• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Henry Goto, President, Aniplex of America

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Donpablo wrote:
I agree with you Tuor, the responses given were very stiff and orchestrated to me. The response he gave about the Garden of Sinners price solidified that. I won't argue that their set's do come with a lot of extra's that the other US licensors don't put out. But they do this at a absurd cost (again mainly directed to their GoS set).

They have gotten a little better with pricing seeing the Bakemono will cost $150 which is something I can swallow a bit more. But with NISA putting out sets comparable to the ones AoA puts out at half the cost... I can't help but shake my head at their pricing.

That is a good sign, but that's still way too high for most Americans. They just dont have to sell very much (relatively) to be successful. This is why the Limited Edition of Madoka sold better than the regular. The Regular (right now) is 50 dollars for like 3 episodes. The Limited (which is still on sale..so much for limited) is like 70 at the cheapest I've found NEW and it comes with a CD as well. Both prices are pretty insane for 3-4 episodes but their target audience is clearly people who have more money and of course they'd rather get the version that comes with a CD for a slightly higher price.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Tuor_of_Gondolin - having 5 people in their operation is very believable. Remember, they are a wholly-owned subsidiary of Aniplex and their only function is to release a handful of cherry-picked Aniplex titles each year. Not only that, but they only sell through a few online retailers so they don't need a big sales/marketing/advertising department. All their physical production (i.e. actually putting the box sets together) would be contracted out - you don't need inhouse capability for that stuff. In this day and age, having a low overhead is critical to being profitable in the anime distribution business.

Then it *is* as if they were merely middlemen for the whole process: middlemen between Aniplex of Japan and some retailers here in the US. In effect, they're AoJ's extension in the US whose purpose is to maximize profits in any way possible, regardless of the effect it might have on the R1 anime industry as a whole. That's my impression, anyway. But I think that's all I'll say about it. I don't want to start another re-hash of this subject. Everyone has already stated their positions on that matter, after all: if you want to pay those prices, do it, and if not, then don't.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
If someone from Aniplex of America is reading this, I just want to thank them for bringing shows like Bakemonogatari, Madoka Magica and Durarara!! They are some of the priciest anime I have bought, but every penny was worth it because they are great series.

Not all anime is worth the same: some are great and some are crap. With that in mind, I do wonder how are you going to sell that pile of inconsistency that it is Sword Art Online. It might be a hit in Japan, but in North America some of us have higher standards, and SAO is not worth even $100 to me.

Regardless, I wish for the continuing success of Aniplex of America. And as long as you keep bringing well made anime, you will have a loyal consumer on me.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'm currently holding out hope for from Aniplex is a domestic Blu-Ray release of Kamichu!, one of the most gorgeous-looking anime TV series of the naughts, but the old Geneon DVDs have distracting artifacting when I watch it on my 720p television.

I'd just import the Japanese Blu-Rays but I don't think they have subtitles and, in any event, I don't currently have $400 to plunk down on the set (re: the cost of the set plus shipping and whatever taxes and import handling fees I'd be charged by Canada Post).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The only thing I'm currently holding out hope for from Aniplex is a domestic Blu-Ray release of Kamichu!, one of the most gorgeous-looking anime TV series of the naughts, but the old Geneon DVDs have distracting artifacting when I watch it on my 720p television.

That's a shame - I'm watching Kamichu! (I bought the Shrine Box used last year) on my 1080p plasma and the picture quality is great. But yeah, it's definitely a title that would be wonderful to have on BD.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about their ideal of "highest video quality" ...it's no different than other releases...and for sure, their sub-only Blue Exorcist DVDs quality were crap....so I don't know if they don't know this or they're just trying to pull my leg.

As for the "premium packaging" ...Durarara was weak and flimsy compared to stuff I get from, let's say, Sentai Filmworks... I just perfer DVD cases that are sturdy, none of that coverart that can easily get destroyed just by accidentally sitting on it....
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
One of the coolest recent releases was XSeed's release of the Last Story, it had a really cool box that the game came in, and a small art book all for 50 dollars.

