• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IMAGI's Astro Boy Adds US$2.6 Million, Falls to #10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
This seems pretty disappointing for a movie like this. Then again I guess I don't really know how popular Astro Boy is in North America.
crazyd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
With this economy that much people didn't get a chance to see it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
This seems pretty disappointing for a movie like this. Then again I guess I don't really know how popular Astro Boy is in North America.

I don't think that it's that popular here. With this economy, it's prob lucky to do as good as its doing.

It's also going up against Jim Carrey...

It'll prob pass Ponyo's US take next week if it's still being tracked
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Not good for IMAGI. Boxofficemojo.com lists the budget at $65 million.

Quote:

That may be under-preforming too, considering the budget for that film was $200 million...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Not good for IMAGI. Boxofficemojo.com lists the budget at $65 million.

Quote:

That may be under-preforming too, considering the budget for that film was $200 million...

They have a chance at making it up with overseas sales, BD sales etc.

If you have a good sound system, there isn't that much need to go to the theaters imo. Just wait to buy/rent the release or watch it on demand.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Hopefully so. Astro Boy didn't do very well in Japan, though it was quite successful in China:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3icc3fec8640be47141ac15f403bbc6837
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I never thought this would do very well. But I never imagined it would do this bad either. I figured they would have made back half of their money within a month. At this rate that isn't even close to happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
While not "hating" the movie, it isn't something that I think even deserves to do well.

About halfway in, it stops being Tetsuwan Atom, and starts being a Political Circlejerk movie.

because when Hollywood hack writers run out of good ideas, it's always best to stick politics into a movie...ESPECIALLY CHILDRENS MOVIE LOLOLOLOL.

Sorry Astro Boy.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I never thought this would do very well. But I never imagined it would do this bad either. I figured they would have made back half of their money within a month. At this rate that isn't even close to happening.

There's always the rest of the world. EU, Canada, Australia etc. It did great in China. (see Dune's link)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Quote:

Hopefully so. Astro Boy didn't do very well in Japan, though it was quite successful in China:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3icc3fec8640be47141ac15f403bbc6837

Well, yay for it doing ganbusters in China, but the total amount of money you can make there is pretty low just because of the yuan... Opening of $6 million might be a record but it's just 6 mil, maybe they'll make 10-12 in China overall... Sure that helps but it's not going to get them out of the red. DVD and Blu-ray sales might help.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

I don't think that it's that popular here. With this economy, it's prob lucky to do as good as its doing.

Well, not really. The other way around, actually. because of the economy crisis, and because going to the cinema is the most cheap entertainment today, this year was the most highest grossing year in Hollywood history!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007956.html?categoryid=10&cs=1&nid=2248

And farther more, it was the first year in years that only TWO films (Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience, The Final Destination on his second weekend) that mark the first place in the box office open with less than 20 Million dollars.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Well, not really. The other way around, actually. because of the economy crisis, and because going to the cinema is the most cheap entertainment today, this year was the most highest grossing year in Hollywood history!

And farther more, it was the first year in years that only TWO films (Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience, The Final Destination on his second weekend) that mark the first place in the box office open with less than 20 Million dollars.

Actually renting a movie is far cheaper than going to one. Reading is even cheaper. Walmart and Big Lots is also cheaper.

The movies you listed were live action and of course the Jonas Brothers is going to have a huge take. And all the movies in the article were the big guns imo.

It all eventually becomes rental/on demand fodder anyways. People are more pickier over what they spend their money to see. Not every one is going to be interested in paying loads of money to see Astro Boy over Jim Carrey or Where the Wild Things Are. It's not a reflection that the movie is bad but a reflection of audience taste.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
kpk wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Actually renting a movie is far cheaper than going to one. Reading is even cheaper. Walmart and Big Lots is also cheaper.

The movies you listed were live action and of course the Jonas Brothers is going to have a huge take. And all the movies in the article were the big guns imo.

It all eventually becomes rental/on demand fodder anyways. People are more pickier over what they spend their money to see. Not every one is going to be interested in paying loads of money to see Astro Boy over Jim Carrey or Where the Wild Things Are. It's not a reflection that the movie is bad but a reflection of audience taste.

Okay then, *ONE* of the cheapest. Happy now? And as i said.. This year even the most in-significant films had a big success in the box office. January, one of the most un-profitable months for movies was a huge success. Even though a movie that was meant to be a huge success in the box office like "The Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience" was one of the biggest failures of the year.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
There's always the rest of the world. EU, Canada, Australia etc. It did great in China. (see Dune's link)

Canada (at least English Canada) is included in the "domestic" take, not the "overseas" take.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Cyan: Actually, the manga was anti-war, too, and at one point, brings up Vietnam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1