• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Imagi's Astro Boy Brings in US$1.8 Million on Friday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
Oh man, this is a far bigger bomb than I expected. Looks like it'll make about 7 million for the entire weekend; I was expecting it to at least double that since there's really only one other kids movie out and it's live action. At this rate, it'll be lucky to earn half of it's budget and that is definitely not good.

To put things into a bit of perspective, Astro Boy just barely did better than Cloudy With a Chance of Meatball on its 36th day.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see a single ad. It will have to make its money back in rentals (If rental stores continue to exist).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to make it, but events (my daughter doesn't move from bed until noon because she's up until 4AM playing WoW) have conspired against me so I'll have to wait 10 days to use discount tickets for an evening performance.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808461950/info

Overall pretty good reviews here. C- to B from critics (including a B from Ebert) who seem to know the material to B+ currently (down from A- yesterday when I checked times) from yahoo users.

If anything, people are probably expecting it's for a younger audience. I will see it eventually in a theater.

http://movies.yahoo.com/

This has it at 6 above the vamp story I was sure was going to do much better because my teen commented it was about time they made the book into a movie so I assumed it had a following. Don't forget Wild Things is draining some of the kid audience. Some probably waited for the reviews before taking their kids to it. And some of the sci-fi fan audience (20 something up) are probably deciding on Paranormal (first week of wide release)or Saw this week. Actually, most of the time I go to anime movies in town the adults seem to take up the larger share of the audience.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
I see more Domo advertisement then the 1 commercial of astroboy.

I wonder if they made a Domo movie would it turn a better profit

Not bad for a character who started out as a promotional sidekick for NHK's BS channel.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
That's worse than Dragonball: Evolution, which opened to $2million at 2,000 theaters(of course this rapidly declined after opening due to terrible fan feedback). And worse is that Dragonball had much less promotion in America than Astroboy.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
SS_Vegeta wrote:
That's worse than Dragonball: Evolution, which opened to $2million at 2,000 theaters(of course this rapidly declined after opening due to terrible fan feedback). And worse is that Dragonball had much less promotion in America than Astroboy.

Better off it was this way anyway.
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:25 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
As for Astro Boy, I just went and saw it today, and I personally loved it. There were probably about 50-60 people in the showing with me, which was quite surprising. Lots of parents with their kids. I think I was the only person there by myself.
But considering that I've never read the manga or watched the original anime, or that remake that came out 2002 or so (?), I just went into it expecting to be entertained by a CG movie, and I wasn't disappointed. I'll definitely be buying this when it comes out on video... whenever that ends up being.

I'm watching the 2003 series as we speak (not right now of course). As for the movie, I went to watch it this weekend and I found it entertaining. There was a lot of good use of source material but the story was to American (corrupt politician using the military for his reelection). It might have gone better if they used someone from Astro's rogue gallery instead of making a new one.

All in all, I would recommend it for the whole family to watch. I'll even be looking for purchase it when it's available. B/B- would be the grade I'd give it also. It's no classic but it's fun to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3