• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-10-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Either it's played for a cheap laugh (Azumanga Daioh), portrayed as nothing more than a wistful fantasy (Card Captor Sakura, Kodomo no Omocha), or as a straightforward romance on pretty equal terms (Please Teacher, Maison Ikkoku, et cetera).

Sakura's mother was a student of Sakura's father when they met.
There's a ref to Sakura's brother Touya having been in a relationship with Sakura's teacher when I believe she was a student teacher for his class? She's also apparently envolved with Errol when he shows up, though I was never really sure how far that one went.

It's the fan service thing. Teacher/student. Doctor/patient. Mentor/pupil. One sees it a lot in yaoi & romance, in particular the sub-genre where it's the student making the moves/blackmailing the teacher/whatever. And we do see consequences every so often. Not too much because teacher getting banned from ever teaching again/doc never being able to practice medicine again is something of an unhappy ending. In a way, I believe it's going for "See, I love you enough to risk everything!" but it's really, really stupid. In some cases there's the happy ending where the teacher/student relationship is discovered, but teach is allowed to go to another school to teach (maybe these are private schools? I forget) I seem to recall one where they used the plot that the teacher being revealed as gay (might have been a 2 teacher relationship plot-can't recall) was sent to an all girl school to teach where he wouldn't be tempted (allegedly).

It's the "forbidden" love thing they are so passionate about in manga romances.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

It's a shame that Boo Berry isn't available everywhere anymore. I haven't even seen Frankenberry for a long time. Count Chocula is about the only one available, and even that seems to only appear around Halloween.

Our local Target has Frankenberry in the halloween isle, so maybe yours does too.

I think that most younger fans don't realize that there is a line. In one of my classes today (which is a tenth grade english class as well because they couldn't justfy a whole class period for one Latin 4 student) a boy was showing the teacher fanart from Death Note. I distracted the teacher while he was trying to explain the premise of the show while holding his own death note. He was begging for a referal, begging. He aproached me after class and chewed me out because "I just didn't understand anime." I scoffed and rolled my eyes as he dared me to name one show that wasn't Pokemon.

Because I'm a smartass I said Dragon Ball Z, which I hate. He said that shows on TV don't count so I rattled off Loveless, Princess Tutu, and Kannazuki no Miko. Because he hadn't heard of them he told me I was lying. I laughed so hard, as did the teacher, (because my junior year I showed her some clips from Negima! where Negi was speaking Latin.) I hope this kid grows out of it, because he even offered to let me borrow his flash drive so I could watch some shows. Why are teenagers retarded?
Ralifar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:

He was begging for a referral, begging.

A college referral? Or what kind of referral? Why was the death note involved?
sailorsarah08 wrote:

Why are teenagers retarded?

Oh how I truly wish I could tell you it was because they were young and hadn't matured yet, but sadly, a good portion of those retarded teenagers will stay retarded as they age. Some will grow out of it, yes, and some will mature into a different kind of retardedness. Many will still stay as idiotic as they were in their teen years though. You're always going to have to deal with people that are like that.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Ralifar wrote:
sailorsarah08 wrote:

He was begging for a referral, begging.

A college referral? Or what kind of referral? Why was the death note involved?

High School, but he'd get suspended or expelled. He was carrying a faux death note around and then he tried to explain the premise with fan art and a book designed to kill people. Let it be known that arguably she is the strictess teacher in the school. That's the reason I avoid the anime club at all costs, I don't want that kind of stigma.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Purely anecdotal, I know but still poignant I believe...

Well it does seem like the sort of inane rule that some parts of America would think up. But really, that's just bizarre. I'm glad New Zealand does not put our teachers under that sort of tyranny. I mean, what a person does outside of work is their own business, so long as it does not affect their performance. And I find it hard to believe that a student - of any age - is going to think less of their teacher if they see them having wine at a restaurant or a beer at a sports game.

