• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Frank Marshall: Ponyo's U.S. DVD to Ship in March

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
If anyone @ ANN can contact Di$ney, I'd like to know about the status of Only Yesterday on R1. Anyway, I just hope I don't have to pay extra for the BD of Ponyo, just to own the DVD, like the company's doing with other titles.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
DEEEEEAMN!!! That was fast yo!

Funny I was just talking to a co-worker about buying it when it comes out. At that time there was no announcement. And of course friends and a student worker asked me if I had seen it. My answer was that I doubted that I'd get out to see it before it left the theaters. I wanted to take my niece to see it because I thought it be something she'd like. I want to introduce her to Miyazaki's films.

Yeah, what's up with that feature 'Only Yesterday'?
I thought they were planning on putting that out at some point. It's been what 3 or 4 years now. Did they ever pick it up for acquisition? But here's something I want to pass along. Has anyone noticed that many of the films that have have been released are now going out of print?
You can barely find a copy of 'Totoro' now.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrno: They have the rights, but people claim that Disney's not gonna release it, because it discusses, *gasp*, menstruation. Never mind that the company made its own educational cartoon about the subject, of course. Rolling Eyes Plus, if you're going to release a movie with racoon testicles on R1, I don't see why Only Yesterday should be excluded.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
yay! another one to add to my collection.

I wonder if Disney's going to release it on Blu-ray too? or if Ghibli is asking them not to because of that pesky "same region code but different prices" problem :/ but then again, picturing a company forbidding Disney to do anything is hard to imagine.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably go for a 2-in-1 BluRay+DVD pack if offered. I don't have a BluRay player yet, but I imagine I will by March, and, even when I do have a BluRay player, I could still have something new to watch on my portable DVD player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'd probably go for a 2-in-1 BluRay+DVD pack if offered. I don't have a BluRay player yet, but I imagine I will by March, and, even when I do have a BluRay player, I could still have something new to watch on my portable DVD player.

I would get the Blu-ray version no matter how it comes in when Disney releases it.
Elistan98

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quote
Ill upgrade my entire Ghibli collection to Blu Ray if given the opportunity. They are some of the few dvd's I would do that for.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
I would re buy my entire Ghibli collection if Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment gave them their diamond edition treatment. I bought the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Diamond Edition Collector's Set (a week early at Disney World) and it is unbelievably good. Watching the Blu-Ray you would never guess that the film was made in 1937, the re mastering and restoration are just amazing.

After some digging:
Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, and Castle in the Sky all have new editions being released in December.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Same here. just in case my daughter wants to see it on te other tv in the house (that has a DVD player) and the Blu Ray for the living room HT setup.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
I would re buy my entire Ghibli collection if Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment gave them their diamond edition treatment. I bought the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Diamond Edition Collector's Set (a week early at Disney World) and it is unbelievably good. Watching the Blu-Ray you would never guess that the film was made in 1937, the re mastering and restoration are just amazing.

After some digging:
Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, and Castle in the Sky all have new editions being released in December.

I do suspect that even those dates may be changed to coincide with the release of Ponyo.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
jsieczka wrote:

After some digging:

I do suspect that even those dates may be changed to coincide with the release of Ponyo.

and move it off of a Christmas release date, I don't know. My Neighbor Totoro is out of print at this moment and retail supplies are low so I don't think that it would move. The other two I can see them try to sell them as a "by the same director of Ponyo" type marketing.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not exactly sure how "special" the new editions of these R1 DVD releases will be, as I'm quite satisfied with the versions that I own.

Apparently there was one website who was asking if Kiki or Laputa will receive new dubs for their new releases (the owner of the site dislikes both dubs), but that's so unlikely to happen.

In fact, speaking of which, I recently had the chance to see more of the older dub of Laputa and even bits and pieces of the older Kiki dub.

I already pretty much know where I stand about the Totoro dub--both Disney's and the Streamline version are charming in their own right, but this was my first time seeing more of these previous, so-called "superior" versions.

Actually, the term "superior" can hardly be applied to the Streamline dub of Laputa that was initially released before Disney's version came along. Despite the argument that it's less loose and doesn't have the sometimes extraneous additional dialogue, I found it to be a hideous dub in every way; annoying, dull, or just plain goofy vocals, robotic, emotionless acting, and even more stilted, choppy writing. All those things really killed the older dub of Laputa. Even the less mature-sounding leads are generic and lifeless (Pazu's obviously feminine voice only showed me that it was a woman pretending to be a boy--not convincingly at that-- while Sheeta was irritating shrilly and high-pitched; both also were very robotic, acting-wise). While Disney's version of this film may not be without its occasional weak points, hearing this older dub only proved to me how better the Disney version is. I also feel that, while Disney's lead characters may not be as strong as the rest of the cast in their dub, their performances far outclass those of the older dub, despite sounding a bit too mature. The writing is much smoother, too, and the new score is a very nice bonus as well.

With Kiki, I felt that this version ties with Disney's version. It was produced by the same team who did the older dub of Totoro (Carl Macek, who felt that the older dub of Laputa was inferior to what he could do, produced that version as well as this Kiki). Interestingly, the voice actress for Kiki in the older dub is the same one who did Satsuki in Totoro, Lisa Michelson. She sounded good, although, having grown up with Disney's version, I kinda have a partial preference to Kirsten Dunst's take, as well as Jiji and Tombo's performances in the newer dub. The only difference in this older version is that it doesn't have the musical additions or Phil Hartman's wisecracks, but otherwise, it's pretty much on par with Disney's version.

I doubt if Disney will include these previous dubs on their new editions, although it would be interesting to see if they do (my bets are that they won't).

-Jon T.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Chrno: They have the rights, but people claim that Disney's not gonna release it, because it discusses, *gasp*, menstruation. Never mind that the company made its own educational cartoon about the subject, of course. Rolling Eyes Plus, if you're going to release a movie with racoon testicles on R1, I don't see why Only Yesterday should be excluded.

OH NOES!!! You gotta be kidding me? It's a coming of age story and that's the reason? Hell, and just when we got over the kids bathing with papa in 'Totoro'.

Well, y'know I never realized that. I saw the film raw years ago or subbed (can't figure out where) but I never quite got this film. Which is why I needed a closer look. But I agree if you can get away with giant a--HEM..."tanuki gems" then that shouldn't have been a problem. Gawd, talk about being so close-minded. Of course I'm a little skeptical about showing 'Pom Poko' to my niece because she'll end up laughing her 8 yr old a$$ off. Well, time to test this theory.

I advise folks that if they haven't purchased any the Ghibli movies do so. Because they're starting to disappear. Unless anyone knows why and if Disney plans to re-release them in better quality with the re-release of some films in 'Blu-Ray'.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
After some digging:

Do you have a source on this? I just noticed Totoro apparently starting to drop off the face of the Internet, and I'd rather not go into panic mode and scramble for a copy if I don't have to.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
If this is true then I guess I should wait. I had a slight feeling because some stores still expect older shipments. But I doubt that's the case. Now as for re-dubbing some of the features I approve of this. Especially, for 'Castle in the Sky'. For me I don't watch dubs anyway but I want a decent dub for my niece to watch. Disney's casting dept should have been shot in both knees for casting 'Van Der Beek' for 'Pazu'. His voice was WAAAAAY too old for the character. And he sucks. I think the only dub I ever cared about was the old 'Streamline Pictures' dub back in 88'. It wasn't perfect but it was on the mark with Sheeta and Pazu's voices. I've heard the 'Spirit Away' dub, it's ok. But if this is true then I'll just repurchase 'Castle in the Sky' and donate mine. After all who's going to buy it? Great news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2