• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Demons You Wouldn't Exorcise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'd splashy holy water in Sebastian's face any day. Guy's a creeper.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Since Inuyasha made the list, I guess youkai count, and not just pseudo-western demons like Urd and Beel?

If so, the list needs Nyanko-sensei.

(As a guy, of course, I'd not-exorcise a bunch of bishoujo "demons," like the Shuffle devil girls, and show the list's top four the door instead.)
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Just a minor nitpick. InuYasha is a half dog demon, not a dog demon. His older half brother, Sesshomaru, is the full dog demon. I only mention this because it was pointed out in Urd's description that she was a half demon.

On a more positive note, I had a couple of giggles from seeing the results of the parent poll. Genma made me laugh the most (who in their right mind would want to be raised by Genma?). I also had to chuckle at Goku and Chichi. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd say a fair chunk of the cast of Inu Boku Secret Service would make good choices for this list, though in their case they aren't even half demons (crunchyroll used "monster" in their subs, but I can tell in that in the Japanese they are saying "youkai"), just people whose ancestors mingled with demons and in whom the demon blood is particularly strong in. Still, if that's enough to qualify, I'd go for them. Picking just a single person from that show to include would be hard, though, so I'd just cheat and say the entire cast, aside from Nobura and maybe Kagerou. That's my number one choice at least.

Still, good choices for the list, though I question the pick of Sebastian. I haven't seen the show or read the manga, only heard the premise, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Sebastian spoiler[serve Ciel as part of a bargain where at the end he can eat Ciel's soul?] That makes Sebastian a lot more sinister and evil than the other choices on the list.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering Beelzebub's purpose in coming to Earth is to destroy it, I'd exorcise the hell out of him, baby or not. I agree with the others on the list except Sebastian, but I haven't seen the anime so...

Also agree with Nyanko-sensei. It would be really fun to have him around, even if he did eat you out of house and home Anime hyper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Genma proved several time throughout the series of how awful a father he really was. Got Ranma nearly killed too many times, abandoned his wife, and made stupid pledges.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
@Tris8

Heartless bastard!!

Well I agree with everything on the list, except of course sabastian, but thats simply out of my bias hatred towards bishies...

besides even if someone tried to exorcise beel they'd have to get through Oga first...and well... if anyone's read the manga (the anime can burn in a fire) that won't exactly be easy...powers or not.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised Junko and Tomohisa Kaname didn't rank in the poll.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Since Inuyasha made the list, I guess youkai count, and not just pseudo-western demons like Urd and Beel?

Well, technically youkai are different than Western demons so, personally, I don't think Inuyasha counts (but, then again, in the English dub, he is referred as a half-demon so I guess translation issue?)

As for traditional Japanese art, I would love to learn either Ikebana or Ukiyo-e painting. There's plenty of "How to" Origami books but I would learn better from a flower arrangement or a woodblock teacher.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I think there was a typo in Urd's description:

Quote:
Technically, Urd is only half-demon, something she shows anxiety about through out the series. Effectively denying her demon heritage, Urd focuses on caring for her siblings, drinking sake, and flirting with Keiichi. Her powers are only matched due to her refusal to accept a 1st Class Goddess license, but her intentions are usually good. Urd isn't above lying though, assuming that she thinks the ends justify the means.

Shouldn't "Her powers are only matched" be "Her powers are only fettered" (or words to that effect)?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Japanese is werid in the sense they have akuma, youkai, and oni. All three terms I have seen refer to a creature as a demon in various works, yet on the other hand they all also have their own meanings. Technically oni is a type of demon though. Akuma on the other hand can also refer to devils, and youkai can refer to spirits. But I would say given Inu Yasha's depiction he would generally be classified as closer to a demon in terms of the western use of the word.

It should also be noted that there is no uniform Western definition of demon. Often times a demon is a synonym for a devil at other times it refers to a being specifically different from a devil but with a similar nature.

Urd on the other hand is closer to half devil, not demon, her mother is basically Satan.

And is that a John Doe sighting, by far one of my favorite characters, we really need another season of dream eater merry.

Also I agee with everyone else, Beel you can excuse because he is a kid and was just sent by his father , but Sebastian is pretty evil and only playing the part to get Ciel's soul. Its possible he might have a change of heart before the story is through, but Mikami from Inu Boku a better example of a friendly demon butler.

I will also add the characters from Onhime Vs and Princess Luca, or how bout some love for the cast of DxD. I maybe biased as a guy and turn a blind eye to some of the less savory tactics of these female demons , but surely even for the ladies Isssei is a good enough guy that he does not merit exorcising.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
@Tris8

Heartless bastard!!
Twisted Evil Throw the little tyke into a pit of stag beetles!!!
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

If so, the list needs Nyanko-sensei.

Yes!!
Nyanko-sensei FTW!!
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Well I agree with everything on the list, except of course sabastian, but thats simply out of my bias hatred towards bishies...

My, my why the hate? You know, Inuyasha is also bishounen, right? I'd argue that most current styles of drawing males in manga are bishounen since they certainly share little in common with the more realistic looking guys you'd see in GTO or other classic manga. Compare #4 and #3 pics to also see this dynamic.

Last edited by dragon695 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Also most of the demons from gash bell...well the ones gash allies with, some need to be exorcied *cough**cough*clear*cough*faudo*cough*cough*
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

[...] personally, I don't think Inuyasha counts [...]

Hm, since he's the only really youkai-ish one on the list (though I have no idea what Jama-P is supposed to be), who would we replace him with if we did want to limit it to western demons?

I vote for Chrno/Chrono. (Since he plays a similar sort of role in his story.... demon boy loves spiritually-powerful human girl who has a magic widget to keep him under control, and together they fight teh evilz.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2