• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Legends of the Dark King Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Oh, man, there's a name I haven't heard in ages. I remember searching for eons to find every issue of Stainless Steel Armadillo back in the day...

Well spank my rump, another fan of Ryukihei! Is it really possible? I have everything Ryukihei ever created myself (Ryuu Seiki, Dragon Wars: The Tale of Lufiak Duell and all issues of Steel Armadillo), except for his original Dragon Breeder manga, which is impossible to find since it only appeared in a long since defunct magazine.

And let's not forget, he did do the character designs (human and dragon) for the Emerald Dragon game, which I wish I'd played Anime cry

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:

Still don't get the hate for this series. One day someone will have to go over why Dragonaut is so "bad" step by step, point by point. Maybe that's because I've only seen the first episode on Funimation On Demand, or maybe because my tastes are very different then everyone elses. But I just don't get it. Unless it drastically changes and goes down the tube real fast, this can't be that bad of a show. Despite all the hate for this, I actually enjoyed the first episode a lot. It's nothing amazing or groundbraking or anything, but it's a cool show, with an interesting setting. My problems with it have to do with it being a big-boob-a-thon and the terrible CGI, but both can be overlooked as long as the story is there. So far it's there...Really the way people treat this, you'd think it be like MD Geist or something. Hell even that has more love then this seems to be getting, although I can't grasp why... Razz

Well to be honest Prede, I did love the anime a lot. It was made for a dragon-centric fellow like myself, but it has its flaws visually. I actually did review the anime fully on my DA account and explained its good and bad points. As I said, if they could have just eased up on the boobs and hand drawn the dragons, then it would have been a much better show.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Emi: New Fist is more like the movie, in terms of violent content. But in terms of story, it's akin to that scene in Heavy Metal they parodied on South Park.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Having not seen any of those, that information is completely useless to me. What I want to know is, would a fan of the TV series enjoy New Fist of the North Star? And would it be best to watch the TV series first and, if so, how much of it?

And do other people agree with Jong Wu that fans of the TV series will not like Legends of the Dark King?

OT: I am so glad that Dragonauts skin is gone. My God, was that hideous. Do men actually find that thing attractive?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Well spank my rump, another fan of Ryukihei! Is it really possible? I have everything Ryukihei ever created myself (Ryuu Seiki, Dragon Wars: The Tale of Lufiak Duell and all issues of Steel Armadillo),

Laughing I wouldn't call myself a diehard or anything -- I bought both Stainless Steel Armadillo and Dragon Wars, yeesh, about 10 years ago, but I doubt I could pass a quiz on what they were about. I do remember liking them, though, particularly the art: his art is great in that it's a very typical, straight-ahead style but it's still very recognizable as his. Kinda like Johji Manabe in that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Laughing I wouldn't call myself a diehard or anything -- I bought both Stainless Steel Armadillo and Dragon Wars, yeesh, about 10 years ago, but I doubt I could pass a quiz on what they were about. I do remember liking them, though, particularly the art: his art is great in that it's a very typical, straight-ahead style but it's still very recognizable as his. Kinda like Johji Manabe in that way.

Quiz, hehe. I bet I'd pass one on any Ryukihei work with 100%, showing just how crazy my obsession with him and his dragons is. A shame I can't write to him and praise him for his work. His dragon style is really a breath of fresh air whenever I look at it.

When I first saw his work in Ryuu Seiki, I really enjoyed how he drew dragons. He had a style all his own. The humans were typical of what you'd expect from an 80's anime, but the dragons were really something else to me. I guess you could say typical in one sense, but there was just a magic to them I can't describe.
moohoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
F+ wow wow n wow sorry ill have to say thats a bit off. thats pritty much saying its as bad as a boot leg....come on Twisted Evil
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Emi: The thing about the Fist tv show is that it's made for a younger audience which Toei and Shueisha were trying to hook into buying action figures. The OVA is for veteran fans who grew up on the much more violent manga. So, if you were irked that the show wasn't violent enough, then you'll probably dig New Fist. If you like the emphasis on "character development"-i.e. filler-on the show, then you might be upset that the OVA's a more like a reboot without the supporting cast than an extension of the original series. But you don't need to watch the tv version first, to get into the OVA. Though the OVA has definitely got Basterds-like gore, so you've been warned, if you're squeamish.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
No wonder people don't take these reviews seriously. The FoTNS is good in its own way IMO.
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
What I want to know is, would a fan of the TV series enjoy New Fist of the North Star?

I am a big Hokuto no Ken fan (known in the west as Fist of the North Star). I love the tv series, but as usual the Manga is the best (wasn't too fond of HnK 2, but it's still slightly ok)

Now about Shin HnK, it's tough to say what put me off from liking it. It's probably that it has little to add to the HnK legacy.

Sad to see the reviewer being such pretentious git, bashin' the original HnK in the review.

HnK is not high art as someone said, it's like an comic or animation version of exploitation cinema (also known as Grindhouse). Mish mash of 2 well known genre's from Exploitation Cinema, Road Warrior PA (Italians made enough rips of Road Warrior to make it a genre) and Hong Kong Kung Fu Cinema. Which made a very entertaining adventure serial, with one of the most iconic stories Japan ever saw. Now that reviewer might so far up his arse to enjoy such wonderful series (talking original HnK here, not Raoh Gaiden), but HnK is def one of Japans good 'uns.

I've read bits & pieces of the manga version of Raoh Gaiden, wasn't really impressed with it. Jagi and Rei Gaidens where more interesting.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
If you point out the fact that the fights are one-sided in FotNS and list it as a negative, you're missing the point entirely.

The point of FotNS is not to be a manga with fights in it, it's to watch bad guys get their come-uppances in the goriest, hilarious, most violent way possible.

Unfortunately MAOH DENSETSU misses the point too... Raoh is just to amoral and self-righteous to be a likable 'hero.' Except to Japanese nerds, but their opinions are irrelevant (especially considering all the Zeon fans...).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
By the way, the word "brontosaurus" is an outdated term. The official term for the dinosaur is "apatosaurus."
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
Finally finished it. Didn't like the first half enough, but it gets better in the second half. Not enough to avoid wishing they did more with it, but enough to at least make you interested in more of the series. And yeah, after reading the review, I'm not sure what Carl expected from a post-apocalyptic fighting anime. As for the budget, yeah, you can tell a big chunk of the show was farmed out to S. Korea, but it's still got good production value overall.

Oh, and what the hell did he find wrong with the making-of? It's like every omake thing I've seen on every anime in the past. About the only weak part was when the manga-ka for the spin-off tried out for voice-acting.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to point out that the dialog in Fist and Dark King were *never* intended to be translated... It's all stuff that sounds cool in Japanese but awful in English, no matter how it's translated...
Royogre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
all Kimlinger's reviews from what I have heard are just him bitching about shit trying to be controversial with his retarded ass reviews.
From what I have heard he has learnt jack shit from the backlash, Go watch your slice of life shit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2