That wouldnt have mattered if the game was crap. The people who made Last Story special wasnt XSeed it was Mistwalker which did a great job making the game look great. You can polish something all you want but it doesnt matter if the anime is crap.

I bought all of FMA Brotherhood (not counting the movie or OVAs) for about 150 dollars at the end of the day I didn't need an FMA artbook that has character designs in it, I dont need a booklet that tells me who these people are, I simply need quality anime. Thats why I buy anime from Funimation, they are cheap, and I get exactly what I want which is the show itself.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts on AoA releases:

--The individual Blue Exorcist DVD's were reasonably priced but sub-only. I bought them, since I really liked the show, and (at the time) thought that was the only way I was going to get the show. I'm a little miffed now that I hear there is a dub and a probable re-release with the dub. It will be a difficult decision to double dip at this point. My criteria would be blu-ray, hybrid and a nice box. (---I always thought that this show was a perfect fit for Adult Swim. Now I'm wondering if that will ever happen. I can't shake the suspicion that Funimation has some sort of exclusive deal with AS going forward, and the only "new" stuff we are going to see on AS will be shows licensed by Funimation.)

--The Durarara! blu-ray box is very nice. Too bad I already bought the three DVD sets via pre-order and they almost cost the same as what the new set is going for. At this point, I'm not planning to double dip, though I am really wishing that I had waited. Extreme buyers remorse here. Not buying the "lunchbox" at this point almost out of protest. (Though I probably will end up getting it since I love the show) *sigh*.

--I have a feeling that the PMMM LE's are selling above the standard edition because they are being bought by resellers. Once they go out-of-print, the un-opened sets can be sold for double (at least). I consider doing this myself, on occasion, but I just can't make myself be that predatory. Besides, I buy anime because I love anime, and not to take advantage of fellow fans (no matter how rude they can be on the internet). Sad

--I bought the first pressing Baccano! blu-ray box set. The price on that set was reasonable, IMO. Very happy. No remorse whatsoever on this purchase.

The high ticket items like the Garden of Sinners LE blu-ray and the Fate/Zero LE's are beyond what I am willing to spend. I would have to really, really love the show to pay those kinds of prices. In the case of Garden of Sinners, I haven't had the chance to see the show in order to judge whether I love it or not. I don't download or watch illegal streams, and the Garden of Sinners has never been available legally for me to check it out. Funny thing is, all the LE sales for the blu-ray was done due to illegal streams/downloads. (Makes me wonder how much objection there really is when it comes to piracy. LOL.) I get the feeling that AoE assigns top-tier pricing to shows that attract specific, hard-core fans. In this case, Type Moon fans. As long as those fans keep buying them, that is the way they are going to be priced. In that way, AoA is kind of like the re-sellers I was mentioning above. I can see why they do it, and can't really blame them for doing it, but I don't really want to see it become a standard practice in the industry.

--my apologies for the wall of text.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
If only there were a way to get Garden Of Sinners on BD for a reasonable price (sure, it is a superb anime, but not $800 superb). The price of the DVD edition would be right for a (lesser/no-frills) BD edition.

The BD set some European countries are getting (specifically Germany) are actually cheaper than our DVD only release (€104 is about $132). Cooler packaging, too. When it comes to Aniplex stuff, Europeans get off easy because they're not in the same region.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Reading this article (and I thought Zac asked good questions), I was thinking that it was a bit like asking a used car salesman if he thought that his customers were getting good deals, or a politician if he thought he was really serving the needs of the people in his district.

The one thing that I did find interesting is that AoA has only 5 people in it. I'm not sure what that means. Is he saying that his entire company has only five people in it? That's hard to believe. Do they actually create their own disks, then? What about shipping? Or are they merely middle-men for all of that?

Well, at any rate, nothing Mr. Goto said changed my opinion of AoA or of their pricing schemes. I still think they gouge their customers and I'd still like to see them go away. But, if people are willing to buy at their price points, then they're going to stick around into the foreseeable future.

