• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shutter Island's Kalogridis to Pen Ghost in the Shell Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well a US made live action movie maybe good, But I really want to see a US made live action TV series. I like the anime series whole lot better then the anime movie. I just think GitS just works better as a series then a movie. Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles turned out pretty good. I can see GitS series turn out just as good.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
Quote:
Mila Jovovich or Megan Fox as Motoko.

Oh god. Laughing

I know!

Sigourney Weaver! Razz

That would be fantastic. She's probably a bit old but better that than someone who is too young and can't act worth a damn. It's not like Motoko is supposed to be some young girl either. In fact, I think the best indication of whether this will be any good or just fluff will be whether or not they cast Motoko as a super young, 20 something babe.
johnmora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It's not like Motoko is supposed to be some young girl either. In fact, I think the best indication of whether this will be any good or just fluff will be whether or not they cast Motoko as a super young, 20 something babe.

While the character of Motoko Kusanagi isn't young, her shell is that of a youthful, beautiful woman. There's no getting around that.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Once hired isn't the same as actually having a script. Why can't they get Proyas involved, since he's the only one who's done anything close to real sci-fi in Hollywood over the last decade?

Thankfully, that's not even close to being true.
NooBoY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
i have to say that once hollywood gets their claws on an orginal idea, they normaly let it go down the gurgler.

they are like the 4Kids of anime Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
It's not like Motoko is supposed to be some young girl either. In fact, I think the best indication of whether this will be any good or just fluff will be whether or not they cast Motoko as a super young, 20 something babe.

While the character of Motoko Kusanagi isn't young, her shell is that of a youthful, beautiful woman. There's no getting around that.

Is it? I think that depends on how you define youthful. I never got the impression from any of the versions of GitS that she's supposed to look Megan Fox young. I'd say she should look like she's in her mid 30s. Yeah she should definitely be very attractive but I hardly think you need to cast some young 20-something who looks like she could still be in high school in order to have an appropriate level of attractiveness.

In retrospect, I'm probably wrong about Sigourney Weaver being close enough. I can't actually recall seeing her in anything made in the last 15 years so I'm probably basing my view on what she looked like back in the 80's and 90's.

Er..yeah. I just Wiki'd Sigourney Weaver. No, that won't work. My god, is she really 60 already? I need to stop watching Alien.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Isn't 3-D the kiss of death for any movie? All they do is spend half the film sticking things in you face. ;>)
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
While I know it's not her fault for studio demands, Kalogridis did work on that horrible Birds of Prey TV series. So I'm a bit worried that despite her best intentions this could turn into another bad adaptation.
GATSU wrote:
Once hired isn't the same as actually having a script. Why can't they get Proyas involved, since he's the only one who's done anything close to real sci-fi in Hollywood over the last decade?
Wait.. are you trying to say the I,Robot film was 'real sci fi'? No.. just... no. I like Proyas, but that film was quite disappointing, especially with such an amazing film like Dark City behind him.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Wait.. are you trying to say the I,Robot film was 'real sci fi'? No.. just... no. I like Proyas, but that film was quite disappointing, especially with such an amazing film like Dark City behind him.

I, Robot wouldn't have seemed so bad if they hadn't slapped the name onto an unrelated script (with quick edits to incorporate Asimov's three laws of robotics). It'd still be a flawed action film, but better than a lot of stuff.

But don't worry, as someone always arrives to point out whenever people complain about butchered source material: film and literature are different mediums, so it's impossible to do an accurate adaptation; and accurate adaptations (while impossible?) are boring anyway, because they're just like some classic that people know and love (no surprises!). I, Robot must therefore be one of the best film adaptations ever.

Hope Proyas does a good job on The Tripods (which isn't planned as a trilogy, apparently?)
kow626

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
i agree with some of the comments here. it'd be pretty difficult to screw up a gits movie. special effects aside, the story is pretty cut and dry and tailor made for live-action. i'm hoping they don't go the 3d or all cgi route as it's not necessary. good casting is what this movie will need to make it. can't think of anyone at the moment to play motoko...but she's gotta be comfy with nudity (possibly), athletic, and really assertive like sigourney weaver in aliens. hmmmm...as of right now, jessica beal comes to mind.
NooBoY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
kow626 wrote:
i agree with some of the comments here. it'd be pretty difficult to screw up a gits movie. special effects aside, the story is pretty cut and dry and tailor made for live-action. i'm hoping they don't go the 3d or all cgi route as it's not necessary. good casting is what this movie will need to make it. can't think of anyone at the moment to play motoko...but she's gotta be comfy with nudity (possibly), athletic, and really assertive like sigourney weaver in aliens. hmmmm...as of right now, jessica beal comes to mind.

but do you think that they will let the actor to be naked?
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
NooBoY wrote:
kow626 wrote:
....[I] can't think of anyone at the moment to play motoko...but she's gotta be comfy with nudity (possibly), athletic, and really assertive like sigourney weaver in aliens. hmmmm...as of right now, jessica beal comes to mind.

Remember, this is supposed to be based on the manga. I don't think Kusanagi appeared naked there much, perhaps except for a couple of pages that were censored in the recent re-release. The only character I recall as nude spent much of her appearance partially disassembled.
kow626

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
NooBoY wrote:
kow626 wrote:
....[I] can't think of anyone at the moment to play motoko...but she's gotta be comfy with nudity (possibly), athletic, and really assertive like sigourney weaver in aliens. hmmmm...as of right now, jessica beal comes to mind.

Remember, this is supposed to be based on the manga. I don't think Kusanagi appeared naked there much, perhaps except for a couple of pages that were censored in the recent re-release. The only character I recall as nude spent much of her appearance partially disassembled.

for authenticity, i think it would help if there was nudity. not blatant but just to show that they really are cyborgs who don't really care much about sexuality as opposed to having a functional body. and to show that the cyborg bods can pass for human bods. even disassembled, i'd expect nudity but i doubt they'd have genitalia and if they did, male or female, they wouldn't necessarily have to show it. so the most i'd expect is some boobage.
NooBoY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
kow626 wrote:

for authenticity, i think it would help if there was nudity. not blatant but just to show that they really are cyborgs who don't really care much about sexuality as opposed to having a functional body. and to show that the cyborg bods can pass for human bods. even disassembled, i'd expect nudity but i doubt they'd have genitalia and if they did, male or female, they wouldn't necessarily have to show it. so the most i'd expect is some boobage.

meh, i supose so Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2