• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nana DVD Box Set 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
So the plus is: One of the greatest animes of all time???

Haven't heard that in a plus since Monte Cristo, and guess what?!

He was right... 100%...

So if Nana has the honor of being called "one of the greatest animes ever made", then it automatically makes me interested.

There were a couple of times where they were wrong on the assumption though, like RahXephon, which was interesting and very intelligent, but the ending completely negated all that happened!!! I personally hate endings like that...

But I did like Paradise Kiss' style. It was very "human". Everyone behaved like very familiar. Like I was at school or something.

I look foward to buying this boxset since I make it a point to buy animes that are DIAMONDS. And as for the dub, I love the dub of Escaflowne, and if Kelly is in here, I'll be that much more inclined.
hakojo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
This review times a million. I'm so glad to see NANA getting the praise it truly deserves - I'm not usually one for dramas, but NANA is so raw and human that it had me hooked from the very first episode. A must-buy.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of dramas, and can easily say, by only watching this first boxset, that this is truly one of the best out there. It's emotional, realistic, dramatic when needs be, light and fluffy when it should be, and has a real heart. Plus it's a mature story, something we seem to be getting less and less of these days.

Oh and the characters are all live and real people! What a surprise! Like Nana K. is not at all what I thought she would be (not the total spaz, not the cheery generic female lead, she's Nana K!). She's totally not a copy-paste character. And neither is Nana O. (generic punky/dark character she is not), in fact no one in this series can fit nicely into that category or this one. The story, while anything but original, stillis very interesting. The music just rocks, and the artwork is nothing short of magical. Does it stay like this for all 47 episodes? Where did they get the money for this one...

By the way the dub is amazing too. One of my new favorites. Ocean has done it again with this one.

Did I mention I'm a dude? Razz Well this is something both guys and girls can enjoy that's for sure. I haven't seen a drama this good in awhile. This not only lives up to the hype, it surpasses it. There should many more fans of this great series out there.

Anyway great review. I gata agree almost completely with most of your points. But "best anime ever", we will see about that. It is very very very good though. Top Ten worthy? Maybe...
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
I'd been waiting to see what kind of review this show would get. I kept thinking that it would get a decent review, but to read this really excites me. I can't wait to buy these DVDs and watch the show again!

I've loved NANA since the first episode I watched. I think the simplicity of the show is what really makes it what it is. The story starts and then it just goes. And it really put me on edge because as predictable as it may have seemed it never really went the way I thought it would, and that just made me really want to just keep watching and see what happened next, bad or good. It's made me laugh, it's made me cry, it's made me mad, and it's ripped my heart out and now I want to go through it again.

Great review!
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Great review! I expected NANA to get no less.

I'm surprised to see no mention of the fact that the amazing, original first ending theme "a little pain" has been replaced by the slightly less affecting second ending "starless night", something which enraged me when I first heard it (and still does). I think that warrants a mention...
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
Well, here's a comment from someone who's not seen the series.

My curiosity has been piqued as I'm a sucker for "slice of life" shows of late. I can't get enough, so I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

Sadly, it's a two part set, which means I won't be rushing out to get it until I know for sure all parts are out.

I've heard rumblings of this one and most seem to be positive. That's a good thing, as it seems a "glowing 'A' series" is rare these days. Usually when a review states it has to be watched to be experienced, it means just that. Reviewers don't throw throws out often.

But in taking a look at the box art with the article, I have to ask: What the hell is up with "Episodes 1-11.5"? Does the last episode stop mid-way?

Please elaborate. I'm freaking out here.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
I never got all that far in NANA back when it first aired. I think maybe episode 4 or something like that. Really the only thing I remember is that both Nanas were massively unlikable characters. Especially the pink one.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

But in taking a look at the box art with the article, I have to ask: What the hell is up with "Episodes 1-11.5"? Does the last episode stop mid-way?

Please elaborate. I'm freaking out here.

Ep. 11.5 is a recap episode, love 'em or hate 'em. (I'll probably use it before watching the second set, whenever it comes out.)

And I'll raise my voice to the chorus as to how great a show this is. You're so wrapped up in the characters that when you realize you're done with the box set and you're gonna have to wait awhile for the next one, a brief bout of depression sets in. Wink It doesn't matter if you've read all the GN's, this really is great in itself.
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
11.5- they did not call the recap episode a full one, anytime you have a .5 ep it is an unrelated "at the bar" segment where characters talk about whats been going on lately

and its so good to see Nana finally out!
its a very raw and mature show which is definatley a rate commodity lately
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks all, for the ".5" elaboration. I've never seen it before and it struck me as odd, especially given they usually present themselves after all the episodes run.

Heh, learn something new every day.
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Petrifiedjello, this will actually be a 4 set collection. NANA ran 47 episodes and it looks as if they are doing 12 episodes each set.

I have yet to buy this set and hear the dub but I am eagerly awaiting it's arrive when I do find the cash. The 4 sets is a little much but I am just happy to finally have NANA legally. It took Viz way too long to bring this out.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
NANA Has Nothing on Clannad.

That's great, but we're not talking about Clannad. Now, why don't you go toddle off while us big kids talk about NANA?

Anyway, I'm really glad to see that this got such a glowing review, especially from Carl who seems to be very critical of most of the shows he watches (not a bad thing!)
This was a better adaptation IMHO than the Parakiss anime, and everything about NANA just...works. The music, the animation, the acting, everything. And it's just like Carl says, NANA makes you feel like you've fallen madly in love, even if it is with someone who will trample your heart. That's something that not too many series can live up to.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Right. A series about serious relationships between adult characters presented in a generally realistic manner has absolutely nothing on a series based on a dating sim game with a bunch of high school girls surrounding a single guy.

Right.

Boy, did I ever love NANA in fansubs, but yes, it's pretty torturous because none of the Nanas romantic relationships are healthy, and you know their hearts are going to eventually be broken and you worry it'll destroy their relationship - and then it ENDS. The final episode had a segment saying there would be a second season, and I really want it. A lot. This is one of the best relationship shows I've ever seen.

The only unfortunate thing is that right now I don't have enough money to invest in a 47 episodes series. Sad Ah well, it'll be on the wish list for later on.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Please stop making us moe fans look like idiots. Pretty please? With sugar on top? I know you're trying to help, but... You're not.

I remember loving the style and maturity of Paradise Kiss when a friend showed it to me a few years back, but I was a little hesitant to jump in with NANA... Stories about rock bands don't usually float my boat. But it sounds as though the focus is much more on the girls' friendship, which is refreshing. Josei titles had been feeling a bit too much like Lifetime movies recently.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
Just got the first box, not had chance to watch much of it yet but when I saw the first episode I thought "Oh YES!".

I'm hoping there'll be a second season once the manga finishes.
(Last I heard Ai Yazawa was taking time off with illness, hope she's recovering OK)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4