• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Firm Offers to Turn Company Manuals into Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksharingan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
Wow, you'd have to be pretty dumb, unless you're operating a big complex machine and your life depended on doing it right, then a manga may be useful.....wait? I dunno what I'm talking about.

Good point: Easy to underatand
Bad point: You might possibally be stupid.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
Stupid or not, if done well, a person could learn easier from this if they're visual learners.

And I guess this provides more jobs for manga artists who need work...
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
An easy and entertaining way to read a manual for those people [like me] who gets bored to death after 10 seconds reading anything composed of text only.
For heavy machines handling manuals this is definitely good news, since I've read one before and couldn't get through page 1.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
This is cool. I used to work as a technical writer back in the day when computer equipment and software came with printed manuals. A lot of the "get started quickly" inserts that are common now could be done this way.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
So, is the manga equivalent of "Company Manuals For Dummies" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Company Manuals"? Interesting concept nonetheless. I believe I still have my company manual for Home Depot. I wish they had a manga adaptation of that.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Good point: Easy to underatand
Bad point: You might possibally be stupid.

It's not a great idea to make an elementary spelling mistake (well, two actually but I'm guessing the first one was a typo) in the very post in which you accuse other people of being too stupid to understand prose.
PMDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
I dunno.

I've already seen a number of very technical product manuals come from Japan which use manga-like characters to illustrate certain steps.

It usually results in confusion about what the HECK the character is trying to demonstrate, which is not helped by often shaky translations.

I'm used to manga. Illustrations don't bother me, but most of the time they don't help too much and for other non-manga-savvy users trying to deal with the manuals, they become a distraction from learning.

Yes of course this sort of full manga manual is unlikely to become a standard for export so no need to worry. I know that.

On the flip side, IKEA started redoing all their product instructions to eliminate the use of words. 100 percent illustrations are now the norm because no words means they don't have to pay for writing it out or pay for translations into a hundred languages and printing that many different versions. One universal illustration manual does it all.

In theory.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder how they determine which companies get manga manuals. If they did this for how to be animator at some major American animation studio, I think that would go well for moderator Cloe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1