First, there is the idea that a person is never really separated from their job, especially if they're expected to maintain an image. It's entirely possible that a student would think less of a teacher if they saw the stumbling around after having a few too many. It isn't that easy to think of somebody outside of the usual contexts. Try going to a party with your bosses and coworkers. It can be weird because even with the casual setting, you can't avoid thinking of them as your bosses and coworkers. Also, I've had the opportunity to share a meal with teachers from my school that haven't been my teacher for many years, and it's extremely difficult not to think of them as a teacher. Second, yep let's just pile another one on America because nowhere else comes up with dumb rules.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
First, there is the idea that a person is never really separated from their job, especially if they're expected to maintain an image.

Then there is the idea that people should be allowed to actually be people once in a while instead of always being forced to being just a teacher or fireman or whatever. And honestly, what image is a teacher supposed to maintain? That they actually know what they are teaching. Getting plastered is not a good look, but only because they are drunk in the first place, not because they are a drunk teacher.

Greed1914 wrote:
Second, yep let's just pile another one on America because nowhere else comes up with dumb rules.

As an American I resent your attitude against my country. Heaps of nations have stupid rules. It's just that America unfortunately has a bad (but deserved) reputation for being a land of idiots. It's why I moved. Thought to be fair, Minneapolis was nice enough. Horrible temperatures though, and I didn't like the tornadoes, but that's another story.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
On the note of inappropriate times to cosplay... I often hang out in the international district in Seattle, where there's a big Japanese grocery store, a great Kinokuniya book store, a video game store, and a bunch of Asian restaurants and stuff. I feel like at least every other time I'm in that area, I see teens walking around in cosplay and it annoys me. At first I was thinking- oh man, is there some small con or event going on that I wasn't aware of? But no, I think these people just decided it was okay to be Naruto ninjas in the grocery store. *sigh*

In the Netherlands so-called cosplay meetings used to be very popular. At one point there were atleast several each month and that's a lot for a small country. They started out as meetings at amusement parks, attracting 25-50 people, but after a few years people starting meeting up at random Burger Kings to go to a comicbookstore and buy manga. These weren't just small groups, no we're talking 40-50 people going to a few comicbookstores in cosplay. Someone even wanted to organize a cosplay meeting at a swimming pool. Oh and then there was that BL/yaoi cosplay meeting at a family fun park which over 100 fans attended. Fortunately nothing bad happened.

Luckily, random cosplay meeting are starting to become less and less common. Now it's mostly a few big and well-organized ones.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And honestly, what image is a teacher supposed to maintain? That they actually know what they are teaching. Getting plastered is not a good look, but only because they are drunk in the first place, not because they are a drunk teacher.

The fact of the matter is that these are people you leave your children to be guided by. People don't want to see them doing foolish things. No ones saying they can't kick their feet up and relax, but yes it generally is expected that they be a bit above the crowd.
dtm42 wrote:

Greed1914 wrote:
Second, yep let's just pile another one on America because nowhere else comes up with dumb rules.

As an American I resent your attitude against my country.

Umm...I'm pretty sure he was just sarcastically responding to the comment you made.

dtm42 wrote:

Well it does seem like the sort of inane rule that some parts of America would think up.

That sounds like you're the one badmouthing America. I could be wrong of course, but I doubt very seriously that Greed would seriously be saying that no other place in the world had stupid rules.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Ralifar wrote:
SalarymanJoe wrote:

it's almost as if Japan expects their teachers to also have fairly normal lives.

This may be location specific in Japan as well. I had a friend that taught English in Hokkaido for close to 5 years. If she did something that could be deemed even slightly inappropriate someone would report it to her school and she'd be in the kocho sensei's office the next morning. The teachers there were supposed to hold themselves to a higher moral standard when in public. This could also have been because she was so noticeable. She was the only foreigner in the entire city.

That's very possible. My friend is way out west in Fukuoka Prefecture. He's also a guy, which may also account for something, knowing Japan. He did say he did a lot of his serious partying in a different city, but the town in which he lives is pretty rural and the next larger town is an old industrial town (while there's still stuff to do, there is nothing like the Big City). But the way he said it, it was like he preferred the Big City the best and he knew he wouldn't be hassled by students more so than getting in trouble with the boss/koucho-sensei.

That said, I can't say weather or not the restrictions my friend here in the States is under are a National, State or District/County thing. Knowing my State and disagreements I've had in the past regarding Alcohol Politics, I would imagine its more of a State thing. It's very possible that it is something that isn't present or would be spoken about so much in other areas/districts.

