• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Yoshiyuki Tomino [2009-10-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiyuki Tomino wrote:
I feel that anime and live action are basically the same thing, and so I directed it like live action.

FINALLY. Someone who feels the same way I do! Very Happy
orionism1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm not really sure where some of these statements he said were coming from, but he is older and wiser than I right? It's easy to pick his speech to pieces but it's different matter to actually be the one being interviewed. Plus it looks like the translations in this interview were a too literal and didn't catch the entire meaning that he was attempting to portray. The few things that did come across clear, like video games are useless mind vacuums other then their technical merits, is something I would probably just chalk up to the generational gap.

There isn't going to be a world to leave a message for in the Future...

Classic Tomino the pessimist. Gotta love him!

I wish the studio's would just let him be as dark as he wants to be. I think there is room for it, even it is doom an gloom. Of course I'd really love to see a revelation of glory and happiness in the future of mankind come out that old man before he dies. I'd like to think everyone should pass with a heart full of hope.
kaito2198

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
If anyone can read Japanese, I strongly recommend everyone to read this one. This is an article that introduces what Tomino concerned about the Games in complete.

Yoshiyuki Tomino's 22 contact with the Game
http://kaito2198.blog43.fc2.com/blog-entry-593.html

It will show that Tomino-san always pays attention to the Game and the Game Industry, and wants to join the project to make the game together.

By the way, I think this interview is very exciting and great one than those in Japan. Not just because Tomino-san usually talks more when facing foreigners, and also the outstanding interviewer of ANN.

This time of course the article I am most interested in is the RING OF GUNDAM, I am very sad about no one wants to give him the money to make the continue of ROG.
About the CG of Ring of Gundam, I think it's much better than others and I love the challenging spirit of Tomino-san. I prefer drawing animation like everybody, but why Tomino mad by Full-CG this time is because the director of Bayside Shakedown (踊る大捜査線 Odoru Daisōsasen)-- also a fan of Tomino -- introduced the Best Animated Short Film Oscars winner production ROBOT to Tomino-san, and Tomino-san wants to try this collaboration and challenge this new technique in the 30th anniversary memorial short film. About the continue, Tomino-san has said he can make it in any style and form if having the sponsor that means HE CAN ALSO MAKE A NEW WORK IN DRAWING ANIMATION OR ANY ELSE.

Since Sunrise or Bandai seems not to make a amatuer fund or something for Tomino-san, so fans(including me) cannot invest directly to Tomino-san and only pray somebody will wants to invest to this great challenger of Japanese Animation director everyday.

I mention Tomino-san as a challenger, but in fact, almost every work he made can achieve a quite pretty numbers in sales. When talking about the his worst work in sales number, we will say:"Hey, that's the too expensive The Wings of Rean, right?" but in fact, the The Wings of Rean's sales is more than half of the TV animation in this few years. Besides, in 2006 The Wings of Rean had mad a great achievement to attract more than 500,000 views in 24 hour which no other animation can be done even today, so I can't help doubting why Sunrise can use this amazing scorer to business, and I always believe that let Tomino-san do a new work can steadily earn money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2