Here's a helpful ownership diagram:

Sony (Japan) ----> Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) ----> Aniplex of Japan ----> Aniplex of America

As you can see, it would be quite easy to simply use the infrastructure of one of the parent divisions inside Sony.
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@ Tuor_of_Gondolin - having 5 people in their operation is very believable. Remember, they are a wholly-owned subsidiary of Aniplex and their only function is to release a handful of cherry-picked Aniplex titles each year. Not only that, but they only sell through a few online retailers so they don't need a big sales/marketing/advertising department. All their physical production (i.e. actually putting the box sets together) would be contracted out - you don't need inhouse capability for that stuff. In this day and age, having a low overhead is critical to being profitable in the anime distribution business.

Then it *is* as if they were merely middlemen for the whole process: middlemen between Aniplex of Japan and some retailers here in the US. In effect, they're AoJ's extension in the US whose purpose is to maximize profits in any way possible, regardless of the effect it might have on the R1 anime industry as a whole. That's my impression, anyway. But I think that's all I'll say about it. I don't want to start another re-hash of this subject. Everyone has already stated their positions on that matter, after all: if you want to pay those prices, do it, and if not, then don't.

You are also paying a premium because it is a Sony product. Anyway, Aniplex is just a shell subsidiary for Sony. I wouldn't be surprised if Aniplex of Japan only ran a skeleton crew, relying on SME for all the other stuff.

Last edited by dragon695 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
If what Henry Goto says is true and he actually reads these forums, then I'm gonna take this opportunity right now to share my opinions of what steps AoA need to take. This'll save me the time from having to fill out all those comment cards:

• Unless it's a direct Japanese import, stop printing discs using the Japanese disc image file. The recent Durarara!! blurays don't have a separate subtitle track for on-screen text like the DVDs do, which means that anyone wanting to watch the English dub either has to watch the show with all the subtitles on, or they have to turn the subs on and off every time a piece of untranslated text comes on screen. This is especially bad in episode 24, where two characters have an entire conversation in Russian that ISN'T TRANSLATED. I know you probably used the Japanese image as a means to cut cost, but it shows a massive lack of effort on your part, and is a slap in the face to anyone wanting to watch the show in English, especially considering that the feature is already produced and available on the DVDs.

• Either start translating your opening and ending credits, or at the very least give us a FULL credit scroll. I know some people are hung up on having "the original Japanese kanji", but it does hardly anyone any good unless they can read Japanese characters. Not only that, but the English credits you do offer as a "special feature" only includes select names such as the director, production company, and a handful of characters. Nearly all of the characters introduced in the second half of Durarara!! don't even get credited, and Madoka's friends and family outside of the magical girls themselves don't have their names listed at all. Unless the actor specifically requests to remain uncredited, it's completely unfair not to list someone who worked on the show. If I worked on something that I was proud of - no matter how small or insignificant my position was - I would want as many people to know as I could that I helped make it. It's not even like it would be hard, either. You could do like Sentai does and just run a black credit scroll after every episode. You could put something like that together in Windows Movie Maker, even, and it would take you MAYBE 30 minutes tops per episode. You can knock out an entire 24 episode series in a day, EASY.

• Offer us more on-disc extras. Not everyone likes postcards, ya know. Some of us prefer things like behind the scenes featurettes, commentaries, etc. Companies like FUNimation are usually very good at getting this stuff for us, but you guys seem to be very stingy with yours. The Nakano event from the DRRR bluray and the behind the scenes features from the Garden of Sinners set have been completely stripped out of the US release. Why? Are we not allowed to have that? Do you just think that us Americans don't like that sort of stuff and instead choose to placate us with cheap junk like postcards? Even if you can't convince the Japanese to allow you guys to include those features, you could always put exclusive US features instead. The voice actor interview videos you made for DRRR!! and Madoka? Those should've been put on the disc. The outtake videos? Those should've been added too. Those videos were already produced and paid for and would've cost you hardly anything to add, and they would've helped soften the heavy price tag and made the release more appealing.

• You need to consider starting up a "value line" for some of your older releases. There is absolutely NO REASON ON THIS EARTH that a nine-year-old show like R.O.D. the TV should cost over 100 dollars. The Baccano! bluray set may be one of your more "reasonable" releases, but for a 5 year old show that's only 16 episodes, even it's a bit high at 50 bucks. You can buy FUNimation's DVD set of that show on some sites for about one-third of that, and it even comes with MORE special features than the BD set, AND even has translated credits, to boot!! Contrary to what you seem to believe, anime shows do depreciate in value over time, so offering some of your older catalog at a reduced price might prove to be a good source of income to you in the long run.