Ralifar wrote:
I also know of a case where a teacher was found out to be sleeping with his middle school student. No legal action was taken. He wasn't even forced to quit being a teacher, but he was forced to transfer school districts.

I know I've heard of similar cases from second-hand sources. As far as the shuffling around thing, if the teacher was a JET, they may be able to do it because technically, the teachers work for the Board of Education (municipal or prefectural) and not the schools, as I understand it. School develops a problem, take it to the BoE and the BoE shuffles them around until the teacher either knocks it off or goes home.

Greed1914 wrote:
First, there is the idea that a person is never really separated from their job, especially if they're expected to maintain an image.

I understand exactly what you are saying, 100%. I also sympathize with dtm42's position completely. I think there's a need for a balance in professional perception and the boundaries to professional and personal lives.

Personally, I think someone should be looked down upon or thought less of if they showed up to work drunk. If you're in a position where you are out with clients, you need to keep it at a respectable level with your clients. But, when I'm not working for the company, all bets are off. That's MY time. I don't work in a profession where there is an honor code tied to my employment like the military. What happens off-the-clock/out-of-uniform is reflective of SalarymanJoe, the civilian and not SalarymanJoe, the salary man.

That said, some professions come with said honor codes or codes of ethics. I know the military, lawyers, doctors and engineers have them; teaching may have one, too. I know that IT, to its benefit and detriment, does not. If teaching does, it may have something in there about maintaining a public perception and to live up to an ideal. If that's the case, you're responsible for adhering to those standards as well as the mores of society; it is just something that comes with the job.

Shifting to a different topic entirely - inappropriate cosplay:

I've seen a group of cosplayers show up at one of my old college bars a couple times. They would space it out about every couple of weeks but there would be like 8 - 10 people in the group and it would be themed; one week it was Street Fighter, another it was Star Wars. And it was no where near Halloween so you might "blend in", no it was in loving February and March. While telling this story in hilarious-tirade fashion, one of the people I was speaking to piped up and they not only knew the group, but the group had an official name and they weren't doing this in any ironic fashion to rile up crotchety old fans like myself. I was mortified.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
Ralifar wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

And honestly, what image is a teacher supposed to maintain? That they actually know what they are teaching. Getting plastered is not a good look, but only because they are drunk in the first place, not because they are a drunk teacher.

The fact of the matter is that these are people you leave your children to be guided by. People don't want to see them doing foolish things. No ones saying they can't kick their feet up and relax, but yes it generally is expected that they be a bit above the crowd.

A bit, but that's all. Society has general rules about how drunk a person can get before it becomes socially frowned upon. Those are usually a good guide. No-one over the age of, oh, twenty-five, no matter what their line of work, should be getting so drunk as to vomit and/or pass out. As long as teachers (or virtually anyone else) refrain from doing anything that would be considered crossing the line of decency as judged by the "typical" member of society, then they should be okay. They really don't need any further rules; anything would be an imposition on their basic human rights. People are humans before they are teachers or firefighters or what-have-you. Remember that.

Ralifar wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Greed1914 wrote:

As an American I resent your attitude against my country.

Umm...I'm pretty sure he was just sarcastically responding to the comment you made.

dtm42 wrote:

Well it does seem like the sort of inane rule that some parts of America would think up.

That sounds like you're the one badmouthing America. I could be wrong of course, but I doubt very seriously that Greed would seriously be saying that no other place in the world had stupid rules.

Can't anyone realise sarcasm when they see it? Gah.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Can't anyone realise sarcasm when they see it? Gah.

