• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-10-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone so insulted by so-called "inappropriate" cosplaying? Maybe it's because I grew up in NY, but people wear all sorts of weird things everyday. How is a kid wearing a Naruto headband or a gothic-loli get up any different from a kid wearing Spiderman sneakers or a whole, old-school goth get up? It's all better than that "naked cowboy" dude in Times Square (he's running for mayor). Razz

Re: teachers: I think they do have a responsibility, because kids do look up to them and ask them for advice. Ever see a doctor smoking right outside a hospital? Adults can understand the disconnect between what people preach and what they practice. Children have a harder time making that distinction. It's honorable for teachers to avoid practising hypocrisy in front of students.

The romance seems to be purely a "forbidden relationship" trope.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I think the great majority of cartoons in general have that dip in animation quality once in a while. It just depends on the episode, the budget for the episode and what the script called for in the episode...at least I'd think. It doesn't bug me too much, unless it's completely jarring. M.D. Geist is a perfect example. The original had fairly decent animation for the time but, when they re-did it with the new footage in the late 90's, it looked horrid. The new footage didn't jibe with the old footage and it took me completely out of the story.

There are only two other times I can think of the animation bothering me: One was in Saint Seiya...Episode 1 and 2 looked great, but by episode 3 the budget dropped to nothing and the animation was just garbage. Two was in the original Macross...the first few episodes are great but, by 3 or 4, the animation dropped to almost nothing. I realize they were completely rushed for time but, damn...that's some of the worst I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Also, thanks to Vashfanatic and Ralifar for understanding the second part of my previous post. dtm42 clearly said "I'm glad New Zealand doesn't put our teachers..." implying that the comment is coming from someone in another country making a statement about America.

It is called dual citizenship. Don't make me have to smack my forehead. Although that would be preferable to banging my head against a desk or wall.

Greed1914 wrote:
So, I take it you don't believe that teachers are role models? They have the opportunity to shape the views and behavior of their students, so shouldn't they be expected to maintain a positive image in the eyes of their students? Let's also not forget that not all students are old enough or mature enough to make the distinction between what is OK professionally and socially. Seeing a teacher behave as such puts such students in the position where they may no longer respect a teacher for doing something that they, the students, were told not to do. Or they may see it as being acceptable because a role model and person of authority in their life did it.

Of course teachers are role models. When they are teaching and around students in a formal setting. When they "clock off" for the day they should not have to keep on being a role model. Everyone needs time to be a normal human being, something you seem to think should be frowned upon if not outright outlawed. The fact that a student "might" see their teacher outside of school doing something that isn't strictly perfect and "might" get the wrong idea in their head that such behaviour is alright, well that in no way should preclude teachers from being normal people.

I mean, let's take your idiotic argument to its logical extreme. You would have to argue that teachers:

--- must always keep their lawns mowed because a student passing by might see their teacher lounging on his long grass and grow up to be a person that never mows their lawns. This of course completely ignores the hundreds of other people in the neighbourhood whose lawns also affect any student wandering by.

--- should never cross the street when not at an intersection or pedestrian crossing (A.K.A. jaywalking). Not because it could be dangerous but because a student might see them and grow up to be a habitual jaywalker. Never mind the thousands of other people they will see in their life who will jaywalk at one time or another.

You way overestimate the influence of teachers on students in areas other than school-related subjects. You also underestimate the intelligence of students who can realise that just because their teacher does something that doesn't automatically make it right, or make the students any more likely to do it.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Meh column this week, just seems like boring questions...

I know, dude! I actually just skimmed over most of it.

As for the "Question Of The Week", Shinoga's breakdown of what's acceptable and what's not in anime fandom, had me in stitches. I was literally imagining every detail as I read it. Thank the stars I've never been that kind of fan. I cringed many a time at the JLPT test center last year, where I encountered LOTS of "those" otaku. Shocked I know I'll be in for even more surprises when I attend my first Anime Expo next year. Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Also, thanks to Vashfanatic and Ralifar for understanding the second part of my previous post. dtm42 clearly said "I'm glad New Zealand doesn't put our teachers..." implying that the comment is coming from someone in another country making a statement about America.

It is called dual citizenship. Don't make me have to smack my forehead. Although that would be preferable to banging my head against a desk or wall.

