• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zipang Ends as Kaiji Kawaguchi Plans Next Manga in 2010

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted to check out the anime version of this, but it's out of print and hard to find. Hopefully the manga will get licensed sometime.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope they finish the series in anime form as well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
I hope they finish the series in anime form as well.

Well given the "ending" of the Anime, the show was desperately begging for another season (or two). One the one hand they didn't want to make up some drivel like what Claymore did. On the other, it didn't wrap up anything at all. The problem is, as much as I absolutely adore Zipang, I don't see another season being made in the next few years, whereby it will be too late. I'm surprised it was even adapted in the first place, given how it has no fanservice, no Lolis or Moe characters, and a distinct lack of Shounen Jump -style cliches.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to read/watch this.

Need the manga in English...
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I just want to know if they get Back to the Future.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm surprised it was even adapted in the first place, given how it has no fanservice, no Lolis or Moe characters, and a distinct lack of Shounen Jump -style cliches.

It has a distinct Japanese right wing male baby boomer's fantasy-styled cliche. Same for Kosaku Shima series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Airforce1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
Zipang was an anime that other animes should adapt to. It was well written and actually had a point to it instead of a lot of crap that is coming out of there now. I can see a second season to it.
Kasakitis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know the chapter number for the last chapter? Or rather, how many volumes that would leave to be published? I'm just about to order volume 42 after looking through volume 41 (which has chapter 404 as the last one) and that volume left me feeling like it was starting to get wrapped up. Which seems likely with this piece of news...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
It has a distinct Japanese right wing male baby boomer's fantasy-styled cliche. Same for Kosaku Shima series.

See, I didn't get a right-wing vibe from the Anime. I haven't read the Manga, so maybe that's what you're talking about.

But going back to the Anime, it was very humanistic at times, extolling the virtues of life, and the crew went to painful lengths to avoid having to fire on anyone, whether they were the Americans or the Imperial Japanese. Surely if it was right-wing it would have advocated that the Mirai should immediately ally itself with the Imperial Japanese Navy instead of spoiler[taking most of the season to arrive at the same conclusion?]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Having watched both Zipang and the Final Countdown, I can say that Zipang handled the situation more thoughtfully and with more caution.

I loved the anime, but I can't call it perfect because of the horrible cut off end from the studio. I hated it with Berserk and with The Twelve Kingdoms, and others. I almost want to ask "Why bother doing a series if you can't goddamn finish it?" Because lord knows these titles will never be picked up for continuations.

I am interested in checking out the manga, but anime made everything more tense and desperate when things such as heated vocal dialog and music cues are added in, as well as the much needed sound effects accompanying the various craft and armaments. I hope the manga ends well, but not awkwardly like The Final Countdown did spoiler[I really did want to see those corsairs and Tomcats take down all of the zeros]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
See, I didn't get a right-wing vibe from the Anime.

It would have been a failure if you could pick up the vibe with ease. Remember that Morning is designed to be read by those in the same age group and similar educational backgrounds of Kawaguchi and Hirokane (first generation baby boomers), known as Dankai no Sedai (団塊の世代) in Japanese.

dtm42 wrote:
But going back to the Anime, it was very humanistic at times, extolling the virtues of life, and the crew went to painful lengths to avoid having to fire on anyone, whether they were the Americans or the Imperial Japanese.

The moment they saved Kusaka there's no "avoiding" anymore.

dtm42 wrote:
Surely if it was right-wing it would have advocated that the Mirai should immediately ally itself with the Imperial Japanese Navy instead of spoiler[taking most of the season to arrive at the same conclusion?]

Negative. If Kawaguchi made Mirai to ally itself with IJN immediately then the story would be laughable and no foreign audience would bother reading/watching it. Kawaguchi has significantly improved his storytelling compared to his previous work. Unlike the more straightforward TSS, Zipang conveys a not-so-evident message saying "the modern JMSDF is peace-loving and is different from IJN," which is still quite a propaganda to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Unlike the more straightforward TSS, Zipang conveys a not-so-evident message saying "the modern JMSDF is peace-loving and is different from IJN," which is still quite a propaganda to me.

I can see what you're trying to say. But that's not propaganda so much as social commentary.

And doesn't Zipang show the peace-loving crew of the Mirai as being sympathetic and largely pacifistic? That would seem like a faint left-wing bent, wouldn't it?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And doesn't Zipang show the peace-loving crew of the Mirai as being sympathetic and largely pacifistic? That would seem like a faint left-wing bent, wouldn't it?

Pacifism != left or right

With the exception of armament merchants and strategic resource (e.g. petroleum) traders, few capitalists love war because it often hurts business; on the other hand, many communist parties have waged wars throughout the 20th century.

What TSS and Zipang in common is their insinuation of "Japanese is the best race on Earth, whether at war-mongering or peace-keeping."
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This is such a great series, and I'd love to see Viz or someone else pick up the manga. After Eagle doing well, there's still a chance, now its finished. I hope Viz can give us some more Kawaguchi alongside Urusawa's work.

Continuation of the anime would be cool too. I'm lucky enough to own the full box set of the first series, but it was a huge task, as I had to track down individual copies. I pray someone does look to completely animate the rest of it.

In a world where most of this season anime is bilge, we need mature, thoughtful stories like this. Sure, Zipang is a bit nationalistic, like a lot of Kawaguchi work, but is still awesome and deserves a wider audience.

Love the Final Countdown too (now there's a film that deserves a remake.....wake up, hollywood).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1