• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
dyzzispell wrote:
RiderG wrote:
thanks poison.
Sa-chan66 wrote:
I used an exacto knife and was on a limited time schedule ;__; I had to get ready for a costume party so I had about 4 hours... X__X

that'll do it. you can't rush art. next time skip the party (that's what i ultimately did Anime hyper)

Or carve the pumpkin on a different day when you don't have a party to go to. Cool

You forgot to mention work and college. So having a day off that I have time to devote to pumpkin carving is pretty rare when you work full time and also am a full time student. ;___; I barely get time to do anything. Anyone wanna give me more spare time? *puppy dog eyes* Anime hyper
Akukame

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Sa-chan66 wrote:
dyzzispell wrote:
RiderG wrote:
thanks poison.
Sa-chan66 wrote:
I used an exacto knife and was on a limited time schedule ;__; I had to get ready for a costume party so I had about 4 hours... X__X

that'll do it. you can't rush art. next time skip the party (that's what i ultimately did Anime hyper)

Or carve the pumpkin on a different day when you don't have a party to go to. Cool

You forgot to mention work and college. So having a day off that I have time to devote to pumpkin carving is pretty rare when you work full time and also am a full time student. ;___; I barely get time to do anything. Anyone wanna give me more spare time? *puppy dog eyes* Anime hyper

Mine is usually carved without halloween actually in mind. More of a"whenever I find a day in october / early november". And usually a spot a day and plan in advance to have that day available to carve. Its become one of my very limitted number of yearly traditions.
dyzzispell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Sa-chan66 wrote:
dyzzispell wrote:
RiderG wrote:
thanks poison.
Sa-chan66 wrote:

Good point - I didn't think to account for that. I did mine quite some time before Halloween, so it didn't occur to me. Sorry about that! Embarassed
Dorian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Thank you judges and congratulations to the winners. Ju W’s pumpkin was assume.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
What anime is the grand prize winner's pumpkin from?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
It's from the Blizzard video game Diablo, which is why I'm confused as to how it's anime related.
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
It's from the Blizzard video game Diablo, which is why I'm confused as to how it's anime related.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I mean its a reaaaaly good pumkin but isnt this Anime news Network not Blizzard.net?

I can see maybe Kingdom Hearts or Resident Evil Degeneration in a contest on this site..

Well congrats to the winners!
Xeluu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Just thought I'd point out that the winner here was also the winner of Blizzard's Pumpkin Carving Contest.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/contests/pumpkin/winners.html?rhtml=y

So.... couldn't tell you how it's anime related.
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Haha, I can accept being beaten by someone better, even if it isn't strictly anime. We will all just have to come back better next year.

There are some more pictures of the Diablo pumpkin over at the Blizzard contest.

Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Xeluu wrote:
Just thought I'd point out that the winner here was also the winner of Blizzard's Pumpkin Carving Contest.

So.... couldn't tell you how it's anime related.

The winners are determined based on consensus votes, and his pumpkin had the most consensus votes. I knew it was Diablo, but games and anime share so many fans, I personally thought it'd be cool.

Regardless there will be new rules next year that will prevent someone from submitting the same entry to multiple contests (although you have to admit this was really a freak occurrence). We will also consider restricting pumpkin designs to where they absolutely must be anime-related in order to qualify.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
but games and anime share so many fans

Um, so? Description stated "Slash up your best anime-related masterpiece" and Diablo is not anime-related. What's worse is you knew it wasn't anime-related and let it slide.

Quote:
Regardless there will be new rules next year that will prevent someone from submitting the same entry to multiple contests (although you have to admit this was really a freak occurrence). We will also consider restricting pumpkin designs to where they absolutely must be anime-related in order to qualify.

No, it should be vice-versa. It is not your business how many contests an entrant enters his/her pumpkin into. It is your business that when you say anime-related, you stick to anime-related.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

No, it should be vice-versa. It is not your business how many contests an entrant enters his/her pumpkin into. It is your business that when you say anime-related, you stick to anime-related.

OK Doctor Expert, most creative contests state that submitted entries become the property of the entity holding said contests in order to prevent any number of troublesome things happening, including the same entry winning multiple contests. Read the legal language behind most creative writing competitions; it's very common. We should've had that rule in place here and we didn't, so that's going to change.

Splitter wrote:

Um, so? Description stated "Slash up your best anime-related masterpiece" and Diablo is not anime-related. What's worse is you knew it wasn't anime-related and let it slide.

Your opinion of my personal judgement is not at all important to me, and vice versa.

Last edited by Zac on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

To be honest, I think that a rule requiring that all entries are exclusively for ANN's competition, well I think a rule like that is fair. I can't really say why, but it just is.
crilix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote
Well, that was an embarrasing mistake. I compare it to football judges showing red cards by mistake. You rage, then you move on. :V
Jucky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote
Ju W here.

First, thank you Darth Zac and staff for your gracious acceptance of my pumpkin into your contest as well as the honor of being selected the winner.

I apologize for being the subject of such a stir among this peaceful anime community and at the conclusion of a contest at that. I found all the pumpkins to be quite wonderful esp RiderG, Challenger340, Akukame. Anime fans make quite the artist.

Quote:
most creative contests state that submitted entries become the property of the entity holding said contests in order to prevent any number of troublesome things happening, including the same entry winning multiple contests

I was never very clear what rights are surrendered on typical contests. I was under the assumption that upon entry, I would release unlimited usage rights of my submission in all manners...and not losing ownership of the material which would allow for this instance, the carver to enter multiple contests. That seems fair to me...however, the host's ruling on this subject isn't really up for discussion. I'll respect whatever contest rules you instill next year.

Quote:
I knew it was Diablo, but games and anime share so many fans

Thought this picture was a perfect example.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/diablo%20anime/Ironkorean/diablo2entry.jpg

Diablo may not be a lead character in his very own anime/manga series but I thought either Diablo specifically(FFVII) and demons in general frequented numerous series across the board. Maybe I'll do Mugen from Champloo next year but it just doesn't have the same affect on the kids out on halloween.

All the same, it was a splendid competition and I look forward to entering again next year with a pumpkin that isn't as controversial. Maddog...I am taking requests as long as its a horror of a headshot..haha.

BTW...thank you all for your kind words.

Sorry for the novel of a post...had a few troubles with registry the last couple of weeks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12