• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 1.0 Ineligible for Oscar Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I have established that it is not the job of Academy to decorate with their awards the titles in which I have an interest, as a simple matter of demographics. Best of luck to the nominees I suppose- much praise continues to be written about this year's CGI productions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Could care less about Evangelion 1.0 being eligible. I just hope that Coraline steals another award away from Pixar. Nothing against Up and Pixar (I love them both dearly), but Coraline is hands down the best animated film this year in my mind.

i agree. I was highly impressed with Coraline's character designs. Since Neil Gaiman did the story I was hooked. Plus I am a big fan of stop-motion animation. I did that as an undergraduate and it was hard to do.

I never got to see Up, but I heard it was good.

I wasn't impressed with EVA. I loved the character designs. The story was very confusing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
kpk wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
kpk wrote:

Well, no. They forgot to mention movies such as G-Force and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel which are ligate to get nominee as well. So i guess there will be five nominees this year.

The Academy draws the line for live-action content at something like 25%. Both Alvin & the Chipmunks and G-Force have much too much live-action to count.

The first Alvin and the Chipmunks got into the short list (and also other films like him such as Stuart Little and Scooby-Doo).

This is all untrue.

According to Variety, the Academy ruled the first Alvin and the Chipmunks ineligible since its rules state that "animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of the picture's running time." The live-action Scooby-Doo films would not have qualified either because of the same rule.

The first live-action Stuart Little film was released in 1999. The first Oscar for Best Animated Feature was not awarded until 2001.

As i said.. He got into the *short list*:
http://www.cinematical.com/2007/11/09/academy-shortlists-12-animated-oscar-contenders/

Also is Scooby-Doo [2] and if i'm not mistaking, also Stuart Little [2]..
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah this sucks big time. I still think Eva is being passed over not because of the content but because Big Bad Disney isn't there to champion the film like they can with Ponyo. I liked Ponyo, yes I really enjoyed and think it deserves a nomination, but I want to see other films get nominated other than the American mediocrity (exceptions being UP - haven't seen but looks good and Coraline) each year. Let's get a little variety with anime. I think Eva 2.0 has already been in theaters in Japan so yet again it may lose out. Still a chance for Eva 3.0 or 4.0 maybe. I mean Crash won best picture and that opened in theaters in 2004, and won the Oscar in 2006!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, can James Cameron's Avatar be considered for a nomination?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
http://www.cinematical.com/2007/11/09/academy-shortlists-12-animated-oscar-contenders/

The initial claim was this: "They forgot to mention movies such as G-Force and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel which are ligate [sic] to get nominee as well. So i guess there will be five nominees this year." The short list is only the films that get submitted for consideration, not the ones that are actually eligible — which is the point of the article. The Academy can rule items on the short list ineligible, as was the case for the first live-action Alvin and the Chipmunks.

G-Force and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel can't get nominated if they are not eligible in the first place. What matters in determining the number of nominees is the final number of eligible films, not the number of films on the "short list."
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
kpk wrote:

The initial claim was this: "They forgot to mention movies such as G-Force and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel which are ligate [sic] to get nominee as well. So i guess there will be five nominees this year." The short list is only the films that get submitted for consideration, not the ones that are actually eligible — which is the point of the article. The Academy can rule items on the short list ineligible, as was the case for the first live-action Alvin and the Chipmunks.

G-Force and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel can't get nominated if they are not eligible in the first place. What matters in determining the number of nominees is the final number of eligible films, not the number of films on the "short list."

So to review:
Short List -> list of films deemed eligible -> list of nominees -> winner!

Correct?
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as there are now 10 nominees for Best Picture, I think Up will be exempt for Best Animated Film, which is great as this has been a dynamic year for animation and someone besides Pixar ought to get a due.

Sucks for Eva.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
UP has this in the bag and well deserved.

The only time I was upset about anime not being nominated was when Millenium Actress was out. That was an oversight... It was easily the best thing I remember being out and received plenty of critical acclaim at other fests.

