• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Meiya Mitsurugi Figma

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a good addition to put the links to places where one can buy the figure if it's good.
Rednal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
*Scratches head*

I read some scanlations of the series once... the science-fiction part. The translators explained what was going on; something to the effect of Muv Luv being a fairly typical eroge until you beat it, at which point you'd get to leap into an alternate, apocalyptic world with a completely different story. ^^ It was fun to read, actually; it had a twist of the sort that such games don't have very often.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Ouch on those prices! This is why I only buy from places like HLJ or Hobby Search where you can get the same figures direct from Japan for less after shipping than you can at domestic dealers before shipping. If you can save yourself around $10 a figure then you can buy more figures. Anime smile

On a side note: Damn you Max Factory for releasing three figma figures I want at the same time this month (Persona 3 Aigis, and Fate/stay night "casual" Saber and Shirou. My wallet hates you, but I can't wait to have these in hand!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, the Muv Luv series, an epic adventure of sci-fi and muvs and— oh, I can't even pretend I know what the hell this series is about. I've read the Wikipedia page for this PC adventure game series, and I just get more confused each time.
Don't worry, that's not unusual. In a nutshell:
spoiler[The three 'timelines' of Muv-Luv are linked, many-worlds-interpretation style. Yes, this game requires a little background in macroscale quantum theory to understand. Get used to it. The dense military jargon too.
Muv-Luv Extra, the first game, is a deliberately cliche school comedy, with lots of allusions to giant robots and some VERY odd hapenings.
Muv-Luv Unlimited has the protagonist waking up in an 'alternate' world where the BETA, a bioengineered race of resource collectors (think Von-Neumann machines but with teeth and highly effective laser batteries), have taken over the solar system and most of the surface of the Earth, and eventually ends up drafted into the military. The game ends without any real direct confrontation with the BETA themselves, and humanity sends a few people out on shuttles to a possible other habitable system, with the rest of mankind, protagonist included, staying behind to nuke themselves.
In Muv-Luv Alternative, the protagonist wakes up at the same point he did in Unlimited,except with full knowledge of mankind's eventual demise, and a determination not to let it happen. At first, things go well, working out better than in Unlimited. But soon, things begin to get worse, MUCH worse (trivia: a patch was released for Alternative, an adult rated game, to remove some of the gore. It was disturbing people a little too much to see their teammates munched on). The protagonist starts jumping between universes, explaining some of the odd happenings from Extra and Alternative. I'll try not to spoil the ending too much, but I'll say this: you don't get to make the normal Big Heroic
Sacrifice and save the world.]

Hopefully, the profits from the Figma sales, Total-Eclipse (and it's associated toys) and the like, will go towards the fabled Muv-Luv Alternative Anime. Because it's pretty much the only chance it'll get translated outside of the questionable manga adaptation.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I can get my Figmas to strike cool poses on my shelves without the stands... without falling down.
Elves

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Has Krauser met his match? A match made in heaven? Uh...so to speak. Meiya and Krauser are actually proportional to each other. That seems rare and it blows my mind for some reason. Confused lol
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Ouch on those prices! This is why I only buy from places like HLJ or Hobby Search where you can get the same figures direct from Japan for less after shipping than you can at domestic dealers before shipping. If you can save yourself around $10 a figure then you can buy more figures. Anime smile

On a side note: Damn you Max Factory for releasing three figma figures I want at the same time this month (Persona 3 Aigis, and Fate/stay night "casual" Saber and Shirou. My wallet hates you, but I can't wait to have these in hand!

Emerje

And my wallet and bank account hate you Emerje for constantly posting links to figures I feel compelled to buy though I don't need them. Damn you to hell!!! (goes to order the Saber figure) Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

As for this Meiya figure....it's purty. I have to say I prefer my figures to have a bit more detail as opposed to articulation. I mean sure I want them to have articulation but I'm of the opinion a little less to give more detail is a worthwhile trade. I know jack diddly about the series but the figure looks spiffy enough I might just get one. So a big damn you too to you Rob! My wallet hates you now too. *cries as he looks to order the Meiya figure*
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
For some reason I can get my Figmas to strike cool poses on my shelves without the stands... without falling down.

Yep, it's called "using the hair as a stand".

I jest, of course, but there are ways to do it. I own the Shana figure from the figma line, and I use the sword to keep her overweight head from tipping itself over.

I made the mistake of trying to get her to stand up, and as she fell over, I grabbed too quickly, bending the sword. One hit, and it's going to snap at the hilt.

Luckily, I just found a replacement since this Meiya figure appears to be holding the same one.

I shall not be buying another figma figure any time soon. While I think the articulation is nice, the joints aren't. They're flimsy, and I've already popped off a few limbs unintentionally.
which set up some fun at playing Dr. Frankentstein

I'm guessing, like with all figures, the figma line will go through some enhancements to fix the issues fans object to, so maybe at the tail end of 2010, I'll purchase another to see how much has changed.

Meiya's okay, but something's lacking compared to other figma figures. It looks... plain, and the articulation of the hair is... weird.
I'm betting "Flex-e-hair"® will be coming out, so that otaku can pose to their heart's content.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the Muv Luv series, an epic adventure of sci-fi and muvs and— oh, I can't even pretend I know what the hell this series is about. I've read the Wikipedia page for this PC adventure game series, and I just get more confused each time.
Don't worry, that's not unusual. In a nutshell:
(lots of plot)
Hopefully, the profits from the Figma sales, Total-Eclipse (and it's associated toys) and the like, will go towards the fabled Muv-Luv Alternative Anime. Because it's pretty much the only chance it'll get translated outside of the questionable manga adaptation.

That... sounds really neat! Give it a bleached panties anime adaptation, and that could be awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1