• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Strange Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Actually Konami did release Beat Mania in N/A some time ago but it didn't fare well over here. Probably due to marketing or what have you. Some game show was dissing beat mania completely >.> which was really sad since it is an awesome game and hard to play.

Plus I think Konami should have sued them over taking their ideas. I think they did not bring Guitar Freaks here because the home version did not fare well in Japan.

To be honest, Beatmania US was utter crap and who ever was in charge of it had no idea what they were doing. 5key mode only had one difficulty (as opposed to 3), terribly out of sync songs and some of the worst tracks from that franchise. It's like they forgot that a lot of songs appeared in DDR and failed to work that angle as hard as they could.

Whatever, it was a cheap new controller. And we all laughed at 4play's "Beatmania is a Guitar Hero rip-off."

Also, you know why Konami hasn't sued over Guitar Hero? Activision licensed the idea from Konami -- I think Konami's name even appears somewhere in GH3's credits.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, quite a big X Button this time. Let's see what we've got...

Arc Rise Fantasia: Not out in Japan? Then how is it my two friends in Japan have been playing it and putting up vids of the boss fights on YouTube? Anyway, I still want this game. It'll definitely give the Wii some room for potential RPG releases (and Tales of Graces isn't too far off either).

Sky Crawlers: I guess I'd have to watch the anime to really appreciate the game. I still haven't yet.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom US: I can definitely appreciate games with crazy crossovers of various characters. I own both Marvel vs. Capcoms after all. I don't know how in god's name I'm going to get this game (or any game for that matter) considering where I'm going soon.

Keio Flying Squadron: Oh my god, I actually remember that cover from Blockbuster years ago! Too bad I never tried the game. That dragon looks so cute! Then again, I didn't have a Saturn at the time, so there's no way I could have.

Lufia: I have to admit, that box cover might have been the earliest in my life I've seen anime-style art. It's essentially what drew me to the game and keep on going on with the series as a whole. Sadly the original Lufia is the only game in the series I don't actually own. I only rented it because no store carried it anywhere at the time and I eventually gave up looking. Some of the best RPGing in my life was thanks to that series, long live Lufia man (which is empty to say since they haven't made a new Lufia title in 7 years now and I won't count the mobile phone game Estopolis Biography DX since no one can get that one).
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Do we have UK release dates for those Wii games? I'm desperate to give my Wii some more loving...

I quite liked Another Code: R A Journey into Lost Memories, though it might be a little slow paced and fairly short. Still, there was at least one puzzle that was purely ingenious, as with Two Memories.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
I feel Wii is unfairly shunned for all of its efforts
RedLeader wrote:
I don't see HOW people can say Wii doesn't have any games or "it collects dust". Really, I can't.

and
Showsni wrote:
Do we have UK release dates for those Wii games? I'm desperate to give my Wii some more loving...
Hmmm, International dust even. It's too gimmicky for me to take seriously and I'm not alone on that. Still, I will have it eventually.
belvadeer wrote:
Keio Flying Squadron: Oh my god, I actually remember that cover from Blockbuster years ago! Too bad I never tried the game. That dragon looks so cute! Then again, I didn't have a Saturn at the time, so there's no way I could have.
You really couldn't have because part one was on Sega CD. Saturn has the super difficult Keio Yugekitai,though. That I'm also fond of.

belvadeer wrote:
Lufia: I have to admit, that box cover might have been the earliest in my life I've seen anime-style art.
Lufia was far from my first, but it was one of my favorites. Rpg fans take a lot of things for granted. Truly. Imagine you're using your strongest attack in a desperate move to survive being annihilated, just to have it hit absolutely nothing, because your 2nd in command had faster speed and killed it before you got there. Oops. That's Lufia, but you just have to deal with it.

I have a love/hate with the old days. Razz
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
Oh, it gets used quite a lot; but it's kind of set up in my room for single player games, and set up in the lounge for wii fit, sports, etc. and moving it back and forth gets annoying. Though currently I'm neglecting it a little to play Pokémon Platinum. The main thing is, I really like RPGs, and I don't have many of them for my Wii. I guess I could replay ToS or Baiten Kaitos, but then I'd get upset about the prequel never being released...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
Tales of Symphonia and Kaitos were fun, but see....I'd be doing the same thing, just playing Gamecube games on a so called seventh generation system. I have all the consoles (and most of the games) that the Virtual console offers.

I'm waiting just a bit longer to pick up the few worthwhile games and throw them into the collection. Mostly first party, unfortunately.

You mentioned Baiten Kaitos Origins? Was it not released in the UK? Or were you talking about TOS Dawn ?
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
Baten Kairos Origins. Never got a European release, despite us getting the first game...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:23 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit let down that Yatterman-2 isn't going to be in this game after all. What happened? Not enough time to program her properly into this game?

I still use my Wii frequently, though I must admit that I haven't gotten anything for it for some time now. I jsut play the same games I've played for years. I must be odd in that I seem to derive endless fun out of some of them...the most baffling to most people being Pokémon Battle Revolution.

I should go get A Boy and His Blob, as it's $40 instead of the usual $50. But Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a higher priority, since I get the feeling that if the game's already getting bashed left and right for the obscurity of Tatsunoko in the west, it's REALLY going to get verbally brutalized when the general public knows of its existence. It's going to need all the support it can get.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Baten Kairos Origins. Never got a European release, despite us getting the first game...

You didn't import it? Nothing extraordinary, but well worth it if you liked the first one. Too bad Namco seems to have abandoned the series, I'd gladly take more Baten Kaitos over more Tales.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
"Island of Happiness"? Let's try "Island of Anger". That game made me SO mad playing it! And they're making a sequel to it! I thought DS Cute was bad, then I got IOH, and went straight back to Cute. I'll probably go back to IOH when and if I feel the need to be angry at a video game.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually pre-ordered Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands and have enjoyed almost every Harvest Moon game I've played for the last 10-11 years now.

At least with Sunshine Islands, its not all stylus only. Extremely painful after while playing the previous version. But that could just be me, since I've been playing video games for nearly 16 years plus years now.

I am glad there are other people who actually played and remember Lufia. Although not the greatest game of the 90's, it was ahead of its time with the story and interesting battle system. Though this probably won't happen for a long time or possibily ever, I really wouldn't mind see a remastered Lufia I for the PS3 or DS.

As for Phantasy Star, Todd, I am one of those old school gamers. The graphics aren't nearly as great looking as the previous game version and that is a a major, major issue with me. I am exceptionally picky with graphics, so I am not sure if I'll pick this up or not.

Great column as usual Todd, thanks for the job well done.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile...

Oh hohohoho!
Edit: Seems like Atlus' servers are once again cursed from the US Strange Journey announcement.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Showsni wrote:

You didn't import it? Nothing extraordinary, but well worth it if you liked the first one. Too bad Namco seems to have abandoned the series, I'd gladly take more Baten Kaitos over more Tales.

I'd need some way of making American games play on a PAL system, wouldn't I? I've never really looked into importing much...
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering, what game is the chciken avatar-picture for this week's X Button from?
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
Just wondering, what game is the chciken avatar-picture for this week's X Button from?
It's from Fragile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3