• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya (hardback)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
I'm going to agree with everything in the review.

Only thing I really have to add is, Sigh is not the strongest book in the series it's also one of the shorter books that have one story plot to them.

About character development there's the stuff with spoiler[Kyon can't trust any one's points of view for Haruhi now, as Itsuki, Mikuru and Yuki could be lieing on there true goals. It wasn't touched on very much till the last chapter but it plays a bigger role later down the road]

I mean it's nothing big, but it's foreshadowing kind of.

Still this part of the story was interesting at best, I know out of the 9 books so far I rank Sigh as a lower rank as it was just kind of boring and lacked a good laugh like the first nook did for me.

On the hardcover side of things, I say go for it, the paperback cover rubs off quickly (color wise at least, after a week of carrying around the cover has white strikes in it)
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
I’m already in the middle of this book, and it’s just as amazing as it was when I saw the Anime series adaptation of it some time ago. It cleared so many things up about the curiosities of Haruhi’s movie from the very first episode. During the story, I was like: “Oh, so that’s why Nagato was wrestling Mikuru!” “Oh, so that’s where the talking cat came from!” “Oh, so that’s the deal with Haruhi’s disclaimer during the end credits!”

I was just as stunned when Kyon got truly mad at Haruhi for the first time, spoiler[enough to ready to punch her. ] The characters may be one-note, but anyone would already know that’s intentional, as it’s a kind of parody of all the usual Anime clichés before it heads off into its own unique direction, which it’s obviously doing (so of course Kyon would be infatuated with Mikuru unconditionally, and not be aware of Haruhi having feelings for him in her own strange way for the time being). Maybe the characters will remain one-note all throughout, but no doubt that will be intentional and pave way to surprises. The end left me with mysteries that make me really want to know what will happen next. I really hope Yen Press keeps coming out with this imaginative, smart and clever light novel series.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
This gets Bs while Naruto gets As?

Has the 3rd book been confirmed yet?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

Different reviewer. Casey was the one who basically wrote a press release instead of a review for the latest slew of Naruto volumes ("no wonder everyone's reading Naruto!").

Quote:
Imagine that, a Japanese light novel that's actually readable and natural-sounding in English!

No kidding! I loved the Guin novels, and have a guilty pleasure for the Vampire Hunter D series, but the translations are really awkward. The first volume of Haruhi was highly readable (as are Tokyopop's release of the Twelve Kingdom books). Yen Press' translator (whoever that is) gets high marks for that. I wonder if they'd be willing to do Baccano!...?[/i]
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping Yen Press picks up Baccano

I mean so far there Haruhi translations have been great to read. I hope there job on the Spice and Wolf novel is as good to.

Still no news on if the 3rd book got picked up yet. I'm betting we will here news by the end of the year for it. They have been doing a release every 6 months so far so if they get the 3rd book they would release in April like the first.
west_tx_tapper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Has the 3rd book been confirmed yet?

Amazon.com already has a listing for the 3rd book (The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya) by the same publisher, but lists a release date of August 2010.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't trust Amazon with release dates

I would wait till the U.S book site for TMoHS releases a date, or some form of we are going to release the 3rd book type deal
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Different reviewer. Casey was the one who basically wrote a press release instead of a review for the latest slew of Naruto volumes ("no wonder everyone's reading Naruto!").

Specify the Caseys for sake of not screwing with time and space!! @____@
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Casey Brienza. Who I usually call Ms. Brienza when I'm being a little pissy about her reviews... Embarassed
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Uh, also, this review is not written relative to a review of Naruto. They are not all judged against one another, that isn't what reviews are supposed to do.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
John Casey wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Casey Brienza. Who I usually call Ms. Brienza when I'm being a little pissy about her reviews... Embarassed

Yeah. Right. So population_tire...they aren't talkin' bout me. It's all cleared up. No problem. No problem whatsoever.

I don't work here. Anime cry

Also, Zac, you've been in the Death Star Cocktail Lounge for the past seven years. Ain't it time to find a new hangout...?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Also, Zac, you've been in the Death Star Cocktail Lounge for the past seven years. Ain't it time to find a new hangout...?

It's an effectively intimidating avatar, good for a forum moderator.

And you're right, Zac, about the pointlessness of comparing one review to another. Each review is (or should be) for the item being reviewed and not in relation to all other things reviews. This gets a "B" because it's good but not brilliant; that doesn't automatically make it "worse" than a series that might get some As, especially in the world of anime and manga where you have multiple volumes to review.

I, of course, think the grading system is mostly useless anyway, so just read the reviews instead, as well as the positive and negative summaries.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
John Casey wrote:

It's an effectively intimidating avatar, good for a forum moderator.

I ain't talking about the avatar, I was just talking about his hangout. The problem with the cocktail lounge is what happens on bad days when he has a few too many Storm Shooters. Ban hammers flying in droves...

I mean...there's always the Mos Eisley Strip Joint. If you ignore the six-breasted belly dancers....
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
What interests me about the series is not so much about the nature of storytelling as it is about how people relate to stories. Haruhi wants to be in one, or more precisely, to experience things that are only seen in stories, that could not possibly be real. She wants to live the sort of life that she'd want to read about. She's disillusioned with the real world, where stories are just stories, and has decided that she prefers them. The only things holding her back from abandoning reality altogether are her connections with other people, in particular Kyon -- the person least like what she's looking for, but in some ways, the one most like her.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
I ain't talking about the avatar, I was just talking about his hangout. The problem with the cocktail lounge is what happens on bad days when he has a few too many Storm Shooters. Ban hammers flying in droves...

I mean...there's always the Mos Eisley Strip Joint. If you ignore the six-breasted belly dancers....

We drive him to drink. Especially when we get massively off-topic. :p
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2