Steamboy and Howl's should also been at least nominated.

animehermit wrote:
I wonder, can James Cameron's Avatar be considered for a nomination?

Heh, it does cross the line into there, but it seems the academy doesn't consider mo-cap/performance cap to be 'animation'. Pixar was all ticked off about considering mo-capped movies in the animation category too. It was why Beowulf wasn't considered.

Blood- wrote:
I understand Eva 1.0 not being eligible for the 2009 Oscars because it was first released in 2007, but I don't understand why it wasn't put forward for the 2008 Oscars.

Probably because nobody bothered to submit it... And they'd have been right to anyway. Eva 1.0 doesn't stand a chance. It's basically a remake of the first 6 episodes of the TV series and as a stand alone movie isn't satisfying at all unless you're a fan and are aware that there'll be another 3 movies coming. Eva 1.0 doesn't tie up any loose ends, doesn't really explain or even satisfyingly set up what's really going on. It's essentially like an intro TV episode that only makes you curious to see what's happening next week. In this case it's another year's wait, and it's not exactly being marketed to anyone stateside outside of the fanbase.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Steamboy and Howl's should also been at least nominated.

Umm... Howl's Moving Castle was one of the three Best Animated Feature nominees for 2005, along with The Corpse Bride and, the winner, Wallace and Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
That's sucks about Eva 1.0, we all know Anno deserves something...Some type of recognition. It would have been nice if this was his time, Guess next film? Or the next...or the next... Razz . As for Ponyo I really hope it doesn't win. Sorry but nothing Ghibli has ever done has really caught my eye. Their films are nothing special. ( I am not a fan of that studio obviously lol) Not worthy of an Oscar that's for sure...

And if Coraline doesn't win this year, then there is something really wrong with this world. It's an amazing film, very well written, and I liked the way everything looked. It has become one of my all time favorite movies, animated or otherise. Plus it was rather creepy at times. And it's just so cool. Come on now...
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:

And if Coraline doesn't win this year, then there is something really wrong with this world. It's an amazing film, very well written, and I liked the way everything looked. It has become one of my all time favorite movies, animated or otherise. Plus it was rather creepy at times. And it's just so cool. Come on now...

Coraline has two things going against it.

The first, Up, shouldn't be a problem. Pixar's overdue for that coveted Best Picture nominee. It's almost destiny it will bypass Best Animated Picture and go straight for the golden cajones.

The second, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, may actually be better than Coraline.

Miyazaki will get nommed, but won't win.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
kpk wrote:

You don't know the Oscar rules at all aren't you? If there are at least 16 movies on the short list so that mean that there will be five nominees. It doesn't matter if they are disqualified later on.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
You don't know the Oscar rules at all aren't you? If there are at least 16 movies on the short list so that mean that there will be five nominees. It doesn't matter if they are disqualified later on.

According to the Academy rules, it does matters. "In any year in which 16 or more animated features are submitted and accepted in the category, a maximum of 5 motion pictures may be nominated."

The reason that this is important is that some films are submitted for the short list before they are screened to be accepted or disqualified in the category. Take the Alvin and the Chipmunks example which caused your initial confusion. It was submitted for the short list that was made public in November 2007 — but it did not open in theaters until December 2007. That was why it was ruled ineligible a month after the short list was made public; the Animated Feature Film Award Screening Committee didn't get a chance to see it beforehand.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
kpk wrote:

According to the Academy rules, it does matters. "In any year in which 16 or more animated features are submitted and accepted in the category, a maximum of 5 motion pictures may be nominated."

The reason that this is important is that some films are submitted for the short list before they are screened to be accepted or disqualified in the category. Take the Alvin and the Chipmunks example which caused your initial confusion. It was submitted for the short list that was made public in November 2007 — but it did not open in theaters until December 2007. That was why it was ruled ineligible a month after the short list was made public; the Animated Feature Film Award Screening Committee didn't get a chance to see it beforehand.

O.K. you're right.

Oh, and i'm sorry that my comment sound so aggressive. Didn't meant it to sound like that..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4