• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Hitman Reborn Yujin Deformed Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The lack of Reborn! merchandise featuring, well, Reborn, makes me giggle. Seriously, I've never seen a title character that the fanbase has cared about less. Come to think of it, I've seen fans raving about Reborn! for ages now but I don't think I've even once heard a single person mention Reborn-the-character. That's tragic.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why anyone cares for the series at all. It doesn't have anything that makes it stand out.

Cool figures though.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I disapprove of the lack of Krauser.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
There's too much Mukuro and Hibari merchandise! I've always wanted some sort of figures from the series, but not SD. There is a nice PVC figure of Tsuna (with Reborn!) which is nice, but I'd like them to make 3 inch collectible non-SD figures, the kind One Piece and Bleach often get.

As for there not being enough merchandise of Reborn the character...despite the series being named after him, he's more a of a mascot than the main character. There is merchandise of him, but most of it is plushies and such.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
Definitely getting individuals, not sets, from the sounds of it. Sad, but not heartbreaking since I know at least some of 'em are made well. Anime catgrin
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone cares for the series at all. It doesn't have anything that makes it stand out.

Cool figures though.

I'm thinking you've never actually watched the anime or read the manga? I mean, a baby hitman grooming a Japanese kid to become the leader of an Italian mafia family by shooting him in the head to help him overcome regrets doesn't stand out? It's a surprisingly good series and even though there's some editing between the manga and anime to make the animated version a bit more kid friendly, it retain some extremely creative and pretty smart writing. They even turned something kinda silly sounding like the box weapons - which sounds like a surefire toy tie-in like battle tops and marble shooters, but remains untapped by any toy manufacturer - into a creative way to fight (think Pokemon, but if there were both animals and weapons inside the balls). The series starts kinda slow, but by the end of the first season it turns into a very good action series and continues to get better as situations become more tense and desperate.

As for the figures, almost as bad as there not being a Reborn is that the only Deathperation Tsuna in the first three sets is a chase figure. You'd think there would at least be the early version in boxers.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Cool figures though.

I'm thinking you've never actually watched the anime or read the manga? I mean, a baby hitman grooming a Japanese kid to become the leader of an Italian mafia family by shooting him in the head to help him overcome regrets doesn't stand out? It's a surprisingly good series and even though there's some editing between the manga and anime to make the animated version a bit more kid friendly, it retain some extremely creative and pretty smart writing. They even turned something kinda silly sounding like the box weapons - which sounds like a surefire toy tie-in like battle tops and marble shooters, but remains untapped by any toy manufacturer - into a creative way to fight (think Pokemon, but if there were both animals and weapons inside the balls). The series starts kinda slow, but by the end of the first season it turns into a very good action series and continues to get better as situations become more tense and desperate.

As for the figures, almost as bad as there not being a Reborn is that the only Deathperation Tsuna in the first three sets is a chase figure. You'd think there would at least be the early version in boxers.

Emerje

I agree The series does stand out for that which made me really get hooked on it which made me become a really huge fan for the storyline and the characters.

I love those figures!!!! I want some so bad!!! Hopefully I can get them for my birthday in a copuple of weeks. ^^
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
Reborn! is an okay series.

It was cute and funny during the Daily Life Arc, and then got pretty intense during the Varia Arc. However, after these I suggest not going farther unless you want to deal with the Future arc. I find it to be too gimmicky with the box weapons and constant training/tournaments. The art improved a lot, but the plot is just....beh. Unless it turns around or something.

Although most people's interest in the series is geared moreso towards the pairing factor with the male cast than the storyline, anyway.

Anywho, the figurines are cute, although I'm wondering how many of the cast they'd be able to include in the full series.
kathreftis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Well, I didn't think that I would like Reborn when I first started on it. The Daily Life arc put me off and I would have probably dropped the series if not for a friend's insistence that it will get better. And it did.

Though I must say that the TYL/Future arc is a little slow at the moment it is a series worth watching/reading.

As for the figurines, I must agree that the quality is a little lacking when compared to the previous set. To me, at least, the Dino with his eyes opened doesn't quite look like him, but it is the little details in each figurines that makes up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1