• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Beast Player Erin Episodes 1-25 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orion_star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
My biggest gripe with this show, and it was mentioned in the review, i the annoying sidekick duo. Words cannot describe how annoying they are.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
This is a fantastic review, and I agree with just about every word. (Those two things aren't necessarily connected, but perhaps in this case...) However, I must also agree with the above. Although I would not want to put anyone off the show, watching the sidekicks is like [simile censored]. To experience episode 25, which is entirely about them, is to experience a kind of Hell that will permanently reduce your emotional quality of life. The review needs to make this danger more explicit.

To everyone else: please watch this show. And please, for the sake of your soul, avoid its 25th installment.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gone are the accumulated years of mix ‘n’ match genre tropes and ADD bombast. Gone are the tried-and-true first episode hooks and fan-baiting gimmicks.

You mean...someone wants to tell a story rather than imitate their favorite anime and make jokes? NO WAI

Lack of unclever self-awareness may be why I've found children's anime to be the most consistanly watchable series lately.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and not afraid to trust in the intelligence of its audience.

this is so true. too many animes lack this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm so glad to see this series finally get some attention. I agree with the review as well, except for the "B" in animation. Personally, I think the water-colour like backgrounds and architecture of the show are gorgeous. Definitely not your stock fantasy series look. The art used to render them makes me want to live there. But then again, I don't know if the animation score pertains only to those things that are actually animated...if that is the case, then I understand the B.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
Erin might be the best fantasy series of 2009. It's a shame nobody seems to care ...

Quote:
as if its creators reached into the past and plucked a tale from a time when storytelling was still young.

By the way, in Japan Erin has been referred to as "Heidi of the 21st century".
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure that it's such a throwback. It's a show produced for NHK, and there's been a decent number of shows for NHK this decade that have had a similar strong storytelling focus.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
Denno Coil Wink Amazing series .... still waiting for this to get released outside of Japan >.<
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 am Reply with quote
Well hopefully this will give the show a little more exposure, god knows it's such an awesome so that it certainly deserves it?

Quote:
children, not tots—though never objectionable, it has dark undertones and some shocking plot turns that will send wee 'uns scurrying for cover

Heck that plot twist had me wanting to have a good cry, I would have been inconsolable for the rest of the day if I had seen that plot twist when I was a kid.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
I can understand why people would late the show's Laurel and Hardy. I enjoy them and the show as a whole. Before CrunchyRoll picked it up, I was hoping some company (especially CrunchyRoll) would pick it up because the fansubs were slow, and this was/is among one of the most underrated 2009 shows.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
I'll have to check this show out. I was curious about it. Since ANN is streaming it has someone considered it for a release here or is it just having access to it?
Everminde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Been following Erin since it first came out, and have been consistently thrilled with it. Expect, of course, the sidekicks. They're just painful.

I'll have to disagree with Blood-, and agree with Carl that the animation deserves a 'B' overall. While gorgeous water-colored backgrounds, I've noticed a constant recycle of footage; a prime example being spoiler[Soyon's death, where they constantly re-use the footage of the Touda attacking Soyon]. Later on, too -spoiler[ when Lilan first learns to fly.] While it does work, I find myself annoyed with it whenever it pops up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Actually, Shirachi-ko, I agree with you that flashbacks are over-used in Erin, but I'm not sure it is fair to lower the animation score for that. That, after all, is an editorial and creative choice that really has no bearing on the quality of animation itself.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
It's always good to hear about an excellent series-to-watch-with-kids coming out. So much kids' entertainment on both sides of the Pacific is just trash to sell a line of product, so if Production I.G. is breaking that trend with a great fantasy story, I applaud them. Unfortunately I've got too much on my plate right now to watch this just yet, but as we anime fans and otaku get older and start breeding, we need something to introduce our kids to, right? So somebody license this and give it a good dub. Kids' shows are where you really cannot skip the dub, and ought to put the most effort into it.
Everminde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, Shirachi-ko, I agree with you that flashbacks are over-used in Erin, but I'm not sure it is fair to lower the animation score for that. That, after all, is an editorial and creative choice that really has no bearing on the quality of animation itself.

The problem isn't the flashbacks - re-used footage is to be expected - I mean the re-use of it during the same scene. I believe they used the same exact scene at least four times when spoiler[the Touda killed Soyon.] In that episode. While I applaud I.G. for tastefully incorporating it into the episode, it happens a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2