• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Surrounded by Sevakises

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quick question Zac.

How far ahead of time do you book guests for ANNCast? I ask because some of the questions you guys answer at the end of each cast sound out of place in comparison to the guest. Is it possible to let people know ahead of time who the guests are so questions can be asked that deal more with the theme of the guest? That is unless you are already posting this info, in which case I'm sorry for having missed it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Quick question Zac.

How far ahead of time do you book guests for ANNCast? I ask because some of the questions you guys answer at the end of each cast sound out of place in comparison to the guest. Is it possible to let people know ahead of time who the guests are so questions can be asked that deal more with the theme of the guest? That is unless you are already posting this info, in which case I'm sorry for having missed it.

The questions aren't intended to be thematically concrete. I generally make the announcement 1-2 days ahead of time over Twitter and in the Community forums and we usually get a good balance of questions people have for myself and Justin and then a few that are directed at the guest.

I discovered early on that taking questions related to the topics we're discussing before the Twitter question segment usually just results in rehashing stuff we'd already discussed by then.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dizzon wrote:
Quick question Zac.

The questions aren't intended to be thematically concrete. I generally make the announcement 1-2 days ahead of time over Twitter and in the Community forums and we usually get a good balance of questions people have for myself and Justin and then a few that are directed at the guest.

I discovered early on that taking questions related to the topics we're discussing before the Twitter question segment usually just results in rehashing stuff we'd already discussed by then.

Ah, I see what you are saying. I guess most people would ask the same questions you and Justin would. I am a twitter hold-out, I guess I should get on the ball. I don't know what it is, something about twitter just bugs me.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Fun podcast, very funny. I should've realized that ANNina's Robin was Justin's sister a while ago, what with Zac mentioning that Justin's sister was named Robin in previous casts, but it only dawned on me in this episode. Robin, your comic is lots of fun. Don't listen to Zac; not *every* strip needs an anime punchline for it to be relevant to the site.

I wish I knew more about art and music so I'd appreciate it more. I never so much as had an "Art Appreciation 101" class, and I can't draw a straight line, so I sadly can't always tell great art in anime/manga (or even fan art) from subpar stuff, except I know I like shows with a higher framerate and prettier designs. It's nice to know that there are basic standards in manga drawing, for example. And now that the "OEL manga" craze at Tokypop has died down, only the truly talented and capable are still producing comics. Svetlana Chmakova (author/artist of Dramacon), for example, has a great new series at Yen Press, Nightschool. This makes it harder for younguns to break in, though.

I have taken Journalism, and do appreciate journalistic integrety, and I think it's very cool that when I saw the Death Note "script," on another site my immediate thought was "ANN didn't report it, so it's probably a prank." Keep up the great work, guys! It's nice to know that there are some news sites that are trustworthy!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Don't listen to Zac; not *every* strip needs an anime punchline for it to be relevant to the site.

Well, it's a good thing I didn't suggest that at all then!
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Really great, I love this podcast. You guys have the best things to say. No one here in my city asides from 2 people, can I hear what people think about recent material.

I also think guests are interesting to have on the show. Would be neat to get people on the forums to talk too.

Great stuff keep it up ^-^ Would love to hear opinions on moe and other current trends and what not.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Justin, I know Nina has an obvious influence from Oh My Goddess!'s Urd. However, was Jadress an influence from Deedlit of Lodoss War?

I know I'm replying to this thread way too late, but I just wanted to say I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that "Ah My Goddess" was ever a major artistic influence on me. While I do admire Fujishima's character designs, it really wasn't that impactful on me. Nina was not inspired by Urd at all, and I see no similarities in the characters other than long white hair. Deedlit's character design did have some aesthetic influence on Jadress way back when I started drawing her when I was 12 or so- Lodoss War was my first intro anime style elves, and I kinda fell in love with them. :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Robin, thanks for the explanation. I got the impression Urd was inspiration for Nina because I see a similar appearance to both of them. How do you properly pronounce Jadress?
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Robin, thanks for the explanation. I got the impression Urd was inspiration for Nina because I see a similar appearance to both of them. How do you properly pronounce Jadress?

Rhymes with "address", just with a J. Some people say Jade-Dress, which also sounds kinda cool too, so I'm flexible. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Jadress said:
Quote:
Rhymes with "address", just with a J. Some people say Jade-Dress, which also sounds kinda cool too, so I'm flexible. ^^

"Lover" in my username refers to Eumaios, Odysseus' swineherd. He grew up wit Ktimene, Odysseus' obscure younger sister. She ended up marrying a prince from the Greek island of Samos. Her name, which is Latinized as Ctimene, is said (Ket-uh-MAY-NAY). However, if someone pronounces it as (StEYE-means) or (City-means), that' fine.

Nausikaa being said properly (at least, in the Latinized form) is (Gnaw-Si-KAY-uh). Mispronunciation of that is a different story for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5