• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Fresh Blood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the column Erin, you've done a fine job indeed! I'll be looking forward to more reviews Wink
ooga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Nice first column Erin. I rather enjoyed Bamboo's rants and sense of humor. I am hoping your writing style is just as entertaining.

I've been meaning to submit pictures of my shelves for years now, maybe I'll get off my butt at some point in the near future and make it happen.

As far as the shelf-obsessed entry this month, I have two works: "Boob Overload". I love it! I am going to have to live vicariously through Michael because there is no way my wife will let me have that many booby figures in my collection.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The crew of the Black Lagoon have given up their nationalities to operate a semi-legitimate delivery service, a lot like the crew of Firefly.
Nitpick: the show is Firefly, the ship is Serenity. Could be intentional, but here you seem to be talking about Black Lagoon the ship, not the show.
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
My first impression of Erin's debut is impacted rather negatively by the fact that she consistently spelled the lead female's name wrong in the Kaze no Stigma review. The character's name is "Ayano" not "Ayane". Hopefully her next column won't have such mistakes.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
ps (assuming your reading the forums) which Satoshi Kon work is your favorite?

1. Paprika
2. Paranoia Agent
3. Millennium Actress
4. Tokyo Godfathers
5. Perfect Blue

I also like the Magnetic Rose short, but he didn't direct it, so I'm not sure it counts.

I got an autograph last time Kon was in New York!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Erin, I'm counting on you to review your namesake's anime Wink

Heheheh, I did watch at least one episode because my name is in the title.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
By Golgo, do you mean the recent show, or the Dezaki stuff?

I haven't seen Queen Bee yet, but I like the first movie, and I also like the recent shows. I've collected some of the manga but not read too much of it yet. I also bought a set of the blind box toys.
kurichan69

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
My first impression of Erin's debut is impacted rather negatively by the fact that she consistently spelled the lead female's name wrong in the Kaze no Stigma review. The character's name is "Ayano" not "Ayane". Hopefully her next column won't have such mistakes.

You beat me to it! This is exactly what I was going to write.

Welcome to ANN, Erin, mistakes and all! Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Welcome to community Erin. You got big shoes to fill but you are well on your way by appreciating Black Lagoon lol. I must say I hadn't really compared it to modern events, or locations, and how many situations do seem to parallel them. I'll have to re-watch Black Lagoon (again for the 5th time) to see if I can spot more. As for Kaze....yeaaa. This would explain why I can never watch episodes of it during the day and I only seem to be able to at night on the nice comfy couch I have so I can just fall asleep.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

1. Paprika
2. Paranoia Agent
3. Millennium Actress
4. Tokyo Godfathers
5. Perfect Blue

well you got my hopes up when you said Satoshi Kon, but how did i know you'd put Paprika first.. Paranoia Agent is much better, and I think Perfect Blue might be my favorite work from him (and uh.. n-not just for the rape scenes <.<!).

anyways, the only thing you had to say about your taste is that you've watched and liked The Wire. and the fact that you gave me an anime thats similar to it is awesome. Black Lagoon just became the next anime I watch
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
When I read reviews, I want to know if I have the same taste as the reviewer or not. So, for your information, my favorite anime titles are Hayao Miyazaki's films, anything by Satoshi Kon, Shinichiro Watanabe's works, and the finer stuff from Gainax; His and Her Circumstances, Evangelion, and Gurren Lagann. I love Genshiken, Ghost in the Shell, NANA, Golgo 13, and Princess Tutu.

Coolness. That list comprises stuff I've either seen and immensely enjoyed or am really looking forward to watching when I get to it. To paraphrase classic Bogey...Looks like the beginning of a beautiful...uh acquaintanceship...or readership...or something. Based on our semi-similar tastes, I look forward to your future suggestions with great interest.

Quote:
It's hard to compare School Rumble to other shows; It's like Ranma ½ but lacks martial arts...

Not to mention that Rumble is most emphatically Not a one-joke show ("Just add water and watch the hilarity ensue!") when you take away the romantic polygon. But, having been a Ranma-phile in a previous life, I understand and appreciate the analogy. Especially since Rumble definitively writes the current book on romantic comedy.

All in all, a most auspicious debut on ANN. Welcome aboard, good luck and continued success. (Also, congrats on tying the knot...with such cool nuptial proceedings too!) Shelf Life will continue to be my Monday morning highlight for some time to come, thanks to you. I know we'll "get along" just fine...

Quote:
...although I think Tenma's voice is just a liiiiiittle bit more annoying in English.

Hatin' on my girl Luci Christian notwithstanding.

Laughing Just kidding! (Maybe a little half-caffeinated java wouldn't have hurt...half because Luci was trying to match the original seiyuu's manic energy after all, IMHO.)
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
well you got my hopes up when you said Satoshi Kon, but how did i know you'd put Paprika first.. Paranoia Agent is much better

I love them both, but I've re-watched Paprika more times, and more recently. The ending of Paranoia Agent reminded me a little of MTV's The Maxx, which hardly anyone remembers, but now it's all online here:

http://www.mtv.com/shows/the_maxx/video.jhtml

Now I'll have to re-watch it!
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I like this first column by Erin. She has very similar tastes as mine, which is a plus. Not to mention, she has a really nice writing style.

Welcome to ANN, Erin!

Last edited by joelgundam00 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Did you blog the experience somewhere?

Yes, although it looks like I never did an entry on what it was actually like:

http://zerogravitywedding.com/
Ralifar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Your reviews seemed to be well thought out and nicely done. I was beginning to think you were going to be a bit too dry for me until you made your "Leeroy Jenkins" reference.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on your Kaze No Stigma review. For the most part, I agree with your review on Black Lagoon, but I felt you played the realism and pertinence to present situations a little too hard. School Rumble I can't comment on as I haven't watched it yet.

Welcome to the column. I look forward to reading future reviews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6