• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva, Metal Gear Creators Judge Twilight Art Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Kohta Hirano thinks...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
hopefully he pretends that this doesn't exist as Alucard being in the same presence as Meyer's grotesque ideas of "romance" would cause the franchise's existence to burst into flames and rid us of godawful vampire cliches. Thank god for stuff like Blood+, Trinity Blood, Hellsing, and Vampire Hunter D.

and seriously Rozarie, don't think you're any better with somehow stereotyping us as whiny, overweight shut-ins or something. I despise bad movies, writing, and entertainment just as much as any sensible person should and that is why I am sick of so much drivel getting popular.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
This is hilarious. I love it.

And hey, Sadamoto being a Twihard might explain a thing or two about some of the romantic subplots in the EVA manga! (Haw haw haw haw.)

PS- chillax, thread, it's just a crummy book. It's happened before and it will happen again!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
An explanation of what was going in the artist's head when they were doing the original Eva TV series and movies or comics is what would make me laugh.
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I've just lost a lot of respect for both Sadamoto and Kojima. As an English teacher, the Twilight series makes my blood boil. I had a chance to punch Stephanie Meyer about a year ago, and as much as getting kicked out of my favorite Borders would have sucked, I really regret not taking that chance. And she says Shakespeare is one of her influences. Rolling Eyes The Bard must be rolling in his grave. Yuck.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I find it hard to believe that the man who gave us the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo would be a fan of Twilight, let alone a huge fan.

Meh, whatever. I like Kojima for what he creates, not for what he's a fan of. If I had any drawing talent, I'd totally enter this contest just to have a chance of getting an autographed copy of MGS 4. That was the best movie game ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Man Kojima's just hemorrhaging man points.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Hey, at least Hideaki Anno himself isn't doing this (as far as we know). I am sure it's safe to say that everyone that has posted on this thread knows he was clearly messed to come up with Evangelion.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Hey, at least Hideaki Anno himself isn't doing this (as far as we know). I am sure it's safe to say that everyone that has posted on this thread knows he was clearly messed to come up with Evangelion.

Yes, yes, we all know Anno was suffering from depression and undergoing a nervous breakdown when he did Eva. Why do you keep bringing him up and making potshots at him though? He has nothing to do with this article.

Anyway, I think you guys are over-reacting a bit. If Sadamoto and Kojima like Twilight, then let them. Yes, the books are badly written, yes, the romance is awful, and yes, the vampires are wimps, but there are some genuinely good parts in the series. The stories regarding how the werewolves came to be, or Rosalie's death, or Carlisles life as a young vampire were interesting and caught my attention. And honestly, there's no harm, or shame in enjoying trash every now and again.
A part of me thinks that if Twilight was originally released as a shojo manga or anime, you guys would all be singing its praises.

And now, I have to go smack myself, because I've actually defended a book series that I spend a lot of time making fun of.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the book series. It wasn't the best book ever. But I enjoyed them. Then years after the movie comes out .....The overall hype is as bad as Harry Potter. The Twilight movies are terrible >.<. It is a shame there are people bashing the series because of the hype (I understand that completely). They were just books after all, but because of this hype it has turned people off.

When I read the books I wanted an anime adaption, but now that would be a bad idea. Seeing these crazed ass fan girls obsessed with that greasy Rob slob crossed with anime noobs....
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact that somebody will get an autographed copy of MGS4 because of Twilight is pretty awful.
JadeLiCat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A part of me thinks that if Twilight was originally released as a shojo manga or anime, you guys would all be singing its praises.

Yes! Thank you! I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that. All I hear at cons now is people whining about this series, yet if had started out life as a shojo manga/anime, you'd all worship it.

I think what alot of people need to do is take a look at pretty much a good majority of shojo manga, look at the plot, the characters, everything. And then compare it to Twilight. Don't know about you, but I noticed the similarities ages ago.

What I don't understand is why everyone here feels the need to insult anyone who likes the Twilight series? Not everyone who likes the series is a fantard, there are intelligent fans who know the book has flaws and can make fun of the series as well.

The sad part about all of this is that I know if I expressed my honest to god opinion about Anne Rice, which I can assure you is a very negative opinion at that, you would all be after me like a pack of dogs.

All because I said I disliked something that you liked.

What ever happened to respecting people's opinions about what they enjoy and don't enjoy? A Twilight fan and someone who is anti-Twilight can still be friends and talk about the series with intelligence without the need to kill each other.

Also, has anyone here actually read all four books from cover to cover? I have, so I think any criticism I have on the books would be considered legitimate.

And to the English Teacher who said they should have punched Stephenie Meyer, I have to ask you, what would you do if you caught someone reading the book in class? Would you fail them simply for reading something for pure entertainment? What if that person was someone who could talk about the book intelligently?

I’ve also noticed that you guys keep bad mouthing Twilight, yet no one here has mentioned her other novel. Is anyone here even aware that she has another novel besides the Twilight series. It’s called The Host. Look it up. I would love to hear your opinion on that novel, if you’ve actually read it that is.

And finally, I can assure you all that there is stuff out there far worse than Twilight.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
yeah c;mon guys, have your fun making fun of them for a bit. But everyone has their stupid fetishes/likes for something a lot of people would consider crummy. Even people of great stature or respect can occasionally indulge in some tripe.

Street Vendor Hot Dogs aren't healthy and aren't classy gormet. And I could be the best chef in the world. But so help me, sometimes I love a hot dog. MMMMmmmmm! I indulge!

Take a lesson from Ratatouille and the conclusion the stuffy top food critic had to make at the end. Sometimes it's the simple, mediocre, or downright stupid things in life that get us by.

I can love smart intelligent and sophisticated comedy as well as the occasional crude children's bathroom limmerick.

So don't let it get to ya...

Also this Twilight thing sounds no different than Vampire Knight and anime/manga is rife with things like this...

Last edited by jdnation on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
It's not surprising that Twilight franchise garnered attention from well known Japanese media creators.

I found this article from Animeanime.jp. Here's rough translation from a part of the article. The article covers "Twilight" promotion in Japan.

http://animeanime.jp/report/archives/2009/02/post_138.html (Japanese)

"...Anyway we understood the popularity behind the "Twight" series. And so why would our site, which is Anime and Manga specialty, covers "Twilight"? In reality, this "Twilight" series not unrelated to trends of Japanese animation and comics in oversea..."

"...In reality, ICV2 referes that "Twilight" is the only publication that takes away fans of manga..."

"...When we looked at the "Twight"'s concept, like Japanese Shojo Manga or Light novels appropriate for young women, we recognized that it is flowing with theme that captures universal feelings of (young) women.
Those are innocence, ideal boyfriend, fantasy, major change in ordinary girl's fate and etc. These are why "Twilight"'s attraction is sure to reach Japanese teens."

If it has universal theme that goes across borders and oceans, who says such thing has to be Japanese media only?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
well, duh there's stuff a lot worse than Twilight. However, does that mean people just need to accept that and let this mediocre series run rampant? Answer: NO. And furthermore don't think for one bloody second that anime fans would somehow let this slide if it were an anime series. That's nothing short of stereotyping because I can assure you that I HATE vampire series that devolve into syrupy, convoluted angst regardless of country of origin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4