• For the love of God, run a SALE every now and then!! It doesn't have to be often, say every six months or so. And it doesn't even have to be a big sale, either. You could take 10% off. Or heck, put out a coupon for $5 off. It would do wonders for your guys' reputation if people saw that you were willing to give them a break every now and then, even if it's just a little one. And please... PLEASE let us use our RightStuf Got Anime? membership on your items!! We pay good money for that, ya know.

In short, I'd like to see more effort being put into the disc itself rather than the packaging. More features, more options, more stuff to actually watch, rather than frivolous junk like postcards & posters. That would actually make me think your products are worth the hefty price tag you like to slap on them, Mr. Goto.

And while I'm at it: Dub Fate/zero, Magi, SAO, and the Madoka movies, get us a DRRR!! bluray release with a on-screen text subtitle option, license rescue Gurren Lagann and put it out on bluray, get the Blue Exorcist dub out to us in a physical release sooner rather than later, and for the love of God, STOP CHARGING US EXTRA FOR POSTCARDS!!!! Mad

*whew* Okay. That's... pretty much it from me. Cool
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with making the subtitles more flexible and certainly I believe that we should have EVERY single extra the Japanese release gets, even if it isn't subtitled.

That being said, I like having artboxes, posters, and other extras that also come with the Japanese release.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

• Either start translating your opening and ending credits, or at the very least give us a FULL credit scroll.

Boy, it sure would be great if there was a website that had a database that listed all that information, wouldn't it?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree with making the subtitles more flexible and certainly I believe that we should have EVERY single extra the Japanese release gets, even if it isn't subtitled.

That being said, I like having artboxes, posters, and other extras that also come with the Japanese release.

I don't have a problem with artboxes and posters either, but I don't think they should be the ONLY extras included on an item that costs over 100 bucks.

Packaging should never, NEVER, NEVER be that expensive. At the end of the day, it's nothing more than a piece of cardboard. If you want to charge me an arm and a leg, give me something I think is worth it.

If you're gonna charge me $20-$30 dollars just for a box, then that box better take out my trash, clean my room, wash my dishes, do my taxes, and perform certain "favors" for me on a regular basis. Wink
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
[Here's a helpful ownership diagram:

Sony (Japan) ----> Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) ----> Aniplex of Japan ----> Aniplex of America

As you can see, it would be quite easy to simply use the infrastructure of one of the parent divisions inside Sony.

Wow. I didn't know this. suddenly a lot of things about AoA are making more sense to me now.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
The recent Durarara!! blurays don't have a separate subtitle track for on-screen text like the DVDs do, which means that anyone wanting to watch the English dub either has to watch the show with all the subtitles on, or they have to turn the subs on and off every time a piece of untranslated text comes on screen. This is especially bad in episode 24, where two characters have an entire conversation in Russian that ISN'T TRANSLATED. I know you probably used the Japanese image as a means to cut cost, but it shows a massive lack of effort on your part, and is a slap in the face to anyone wanting to watch the show in English, especially considering that the feature is already produced and available on the DVDs.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
The Nakano event from the DRRR bluray and the behind the scenes features from the Garden of Sinners set have been completely stripped out of the US release.

This information is really helpful to me going forward. Especially since I was considering buying the DRRR! blu-rays. Thanks.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
For the love of God, run a SALE every now and then!! It doesn't have to be often, say every six months or so. And it doesn't even have to be a big sale, either. You could take 10% off. Or heck, put out a coupon for $5 off. It would do wonders for your guys' reputation if people saw that you were willing to give them a break every now and then, even if it's just a little one. And please... PLEASE let us use our RightStuf Got Anime? membership on your items!! We pay good money for that, ya know.

Seeing as how this is Sony we are talking about, I doubt we will ever see a sale. From what I've noticed, Sony never does that. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 28