Greed1914 wrote:
So, I take it you don't believe that teachers are role models? They have the opportunity to shape the views and behavior of their students, so shouldn't they be expected to maintain a positive image in the eyes of their students? Let's also not forget that not all students are old enough or mature enough to make the distinction between what is OK professionally and socially. Seeing a teacher behave as such puts such students in the position where they may no longer respect a teacher for doing something that they, the students, were told not to do. Or they may see it as being acceptable because a role model and person of authority in their life did it.

Of course teachers are role models. When they are teaching and around students in a formal setting. When they "clock off" for the day they should not have to keep on being a role model. Everyone needs time to be a normal human being, something you seem to think should be frowned upon if not outright outlawed. The fact that a student "might" see their teacher outside of school doing something that isn't strictly perfect and "might" get the wrong idea in their head that such behaviour is alright, well that in no way should preclude teachers from being normal people.

I mean, let's take your idiotic argument to its logical extreme. You would have to argue that teachers:

--- must always keep their lawns mowed because a student passing by might see their teacher lounging on his long grass and grow up to be a person that never mows their lawns. This of course completely ignores the hundreds of other people in the neighbourhood whose lawns also affect any student wandering by.

--- should never cross the street when not at an intersection or pedestrian crossing (A.K.A. jaywalking). Not because it could be dangerous but because a student might see them and grow up to be a habitual jaywalker. Never mind the thousands of other people they will see in their life who will jaywalk at one time or another.

You way overestimate the influence of teachers on students in areas other than school-related subjects. You also underestimate the intelligence of students who can realise that just because their teacher does something that doesn't automatically make it right, or make the students any more likely to do it.

Wow. Again you totally missed that you left out anything remotely related to having dual citizenship when you said "our." If you're going to say something bad about a country and then get offended when somebody calls you out on it, you might want to mention that you're from there beforehand or acknowledge that you were trying for some sort of comedy.

Also, you underestimate the power that teachers do have to influence people in other ways than just in their chosen subject. It is widely understood that teachers offer students a view of what a successful and upstanding adult is like. Why do you think that when a teacher is caught doing something wrong or illegal there is such a big stink about it? It's because the children were being taught by such a person. Sure, they might see a bunch of other people doing something wrong, but those are probably strangers that have zero influence on the student's daily life. Teachers require a certain amount of authority to effectively teach, and that goes out the window if they lose the respect of the students. I guess you just don't get that an authority figure that interacts with many impressionable youths on a daily basis has more influence than any anonymous individual. Which is going to make more of a difference to a child, seeing some random dude get hammered or seeing their teacher, who gave them the whole "Say no to drugs and alcohol" bit, get drunk? In the former, the kid probably sees somebody who didn't get the message and in the latter they see an apparent contradiction that leaves them wondering how valid the teacher's statements are if they are just a mouthpiece.

Finally, I think you overestimate the intelligence of some students. Yes, there are obviously those that can realize the difference, but there are those that cannot. And it's not like there aren't plenty of kids that are just too young to figure out that there is a difference. Shoot, little kids have enough trouble distinguishing between recess and classroom behavior. If they have trouble with rules applied directly to them, how well will they grasp the rules applied to adults? Just because some can tell the difference doesn't mean that all of them can, and it is those students that such rules are designed to benefit. Whether they do so is a valid question, but that is the intended purpose.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I remember, there was actually one time (or maybe more than one, but I only recall this one instance) where my 7th-grade English teacher was drinking wine in class. We were taking a test, and she had some in a goblet while eating a steak. No one made a fuss about it--not even regarding the fact that she's sitting back fine-dining while we were writing our butts off.

(Bear in mind I'm talking about the Los Angeles Unified School District here, one of the most poorly-maintained school districts in the USA, so if these kids don't lose faith in her, then I'm sure most Americans kids won't.)

Really, it's the parents who raise such a big stink-up about affairs like these. Whenever there's a scandal in the news, you'll find that the parents are doing all the talking--even over the lawyers or other school authorities who might agree with the parents. That's how it feels like to me. What's ironic is that it's the parents who are most likely to be stumbling around drunk. Parents are supposed to be role models too, right? Way bigger than teachers? So why do I see so many of them drunk in public when teachers can consistently pull off the super-sanitized appearance?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
Two was in the original Macross...the first few episodes are great but, by 3 or 4, the animation dropped to almost nothing. I realize they were completely rushed for time but, damn...that's some of the worst I've ever seen.

As much as it is responsible for much in the mecha genre, faces drawn off-character seemed commonplace in Macross, amongst other visual detriments. It is occasionally diverting in an unintended way, but one just needs to become accustomed to its visuals in order to view it in an appreciative light. For the most part, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3