• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Air Raid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Ugh-One Piece-I'd rather have my eyes burned out with a flaming poker than watch it! As for FMP-The 2nd Raid-twas' pretty good. Shamanic Princess is one of my favorite shoujo ovas.

Last edited by zrdb on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
To everyone, who read that later comment, I somewhat apologize...

I meant what I said, when she isn't doing as clear-cut of a job going through these releases as the previous guy was...

I mean in FMP, sure there were questionable aspects about everything, but those key factors, could've been weighed in properly to counterbalance the bad.

There were a LOT more good than bad aspects about FMP: SR, enough to make it Shelf Worthy...

While I did find the last one pretty pleasing, the One Piece just set me off like a flare!
Sure I liked that part too, but she must of gotten caried away, because, no one can really be convinced that something is that tearwrenching, unless they see it for themselves.
And she has a habit of constantly mentioning other titles of anime as well. I try to make it a habit of hardly ever comparing anime together unless it really needs an anchor point.

I overracted last night, but I still do feel like I was saying a couple of valid points, so yeah...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm really surprised, FMP has always had one of the better-regarded dubs out there. Why the hate?
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
Will everyone in here just shut the frak up, and get a GODAMNED LIFE!?

This is a COLUMN! And in a column, the editor expresses his or her own personal opinions that they otherwise wouldn't be able to make in an ol' article or editorial!

A whole lot of reporters would kill at the chance to get their own column, so before ya'll start bitching, whining, and moaning, just keep in mind that you're making her hard-earned job a whole lot less pleasant...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Will everyone in here just shut the frak up, and get a GODAMNED LIFE!?

This is a COLUMN! And in a column, the editor expresses his or her own personal opinions that they otherwise wouldn't be able to make in an ol' article or editorial!

A whole lot of reporters would kill at the chance to get their own column, so before ya'll start bitching, whining, and moaning, just keep in mind that you're making her hard-earned job a whole lot less pleasant...

Any reviewer understands that not everybody is going to agree with his or her opinions. In a situation like here at ANN where a talkback section is available for users to respond to a review, it's understood that the process isn't going to be one long "good job!" every time. Naturally, the hope is that anybody making comments, either pro or con, does so politely and respectfully as requested by the rules. The mods seem to do a pretty good job of enforcing this so, frankly, having a self-important loud-mouth figurative yelling about what others should or should not post isn't really useful.
ikari22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
Stop writing Blu-ray DVD or DVD on Blu-Ray, it's either Blu-ray disc or a DVD, they're different things.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
I do have to say, I liked Bamboo's style more than Erin's. That said, she's new to the job, so who knows how it will pan out? I've read Bamboo's earlier columns and wasn't as impressed with them; it can take a while to adjust to a new formula.

I do disagree with her evaluation on one point: Tokyo Majin is Perishable. I know I shouldn't bitch about something I watched in fansubs since I saw it for free, but part of me wants to demand that part of my life back. The first episode was awesome enough that I spent the whole first season hoping it would get back to that level - and it never did. I didn't even bother with the second season. So I write her to exhort you all to not bother with it. There's much, much better series out there that you could be spending your time on. Like Baccano!, whose box set I just pre-ordered.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
This guy gets bonus points for having Arrested Development on his shelves....funniest show ever made. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I mean in FMP, sure there were questionable aspects about everything, but those key factors, could've been weighed in properly to counterbalance the bad.

There were a LOT more good than bad aspects about FMP: SR, enough to make it Shelf Worthy...

That's not really fair....Everyone has their own dividing line between what is worth owning forever and what is worth renting and watching once, and Erin made it pretty clear where her line was last week:

Erin Finnegan wrote:
I believe very strongly in the "Shelf Worthy" rating system. When it comes to buying anime, unless there's a very good sale and/or I'm working a very lucrative job, I usually ask myself, "Would I watch this again?" or "Would I loan this to a friend?" If the answer to one of those questions is yes, I'll buy the series. Otherwise, I'd rather stream it, rent it, or watch the broadcast.

I think that's a pretty fair distinction for her to make, and something for everyone reading the column to take into consideration as far as her "shelf worthy" ratings are concerned.

