• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Hidamari Sketch, Glass Mask, Neo Angelique Abyss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
dizzon wrote:
Sentai has taken a page from Nozomi; identify the types of shows that are, or would be popular with anime fans that prefer watching subs. The only way Hidamari Sketch makes a decent profit in R1 is to be released sub only, it has an audience, but the vast majority of that audience couldn't care less if it came with a dub. I'm sorry if some of you want a dub for these shows, I doubt they will ever get one. Not because they can't afford it, but because they probably never planned to from the start.
That's cool, i'll just extend as much effort in buying the show as they did making it. :colbert:
Have you ever subtitled anything? It's not a zero-effort job, I'll tell you that much. And it's not like Sentai and Nozomi "make" these shows, anyway. I'm sure you know that, but why not support the very real effort put in by the Japanese creative staff and buy the products?

More people need to think like this. If the show gets licensed here, it means more money goes back to Japan and can result in more anime being produced. Watching the fan subs does absolutely nothing to support the creators. Buying the DVDs or watching the shows on sites like Anime Network or Crunchyroll does. And like you said, it does take a lot of effort to translate and produce subtitles for these series, especially when you are dealing with two languages that are as fundamentally different as English and Japanese.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm....I could see a potential for a dub on Hidamari Sketch, but seeing that this anime is distributed by newly made Section23 Films (which after ADV broke up), I think it is a wise choice to approach with subbing first since, well... it is a newly made company that broke off from a major one (being a person who prefer dubs, I don't mind officially made sub anime). Also, noting that the world is still under a recession, opportunities for dubbing is very limited (although I could say that the anime industry is doing better than the car industry in America). In addition, Section23 Films may not have enough money and resources to dub ANY anime.

Since there is no English fansub of Hidamari Sketch through Youtube, Veoh, etc. (tough anti-fansubbing I guess), this is an anime I'm looking forward to. Although being said, I don't think I may find it at Best Buy since it is subbed (from Fry's Electronics in California, maybe? But I don't live in California). If the sales of Hidamari Sketch is high enough AND demand for a dub is high, then a dub may be a possibility. But as a general rule of thumb, anime that are officially released subbed usually don't get dubbed ever (I used the word "usually" instead of "never" since there might be some incidences where an anime was released officially subbed first then later dubbed by the same or different company. Funimation is probably the most unique as they release anime episodes subbed first then dubbed in their website, but that is Funimation. Other than that, I cannot think of any instances where an anime gets released in the U.S. subbed first then released dubbed couple months or years later).
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Hmmm....I could see a potential for a dub on Hidamari Sketch, but seeing that this anime is distributed by newly made Section23 Films (which after ADV broke up), I think it is a wise choice to approach with subbing first since, well... it is a newly made company that broke off from a major one (being a person who prefer dubs, I don't mind officially made sub anime). Also, noting that the world is still under a recession, opportunities for dubbing is very limited (although I could say that the anime industry is doing better than the car industry in America). In addition, Section23 Films may not have enough money and resources to dub ANY anime.

Since there is no English fansub of Hidamari Sketch through Youtube, Veoh, etc. (tough anti-fansubbing I guess), this is an anime I'm looking forward to. Although being said, I don't think I may find it at Best Buy since it is subbed (from Fry's Electronics in California, maybe? But I don't live in California). If the sales of Hidamari Sketch is high enough AND demand for a dub is high, then a dub may be a possibility. But as a general rule of thumb, anime that are officially released subbed usually don't get dubbed ever (I used the word "usually" instead of "never" since there might be some incidences where an anime was released officially subbed first then later dubbed by the same or different company. Funimation is probably the most unique as they release anime episodes subbed first then dubbed in their website, but that is Funimation. Other than that, I cannot think of any instances where an anime gets released in the U.S. subbed first then released dubbed couple months or years later).

Actually when ADV first started out, all their releases were subtitled. It was until sometime later that they started dubbing releases. At the point, not only did they dub their new releases, but they also went back and dubbed the various series they had previously released sub-only. Bandai also dubbed CLAMP School Detectives for the DVD release, several years after the sub-only VHS release. So while it's not very common, it's not entirely without precedent.

Also, I think it's pretty likely that these titles will end up in Best Buy, as all the previous Sentai releases have. Clannad, After Story, and Ghost Hound are actually carried in the majority of Best Buy stores, even those will smaller anime selections. In fact, they're carried in more stores than many of Funimation's new dubbed releases. Whether a title is subbed or dubbed has nothing to do with it. Which stores carry a title is determined based on their overall sales of anime, and how similar titles have done in the past. My store stopped carrying One Piece after we failed to sell any of the first two sets, but we sold through our allotment of Clannad, so these things vary greatly from store to store.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Other than that, I cannot think of any instances where an anime gets released in the U.S. subbed first then released dubbed couple months or years later).

Central Park Media went back and dubbed Domain of Murder many, many years after they originally released it sub-only (and not only is it an excellent dub, but a great show to boot!). CPM also originally released They Were 11 sub-only on VHS in the early 90's, and dubbed it and re-released it (on VHS) in the late 90's (another great anime!). And of course later they released it on DVD with both sub and dub Wink . Then of course we have the Gurren Lagann thing with Bandai. Although they released it sub-onlyfirst, it was due to the license agreements (they needed it on the street by a certain date IIRC). Then they dubbed it for the Sci-Fi (SyfY) airing and dual audio DVD's. Then of course we have the more obvious examples Dragonrider Cody has pointed out. So while you are correct in that once a series is released sub-only it's rarely dubbed down the road ( and even less chance of a dub on some of these in this economy, and with anime DVD sales in the toliet), but it has happened in the past, probally a few others as well. But it is a very rare thing. And I personally wouldn't expect it to happen much more (hell anymore) in the future, unless the industry starts to do really well again or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5