• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiddy Girl-and (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Tauris wrote:
And Dia, why is she even there...?

For pedo-riffic girl-on-girl fanservice.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
It's probably a little late to actually mention episode 12, but I really liked it. Just watched it today, since it's my first off day for the past 3 weeks, and I decided to catch up to everything I left behind for Monster, Ef, Speed Grapher(hilarious opening), and Saint Seiya(yep, the 1986 one); haven't finished them, but it's always nice to take a break.(but I failed; still have way too many left)

Either way, episode 12 really reminded me of why season one was good, and that reason clearly was Eclair. Her new design seems better, since it does remind me of my favorite female characters, though the old one felt more, mm, somewhat alive and cheerful(which really resonated well with her personality). I don't know exactly what this season aims for, but I truly hope to see Eclair and her partner back and on track, fighting the galaxy's villains. Though that might not happen.
Tauris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
So they revealed something interesting in episode 13. spoiler[ Eclipse is Q's mother and she died after childbirth.] But besides that realivayion this was really just another useless, crap episode.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
Tauris wrote:
So they revealed something interesting in episode 13. spoiler[ Eclipse is Q's mother and she died after childbirth.] But besides that realivayion this was really just another useless, crap episode.

Um, unless I missed something big, that isn't revealed in episode 13 (the one about the all-female resort planet). It is more likely from episode 14 or 15, both of which should be out in Japan but neither of which was available on fansubs as of last night. Please double-check your episode numbers when posting major spoilers like this.

That being said, if this is true, it is a very interesting detail connecting the two series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Dear Kiddy Girl -and,

Please get better.

Yours,

Dirkusbirkus

(No, seriously. What did episode 14 accomplish? Even in terms of padding out backstory it seemed flimsy and lightweight, and instantly forgettable. spoiler[She forgot, thought about it a bit, then remembered. Am I missing something, or was it really as simple as that???])

This needs to improve, and fast. I assume it's 24 episodes, so there's ten left to get its act together. Oddly enough, rather than tarnishing my opinion of Kiddy Grade, it's serving as a reminder what a good series I found the original to be.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Tauris wrote:

Um, unless I missed something big, that isn't revealed in episode 13 (the one about the all-female resort planet).

It was episode 14. spoiler[Eclipse clearly did not literally "give birth" to Q-feuille since she appeared fully grown 7 years ago, but it presumably relates to to same powers she uses to encode Éclair and Lumière's new bodies.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tauris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Key wrote:
Tauris wrote:

Um, unless I missed something big, that isn't revealed in episode 13 (the one about the all-female resort planet).

It was episode 14. spoiler[Eclipse clearly did not literally "give birth" to Q-feuille since she appeared fully grown 7 years ago, but it presumably relates to to same powers she uses to encode Éclair and Lumière's new bodies.]

If spoiler[Eclispe is dead.] Does that mean ES member can no longer live forever?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Tauris wrote:
If spoiler[Eclispe is dead.] Does that mean ES member can no longer live forever?

As I understand it, it means spoiler[They are still functionally immortal since they do not age, but if they are killed they cannot be resurrected unless there is some way to duplicate Eclipse's powers mechanically (in which case Trixie and Troisienne would have been revived - unless they actually have been and we just haven't been informed yet) or Eclipse herself is not really dead.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Tauris wrote:

As I understand it, it means spoiler[They are still functionally immortal since they do not age, but if they are killed they cannot be resurrected unless there is some way to duplicate Eclipse's powers mechanically (in which case Trixie and Troisienne would have been revived - unless they actually have been and we just haven't been informed yet) or Eclipse herself is not really dead.]

i don't think they would make such a fuss out of it if they would just get revived, as that would deminish the value of about 2-3 episodes from something to nothing. and they were also very emotionall about spoiler[an-ou(?) and tweedle'dum almost getting killed] etc.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Caught up with episodes 13 and 14. The beach vacation episode was painful to watch. Even for just being an excuse to put the girls in bikinis, the plot was unbearably stupid.

