• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IMAGI's Astro Boy Film Adds US$3 Million, Drops to #8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, this movie is about $55 million away from breaking even?

If I'm understanding right... wow, ouch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
About the only thing that surprises me is that it dropped less than 60% on Hallowe'en weekend. I was expecting a drop of more than 70%.

Still a bomb, though.

EDIT: I suppose it's simply that when a movie opens that low, the second weekend drops aren't going to be as spectacular as it probably would have been had the film opened around $10 million.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darksharingan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Up until now, not one American remake of any anime has been great.

Transformers
Dragonball Evolution
Speed Racer
Legend of Chun Li
Astro Boy

all mixed reviews or negative.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if a person with a Death Note avatar should be judging the quality of American movies, when those Death Note movies are of even more dubious quality.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The Speed Racer movie was awesome. Reviewers and audiences totally dropped the ball with that one.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I don't know if a person with a Death Note avatar should be judging the quality of American movies, when those Death Note movies are of even more dubious quality.

That doesn't make any sense. At all.
Since when did origin of a person's avatar have any relation to the validity of their opinions, especially when the avatar has nothing to do with the subject of the news piece?
Where did that comment even come from? And why? Confused
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
The Speed Racer movie was awesome. Reviewers and audiences totally dropped the ball with that one.
I agree with this. I don't understand why so many people disliked Speed Racer. I thought it was accurate, colorful, and fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's that all that many people didn't like the Speed Racer movie, it's more that most people weren't interested in seeing a live-action movie about Speed Racer.

It's the same reason why the Astro Boy movie flopped: just because you can remember watching a TV show when you are young, and may even have fond-but-hazy memories of that show, doesn't necessarily mean you're going to rush out and see a remake of said show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
While other people may have disliked the Transformers movie (I haven't seen the second one yet), I enjoyed even if it was "Hollywoodized". The 2 films collectively have made over $1.5 billion globally. Thus, these are really the only "really good" American movie adaptations of anime thus far.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
^

Change your "really good" to "successful" and you are right.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
While other people may have disliked the Transformers movie (I haven't seen the second one yet), I enjoyed even if it was "Hollywoodized". The 2 films collectively have made over $1.5 billion globally. Thus, these are really the only "really good" American movie adaptations of anime thus far.

The interesting thing about transformers is that it is half american and half JP. The JP created the toyline and other countries created the TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1