Otaking wrote:
And she has a habit of constantly mentioning other titles of anime as well. I try to make it a habit of hardly ever comparing anime together unless it really needs an anchor point.

Now that's just silly. One of the most basic ways of reviewing something is telling people "A is like B, so if you like A, you'll probably like B." Seriously, go to any music review site in the world and see if you can go more than 2 or 3 reviews without finding one that says something to the effect of "this band kinda sounds like this other band." I bet it's impossible. And that goes for anything you could possibly review: movies, books, and, yes, anime. It's a very effective short-hand way to communicate to the reader if he or she might like something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I'm really surprised, FMP has always had one of the better-regarded dubs out there. Why the hate?

I didn't hate it, but FMP (the first, yet to watch Fumufoo or 2nd Raid) didn't really impress me that much with the dub either considering how well received it was even with fans who usually only watch subs (I thought the same of Gundam Wing). Sure, it was a good dub, but given the hype I was expecting something at least close to Bebop or FLCL level dubbing. (and yes, I got fed up with Gauron's spoiler[continuous survivals, he should've stayed dead after the "everyone dies but Sousuke" mission]). Though I have trouble imagining the 2nd Raid villain being worse, it wasn't in the anime, but in the light novels, Gauron had plans for Sousuke that would make even the yaoi shippers want to vomit.

Also, Erin, I like your style and such, so I'll add another voice to those who like how you're handling the column. I think Bamboo found a worthy successor based on what I've seen so far. Keep up the good work! Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ on a piece of toast, what is this war of wits I see going on here? I never expected to see this on Shelf Life. Come on you guys, that's enough. A review is a review, don't get so bent out of shape about it.

I, for one, am grateful she reviewed Second Raid. I've thought about skipping Famoffu and just go into it.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
jgreen, I understand what you're saying about comparing "A is like B", but in anime, that sort of rating can instantly destroy a person's interest in something...

It'd be like comparing RahXephon to Neon Genesis. Sure they may sound the same, but they ARE completely different!
Mentioning what titles made her cry, to further support her point in One Piece was a little much...

Planetes and Totoro are COMPLETELY different experiences from One Piece, not to mention how different they are from each other!
In Shelf Life, you don't give long-winded summaries on one scene and expect people to be satisfied. They're were plenty other scenes too!

I just found her reviewing style to be bit esoteric. Adn even though I'm being a bit unfair about her FMP section, the fact remains, that she's thinking a bit more about what "she" would do, rather than what fans would think overall.

So what if you think this title is worth watching, or loaning to a friend or not, the point is if the release has aspects that make Shelf Worthy, Rental Worthy, and Perishable, based on what contents it has, and how well it uses those elements to make it's story more unique than "more of the same".

I hear what you are saying j green, but this style of reviewing Shelf Life is not a proper way to treat these titles.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

Planetes and Totoro are COMPLETELY different experiences from One Piece

Yeah, I didn't get nearly as emotional when I watched Planetes and Totoro as I did watching One Piece.

Also, Erin did a great job summing up the arc while not giving away too much. Drum Island is probably my second favorite arc of One Piece, right behind Arlong Park.
johnmora

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Erin's entitled to her opinions, but...

Blu-Ray DVD? Really?
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Any reviewer understands that not everybody is going to agree with his or her opinions. In a situation like here at ANN where a talkback section is available for users to respond to a review, it's understood that the process isn't going to be one long "good job!" every time. Naturally, the hope is that anybody making comments, either pro or con, does so politely and respectfully as requested by the rules. The mods seem to do a pretty good job of enforcing this so, frankly, having a self-important loud-mouth figurative yelling about what others should or should not post isn't really useful.

But people aren't being polite, or respectfully disagreeing. Some are, but a good chunk isn't. They're being bigoted douchebags, and that's the problem.

My yelling is like chocolate pudding. It doesn't fix the problem, but I like to pretend that it does, and feel all good on the inside. Hmph! Mad

While my heart burns with the passion of justice and good, know this: I will ALWAYS do battle with evil, with my golden fist of righteousness flaring brightly like lightning from a tiger, as well as an assortment of other anti-evil powers such as caps-lock, bold, and italics - exclamation point, hoh!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7