The Dreaming Void wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

i don't think they would make such a fuss out of it if they would just get revived, as that would deminish the value of about 2-3 episodes from something to nothing.

The build up was pretty weak anyway; I didn't get any emotional impact from it. It's not like they were given any real personality. spoiler[And they could be faking the fuss about their deaths even after they've been revived as intentional misdirection for their enemies. They did it in Kiddy Grade with Eclair and Lumiere, remember?]
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
[...]

The Dreaming Void wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

i don't think they would make such a fuss out of it if they would just get revived, as that would deminish the value of about 2-3 episodes from something to nothing.

The build up was pretty weak anyway; I didn't get any emotional impact from it. It's not like they were given any real personality. spoiler[And they could be faking the fuss about their deaths even after they've been revived as intentional misdirection for their enemies. They did it in Kiddy Grade with Eclair and Lumiere, remember?]

True, but spoiler[when eclair and lumier died it was more or less predictable that they would get revived (or at least something like that), as without them deucalion would probably never been destroyed. Also, they were the main characters, and also the strongest ES-members, so it was a given that they would return. though i'd have to admit when i say it happen i thought they were dead for good xD, also, for reviving you would need the body, but trixie and troisienne were buried...]
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
For all the complaining I have done about not keeping the thread up to date as the episodes come out, I have certainly not been adding my $0.02 worth for the past three episodes.

Episode 12 was nice in that you find out spoiler[ our intrepid heroines of the prior series froze a planet to keep it from exploding and destroying the universe. That gives me hope that maybe our current heroines will have to take care of that planet in due course, and maybe unfreeze Eclair and Lumiere. I say that because it my gut tells me that maybe Gachter (sp?) and company could be interested in using that planet to their own ends. And meeting Eclair's son? Hmm. I need to dwell on that some more.]

In Episode thirteen, yes, you have the whole girls-only on the vacation planet thing. If that's not obvious fan pandering, again in this series, I don't know what is. I liked how Que-feuille and Ascouer used their new, improved powers when the situation demanded it, but that was, what, 20 seconds out of the whole episode.

Finally we have Episode fourteen. spoiler[An origin story of how Que-feuile and Ascouer met.] Not a bad episode but it did not sway my heart overly much either. spoiler[So Ascouer showed up at the planet she was found at in an escape capsule? I would very much like to hear of her past before that time.]

I'll keep watching this show, if nothing else, to see how things play out.
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
just watched episode 15, and it was a real ordeal to watch through the first half. but with the second half they seem to be getting back on track with suddenly spoiler[ascouer being revealed as the little sister of ge'ackter]. the chance has increased again that this anime will get some value (again)!
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Please take everything I say from this point out with a large pinch of salt. My expectations of this series have reached such a low point that I'm probably watching every new release in the wrong frame of mind to be receptive to it. HOWEVER:

To use a horrible analogy, this episode was like squeezing a pimple. It was really, horribly painful to start with, and you press on, hoping that the pay-off arrives soon... Then the burst, and everything comes gushing out at once.

Ok, enough with the pointless, derogatory analogies. The first half of the episode was a complete waste of everyone's time, spoiler[probably pandered to the yuri fanbois/fangirls with the Ascouer/Q-Feuille kisses. ]But man, what the hell? Cue another clunky plot device to explain what was going on (this series has a knack for these, it seems). I must admit to laughing out loud at spoiler[the Harry Potter dream Shade planted in her mind (The last one in the montage, Quidditch time).]

Then, second half and BAM, let's progress the main arc at warp speed. I got pacing whiplash, guys. I like that we're FINALLY getting to the meat of it all but it just puts what we've seen so far in 1-14 into stark context.

Nine episodes left to tie it all together.
Tauris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote
Well look at that, a episode that wasn't completely crap and gave us some much needed backstory.

If I had known the episode was going to be like this I would have just skipped the first halk and just watch the second. You wouldn't miss a THING by skipping the first half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6