No. And I mean that seriously, sarcasm is THE hardest thing to express online. A good Rolling Eyes or Wink can be helpful. Heck, I sometimes stick in a (sarcasm) after a line just to be careful.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Teenagers are not dumb, but they are both physically and psychologically disabled. It's all down to the child becoming an adult. Just as the body is going through some radical changes, so is the brain. It has been scientically obverved that a child's brain literally disassembles itself, or unwires it's patching from being a child of infant and immature abilities, and repatches itself to being an able and responsible adult. Unforuntately it is also a process of great stress and revulsion. Ever wonder about the teenage atittude of laid back, or the zoned out teen? The one that thinks it will never die, and the one that wishes it was dead already? The one that never smiles, or the one that never stop giggling? The one that does something really wierd, and when asked why, he/she can only reply "I da'know!". That's right, they don't, and it is only when they reach adulthood that they realise what they did was "dumb" and then feel embarrassed about it. It is seen that the brain is at the same state as when the child was a todder, except its a big toddler now, which also has to start functioning like an adult. Stress and revulsion. Of course each individual teenager will react, or not, differently to this state of mind, but generally overall the observation runs along a similar template. So teenagers aren't "dumb", they're just......teenagers. Wink

When looking for an example of an anime that started out great, but deteriorated with age, one need look no further than "Gunslinger Girl". First season; one of the best examples of design and story. Second season one of the worst examples of trying to get away with no story by speading a thick layer of moe blobs over it. A total failure. Wink
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
I worked as a teacher in Japan for a couple of years, and my experience was this: teacher-student romantic relationships are NOT condoned or even accepted, especially if the teacher is a female; however, teachers do have a somewhat closer relationship in general with students than their counterparts are likely to have in America. For example, I went to bowling parties and even clubs with my students, and it was perfectly acceptable. When my fellow teachers planned the event, it was fully expected that I be there. When I was working at an eikaiwa I went drinking with students a number of times. But the big, BIG thing was that, if any teacher was ever found to be alone, for any reason, with a student of the opposite sex in a setting other than a lesson/counseling, they would be fired immediately (supposedly). So obviously it wasn't an acceptable thing.
As for eikaiwa, I ended up dating one of my former students. And even though he was about the same age as myself (I was 23, he was 22), when it eventually got out, all hell broke loose. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, the point that I wanted to make (other than student-teacher romances are not ok) is that it's one of those types of things that's been sort of normalized in anime, that isn't real. Using the example of Cardcaptor Sakura-- because I haven't seen all of Please Teacher and whatnot-- there are a number of relationships featured (Touya/Yuki, who have a happy homosexual romance, for example) that are accepted, when they really wouldn't be in the real Japan. That's kind of because the underlying theme of the series is that consensual love is always a good thing. (And partly because CLAMP loves complicated romantic relationships.)
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
The only Answerfans response that I kind of disagree with (the rest of the answers are great and people really should consider internalizing their message--that sort of the behavior is one of the reasons I stopped going to cons) is:

Quote:
Line crossed: Wearing cosplay costumes or parts of cosplay costumes in everyday life (i.e. going to the doctor, walking the dog).

I absolutely understand what the writer is getting at, but some cosplay outfits are actually real clothing, and I don't think that is so bad to wear in public. Should you wear your Akatsuki cloak or Sailor Moon fuku around? Probably not. But, I have a replica Prince of Tennis starter track suit that is, in fact, a track suit. You can bet I wear that thing in public all the time, because it's just plain comfy. I frequently wore the jacket to class in spring when it was too cold for no coat but too warm for a wool coat, and no one ever even commented on it (I was pretty surprised--I was expecting everyone to ask me if I played tennis, which I don't). It's a matter of wearing something in a style that is acceptable for your area--and not getting defensive when people are understandably curious about what the heck you are wearing.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Then there is the idea that people should be allowed to actually be people once in a while instead of always being forced to being just a teacher or fireman or whatever. And honestly, what image is a teacher supposed to maintain? That they actually know what they are teaching. Getting plastered is not a good look, but only because they are drunk in the first place, not because they are a drunk teacher.

So, I take it you don't believe that teachers are role models? They have the opportunity to shape the views and behavior of their students, so shouldn't they be expected to maintain a positive image in the eyes of their students? Let's also not forget that not all students are old enough or mature enough to make the distinction between what is OK professionally and socially. Seeing a teacher behave as such puts such students in the position where they may no longer respect a teacher for doing something that they, the students, were told not to do. Or they may see it as being acceptable because a role model and person of authority in their life did it.

Also, thanks to Vashfanatic and Ralifar for understanding the second part of my previous post. dtm42 clearly said "I'm glad New Zealand doesn't put our teachers..." implying that the comment is coming from someone in another country making a statement about America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3