• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 1.0 Ineligible for Oscar Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know why people are arguing over why an anime feature is not getting the Pixar Award this year. And nothing against that company - because its movies are that amazing-, but they could've run for the award with nothing but the recent re-release of Toy Story 1 & 2 and have exactly the same chances of netting the statuette. Even nothing but the teaser for Toy Story 3 would've sufficed.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Coraline is hands down the best animated film this year in my mind.

Coraline had a pretty rotten final act. It turned into a videogame-style fetch quest, and ultimately got pretty tiresome at the end.

It doesn't deserve Best Animated Film. The last third of that film is like watching a brand-new mid-size fuel-efficient sedan, which already was something you've seen before, blow a tire on the freeway and wind up getting towed away in the rain.

Personally, I can't wait to see Fantastic Mr. Fox, and I hope Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is nominated. It doesn't deserve more than that, but damn that was an entertaining cartoon.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:52 am Reply with quote
9 has no chance, but that doesn't mean I didn't love it.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Even if Evangelion did have a chance for eligibility, the fact that it is known to only certain people outside the otaku realm may have had a factor. I think the Academy prefers to choose films they are more aware of and feel fits their criteria. A movie starring an emo 14-year-old boy may not exactly seem like Oscar material to them.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
which would mean that only three films can be nominated this year. Ponyo, Peter Docter and Bob Peterson's Up, and Henry Selick's Coraline are among the top contenders for the Best Animated Feature award this year..

Well, no. They forgot to mention movies such as G-Force and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel which are ligate to get nominee as well. So i guess there will be five nominees this year.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
Coraline was awful. It's FAR from being a winner.

Up was amazing though, so Pixar will probably snatch it away yet again. Is Princess and the Frog going to come out in time? That along with Ponyo might leave another Pixar win slightly in doubt.
Lonecow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
Coraline was awful.

Thank you! Glad someone said it.

Up! was an excellent film but once they got to the island it didn't really do anything as amazing as the first half.

If Evangelion had started as a film series in 94, then it should have won then, but to be a near shot for shot remake of a TV show kind of holds it back from being original. I know 2.0 throws all that out the window, but 1.0 on its own doesn't do anything new.

STILL, the real issue here is that it took WAY TOO DAMN LONG for them to bring one of the most popular franchises to America in the first place. They sat on it and sat on it, and now we will never even know if it did stand a chance.

Thanks American Anime industry! And you wonder why you are failing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
I understand Eva 1.0 not being eligible for the 2009 Oscars because it was first released in 2007, but I don't understand why it wasn't put forward for the 2008 Oscars.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

Well, no. They forgot to mention movies such as G-Force and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel which are ligate to get nominee as well. So i guess there will be five nominees this year.

The Academy draws the line for live-action content at something like 25%. Both Alvin & the Chipmunks and G-Force have much too much live-action to count.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
kpk wrote:

The Academy draws the line for live-action content at something like 25%. Both Alvin & the Chipmunks and G-Force have much too much live-action to count.

The first Alvin and the Chipmunks got into the short list (and also other films like him such as Stuart Little and Scooby-Doo).
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
STILL, the real issue here is that it took WAY TOO DAMN LONG for them to bring one of the most popular franchises to America in the first place. They sat on it and sat on it, and now we will never even know if it did stand a chance.

Thanks American Anime industry! And you wonder why you are failing.

(facepalm)

Yes, never mind the insane price Japan was reportedly asking for 1.01, which meant we were lucky to get it licensed period. Or that ANNcast brought it to our attention that Japan made FUNi do a theater release, which, as they pointed out, means ever MORE money down the drain (since let's face it, there aren't enough Eva fans to justify as large a release that Eva got).

I seriously get tired of people automatically assuming that everything is the R1 industry's fault. They make mistakes, but Japan is no saint either.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Or that ANNcast brought it to our attention that Japan made FUNi do a theater release, which, as they pointed out, means ever MORE money down the drain (since let's face it, there aren't enough Eva fans to justify as large a release that Eva got).

In Canada maybe. However, when there are more US theatres playing the Eureka 7 movie than there are the Evangelion movie, something is wrong.

You cannot call (in the USA at least) FUNi's release of Eva 1.0 as "large" in terms of number of screens.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
ANN wrote:
which would mean that only three films can be nominated this year. Ponyo, Peter Docter and Bob Peterson's Up, and Henry Selick's Coraline are among the top contenders for the Best Animated Feature award this year..

According to the Academy's Special Rules for the Best Animated Feature Film Award, "a significant number of the major characters must be animated, and animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of the picture’s running time."
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
kpk wrote:

The first Alvin and the Chipmunks got into the short list (and also other films like him such as Stuart Little and Scooby-Doo).

This is all untrue.

According to Variety, the Academy ruled the first Alvin and the Chipmunks ineligible since its rules state that "animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of the picture's running time." The live-action Scooby-Doo films would not have qualified either because of the same rule.

The first live-action Stuart Little film was released in 1999. The first Oscar for Best Animated Feature was not awarded until 2001.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
Up! was an excellent film but once they got to the island it didn't really do anything as amazing as the first half.

Island?

I liked Coraline quite a lot, but Up was much better. With the new 10-nominee rule, it will likely get a best picture nomination as well. The Princess and the Frog looks as though it's going to retread everything that caused Disney's 2D line to fall out of favor. I loved Ponyo and hope it gets nominated if for no other reason than to break the depressing trend of American animation consisting of Pixar and Pixar-wannabes. I wish Sita Sings the Blues was eligible for the same reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4