• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Islam in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Zombie thread. But I do agree it's an interesting topic that's been well explained by past post. A good read.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
only one I can think of is yugo the negotiator
Misaki_A

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
I am a Muslim and Turkish. Some of you are very wrong about the religion of Islam and Islam's views. For example, women, the temple (Mosque) they can go. My religion we believe in all the prophets (such as Prophet Jesus ...). The religion of Islam anime uncommon. But there are Turkish and Arab characters. 1 Cowboy Bebop Season 8 as shown in section in the historic Mosque in Istanbul. Anime things about Islam that makes me happy, of course, when there is something negative. In addition, the religion of Islam is not as difficult as you mentioned ...
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
RHachicho wrote:

I do agree however that yeah judaism seems to be markedly absent from anime in any shape or form i wonder why that is perhaps because all the themes from jewish history have pretty much been done to death already in western cinema

Judaism isn't totally absent from anime and manga. Granted, I don't recall any characters that are Jewish in anime, but there have been some symbols of Judaism present in anime.

One case that I can recall is that in Neon Genesis Evangelion, the Tree of Life from the Kabbalah appears on either the floor or ceiling (posibly both) of Gendou's office.

In X, the Star of David and Hebrew writing appear on both Kamui's and Fuma's swords.

In Fullmetal Alchemist: Btotherhood, too!
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
...Did I miss something, or has no one mentioned Magi in this thread? Amazing...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Pablo_Equis wrote:
...Did I miss something, or has no one mentioned Magi in this thread? Amazing...

I would think Magi is an obvious reference, but other than the setting loosely based in the Arabian Nights, there are not many actual references to Islam that I've noticed, it's more like magic-mistic stuff and djinns and rukh which -while I'm not certain- I believe not to be part of muslim ideology
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Pablo_Equis wrote:

This thread was started in 2009 and was resurrected only recently (the last 4 posts). That and Magi deals with Arabian equivalent of fairy tales, not Islam.
nero1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
As I know the main condition in Islam is to believe in the unity of God and to recognise Mohammad as his messenger. Up to now I haven't came across an anime that depicts scenes related to islam except scenes related to the one God. IN FMA the Scar was strongly resembling me the fighter for the name of God as an Islamic fighter.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Though I know this is a necro thread, and I haven't watched the whole series...

But isn't the show FLAG about a fictional middle eastern conflict? I assume Islamic views were expressed in that show in some way.

I'm surprised it didn't come up in the thread yet.

And though not an Anime, I believe Naoki Urasawa's Pluto involves a war in 'Persia'. The the main antagonist might have strong religious ties, though its been a while since I've read those chapters.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I recently finished FLAG myself and I would have to say that it doesn't really have any sort of Islamic imagery that I can see. Surely there's a sect of Buddhism and the countries own religion and they coincide each other as a Izanagi/Izanami scenario where one brings death and the other life, but there's no mention of Islamic traditions or symbolism.

I haven't seen either of them but: anime#1181

This may or may not have any mention, but seems more like just using a classic and well known Middle Eastern intellectual property than actually attempting to display any imagery.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh okay. For some reason I thought FLAG took place in a Muslim country. But I haven't watched it in a while.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Islam is not embedded in Japanese culture. It's impossible for Japanese studios to accurately replicate Islam (or for that matter, Christianity) within their animations, because they don't understand it. It's simply not in their culture. Sure, they can draw characters with specific appearances, but they are not truly representative.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
That pretty much describes any religion not native to Japan. They may think it's cool, which influences why so many Japanese get married in those faux-Christian wedding centers, but none of them are Christian or hold any of those beliefs whatsoever.
yuri142

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
As a Muslim I was too wondering if there is any anime portraying Islam in it, other than Arabic themes (Magi/Beebop), praying scenes (Animatrix), I had never seen any closer than that,

If any, I'd like to watch some,
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
I realize that it's not anime, but have you read Brides' Story? It takes place in central Asia -- although, curiously enough, religion doesn't get mentioned.

(Well, I thought I'd just mention it.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4