• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Anime Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobdesu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
I think Adult Swim doesn't really need to worry about the FMA movie for awhile. They're only on episode 12 or 13 now and the series is 51 in total. I think they have some leeway about getting ahold of it.

From what I've seen of the trailer, it looks like the movie's not gonna finish off the series anyway, so my feelings about it being shown or not aren't particularly strong.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:42 am Reply with quote
Hmm...Naruto...The way I see it, Inuyasha is the most similiar to Naruto on AS. Naruto couldn't possibly go Toonami...if it did, it would be butchered...horribly. Naruto is hard TV-PG or TV-14 in certain episodes. After seeing them air CC/Detective Conan, I'm sure AS could air something like Naruto.

The FMA movie...they say no current plans. Of course they'll be picking up the movie; they only say this because it hasn't been licensed, same with Naruto.

Big O was obvious, as was Outlaw Star. I'm glad to see CC go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bulghod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote
Hey i'm just curious to see what they're going to do with Paranoia Agent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
I'm glad to see CC go.

Go where? It's actually going to be coming back to the lineup at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:40 am Reply with quote
Bobdesu wrote:
Should Naruto make it to Toonami, I suspect that whatever dubbing company gets their grubby hands on it will anally violate it with a rake. Although I have to admit, Toonami picking it up would be better than say Fox.

"dubbing company" is such a broad and close-minded term Rolling Eyes
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
No more Big O is good news (yes, this is coming from a rather big fan of the show, too). The show's reached a definitive conclusion, any more would ruin it.

If you think Big O came to a "definitive conclusion" can you explain it to me, please. I TOTALLY didn't understand it. I thought I understood it once, but then thought about it more and decided I didn't understand it at all?

For instance, what was with the symbolism of the tomato? Or the bald headed boys in the fire? Or the factory producing Roger Smith androids? Okay, I got that the city was called Paradigm (meaning a preconceived notion), so from the very beginning the theme of the show was that things aren't what they are believed to be. But WHAT was everything really? Am I to believe that EVERYONE in the city was really an android, and therefore the cataclysm from 40 years ago was a massive memory wipe and reboot?

To me, it just seemed like the ending of the Matrix Trilogy. People awaken from the elaborately created dream and then the program has to begin anew. There's gotta be more to it than that!
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:31 am Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:

As for Conan, I just hope this won't effect Funi's dubbing it in the long run, I'm a fan of the show and I hope to continue seeing DVD releases in the future, but I figured this was coming anyway, I'd almost bet that a big part of the ratings was due to an unstable timeslot early on, either that or no one is interested in a kid solving mysteries...

A little tip: Viz's Manga treatment of Case Closed has a huge "kid" fanbase.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:56 am Reply with quote
Bobdesu wrote:
Should Naruto make it to Toonami, I suspect that whatever dubbing company gets their grubby hands on it will anally violate it with a rake. Although I have to admit, Toonami picking it up would be better than say Fox.

If Naruto was ever in Toonami, it would be similar to DBZ in action, but all the good stuff (nearly all the action) would be harvested out of the series. Anime cry
UberTai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:56 am Reply with quote
Did I miss something here? Is Naruto even licensed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
Did I miss something here? Is Naruto even licensed?

Nope.

Which is a good reason why Cartoon Network wouldn't be considering it *yet*. Because as long as its unlicensed there's very little for them to consider...

Or rather, too much to consider....

-t
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
No more Big O is good news (yes, this is coming from a rather big fan of the show, too). The show's reached a definitive conclusion, any more would ruin it.

If you think Big O came to a "definitive conclusion" can you explain it to me, please. I TOTALLY didn't understand it. I thought I understood it once, but then thought about it more and decided I didn't understand it at all?

Well, I at least felt that there was a conclusion. What that conclusion was is still beyond my comprehension. (Gainax, eat your heart out) Although, seeing paradigm's definition, I may have gotten an idea.

No Nautro, that's too bad. No extra FMA, that's too bad. No Robotech, WHAT?! Since when were they planning on getting Robotech. It's 20-some friggin years old. (Not that I mind or anything)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
The clarification mentions Robotech. What does that have to do with anything? I don't see it in the main article.

CN ran Robotech in the overnight Toonami years ago (at like 3:00 AM) and didn't manage to acquire all the episodes, bailing out 5 episodes before the end of the second major story arc, and not showing the third at all.

Maybe there's nostalgia value in Robotech, but it's kind of old news, and by its nature it's an edited-for-kids show, so why would it be on Adult Swim? If AS is going to show an old/vintage/classic show, I'd love to see something different, like Star Blazers, or something yet un-dubbed, like Rose of Versailles or Galaxy Express 999. And I'd still be surprised if any older show could pull good enough ratings to stay afloat.

-invalidname
Nionel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Maybe there's nostalgia value in Robotech, but it's kind of old news, and by its nature it's an edited-for-kids show, so why would it be on Adult Swim?

The only way Robotech would be on AS, is if they wanted to aquire the rights to the extended DVDs that were released, I know those DVDs are remasted and supposed to have extra footage that had to have been cut out of the original TV broadcasts, but it doesn't matter, last I knew Robotech was on TAN on Demand, not sure if it's on their regular channel...

As far as the FMA Movies goes, it hasn't been licenced, and why would AS be interested in it right now anyway? Has it even been released in Japanese Theatres yet? I'd say we don't have to worry about that for a while anyway, seeing as how the movie takes place after the series, AS shouldn't even air it until after they've aired all 51 epis of FMA, anyway
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is far more important to the anime community, love it or hate it. When Naruto gets released here in the US, it will be real interesting to see if a new generation of fans will love it, or will the series will be ruined be the Gigantor sized army of fansubbees where many will surely dissect the translation and voice acting to death no matter which liscensing company gets it...

And if CN obtains Naruto, they will have my support (I dont give a care what they call the ninja techniques)
skettlre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
im glad naruto will be shown on adult swim, im a naruto fan myself, but its got a long run. too bad they decided to stop conan but its got like 400+eps already and like 6 movies, its way too long.inuyasha movie is going to be interesting shown on tv. and as far as i know fma movie hasn't come out yet has it? i think it might be a final ending for the series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7