their mother knows how Endless Eight went down.

The problem with K-ON! is that it IS KyoAni. Bandai assumed Lucky Star would ride on Haruhi's coattails as the next big thing for Haruhiists and lost money in thinking so. What history has taught, and Zac and Justin constantly affirm, is that the moe stuff has no broad appeal. It is not, nor will it ever be the big thing stateside.

Clannad sold well because of how it was sold; no dub, 12-eps a set for 40 dollars MSRP. Minimum extras, maximum content. This is how Nozomi and Media Blasters are doing business now too and doing it well. On the flipside is Bandai's only real comparable "moe" release of the year, Hayate the Combat Butler. No dub, 7 eps a DVD, 40 dollars per DVD MSRP. A five-year-old would know this is stupid marketing.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
unappealing items like those stupid T-shirts.

I was aghast when I opened the first LS LE box, as someone with no desire or opportunity whatsoever to wear one of those. After 2 LE's, I stopped buying them and went for the regular releases in protest. This tells me they aren't trying hard enough to understand the U.S. market. The idea of releasing LE's and regular editions is a straight copy of the Japanese release methodology, in any case, and those shirts are pure Japanese otaku items.

The Gurren Lagann LE releases were fine, though. Two volumes each for 3 total made sense, and overall the cost for the series was reasonable. Same with the first season of Code Geass, but now they've decided to go single volume LE's with season 2, which doesn't make sense. Seems like greed at work, counting on customers having to complete the series.

I don't complain too much, though, because they've still been serving the collector market well.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Justin, I know Nina has an obvious influence from Oh My Goddess!'s Urd. However, was Jadress an influence from Deedlit of Lodoss War?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Limited Edition's, but for the CD singles (as well as the cute crayon covers), not the T-shirts.

I'd buy Limited Editions of K-On! for the CD's, but I kind of doubt Bandai would bother with LE's for that series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
I love these ANNCasts. They make me laugh.

I was so disappointed to find out that Viz has gone back to not subbing songs again. I thought they weren't doing that anymore because Naruto and Bleach have them. The music in Nana and Honey and Clover is so important. I'm sad that the songs apparently aren't subtitled. I'll still buy the DVDs because they're two of my favorite shows, but I'm really disappointed in Viz. Sad
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that this season is terrible. There's usually at least one extremely high quality show that you know is going to be good every season, like Ride Back in the Winter this year, Cross Game in the Spring season, and Bakemonogatari in the summer. This season, even the best show, which IMO right now is Railgun, is just ok. Lots of continuation to garbage like Queen's Blade, Asura Cryin', and Nogizaka Haruka, and Inuyasha, lots of crappy fanservice shows like Kampfer (even though I like it), Seitokai no Ichizon and Sora no Otoshimono, and other miscellaneous stuff not worth watching.

Anyway, I just recently discovered these ANNCasts and I love them. Zac and Justin aren't afraid to say whatever they want and don't really mind stating unpopular opinions if that's what they really feel, so that's good. btw, Zac isn't nearly as intimidating when he's actually talking than when he's posting on these boards. Razz
Mechamastermind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
Uh, this last month no mecha genred anime Shocked
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
frentymon, I will say that this season has its good and bad shows like any other season. Though some of the shows I am watching I will admit are rather cheesy to just plain trashy, I like watching crappy anime. With the dedication of eroge/harem/ecchi and shoujo-ai shows lately, Japanese creativity isn't where it could be at due to this damned economy.
wOrLdIsMiNe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
"This is a shit season" - besides the continuation of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
wOrLdIsMiNe wrote:
"This is a shit season" - besides the continuation of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Razz

I think the statement is intended to mean the new shows, not stuff that's ongoing. Although Umineko is mostly getting by on the WTF factor at this point. I stopped trying to make sense of it weeks ago.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
wOrLdIsMiNe wrote:

Umineko is shit... unintentionally fun shit. Much like how the continuation of Needless is intentionally fun shit.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
frentymon, I will say that this season has its good and bad shows like any other season. Though some of the shows I am watching I will admit are rather cheesy to just plain trashy, I like watching crappy anime. With the dedication of eroge/harem/ecchi and shoujo-ai shows lately, Japanese creativity isn't where it could be at due to this damned economy.

Sure, if you lower your standard of what's considered "good". The average 'bad show' this season is equally as bad as that of any other season, while the average 'good show' is not as good. Take Letter Bee for example, one of the "good shows" this season, and compare it to Tokyo Magnitude of last season - it pales in comparison. And Railgun or Darker Than Black 2 to Bakemonogatari? Nowhere near.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5